• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

air intakes, filters, options for breathing better....

I have a K=47 and sucked the restrictive indicator down to the red after a prolonged tow at full throttle up a 6 percent grade for a mile and a half. The ATT was registering a whopping 23 psi boost for a sustained minute. I also should say that my filter is the large standard factory filter and it is clean. HUMMMMMM

Turbine Doc had the same problem, after installing the Amsoil Nanofiber replacement filter, no problem.

are you going with the 9" 3 inlet dave? who do you deal with for your amsoil needs? i am waiting for wrecker "the oil geek" to chime in.... does he sell those universal filter too? hey dave, when are you installing your banks kit? which turbo do you have with the kit? is it a rotomaster or a mitsu?

Yes I can supply you with the Universal Nanofiber filters, no problem.

The Banks kit will be going on in the following month or two. I was waiting until i no longer needed 4x4 so i have time to tear into the truck and do everything properly. I'm not sure which turbo it is, but i'll check it out for you guys. I was going to install everything and then mock up the air intake. Not exactly sure how i want to build it yet since i'll have to see what space i have with the banks air filter box removed.

The 9" 3 inlet filter sounds like a good choice. Hopefully i'll have the space to put it in.

I used to get all my Amsoil filters/oil from one of the staff on DP at his cost, but he no longer sells the stuff. He wasn't selling enough to make it worthwhile. I've been searching for a new Amsoil "guy" for a while now.

Iamavailable, Iamdave. :) I give all TTS members discount pricing.

I purchased a generic Nanofiber filter from wrecker. I got the 4" ID on it, will come down to 3" into the turbo. I got the kind with a cone in the top of it too.

do you notice a big difference with the nano-fiber filter buddy?.....opps just re-read, you are not using it yet?

do you notice a big difference with the nano-fiber filter buddy?.....opps just re-read, you are not using it yet?

I havent put it on yet. Although I dont think I would run a dry filter exposed. My filter gets really dirty being exposed under the hood. Probably because of the high boost sucking everything into it. With the oil filter I have been washing it after like 6000 miles.

I'm running a Nano-fiber filter in my pickup. The first thing i noticed was that the WOT whistle was nuts. I could hear it before with the Wix paper filter, but not like that. The truck seemed to accelerate faster(seat o pants wise), and it definitely smoked less.

After running Amsoil filters, I'll never run anything else. The only reason i'm running paper filters in the blazer is because i didn't want to buy an amsoil filter for the N/A housing and then ditch it when the Banks kit goes on.

I havent put it on yet. Although I dont think I would run a dry filter exposed. My filter gets really dirty being exposed under the hood. Probably because of the high boost sucking everything into it. With the oil filter I have been washing it after like 6000 miles.

amsoil has a re-usable oil filter? hmmmmm my shopping list is gaining momentum even as we speak...LOL

Slim Shady

I have a K=47 and sucked the restrictive indicator down to the red after a prolonged tow at full throttle up a 6 percent grade for a mile and a half. The ATT was registering a whopping 23 psi boost for a sustained minute. I also should say that my filter is the large standard factory filter and it is clean. HUMMMMMM

Are you running a stock k-47 box or have you opened the air intake bigger?

You all are killing me with more new ideas.....:eek: I was going to ditch my open AFE coned filter and try to customize something out of the origional box that is in the truck. The top would be open(but closed from heat due to the hood), the snorkel removed and the "hose" hole from turbo customized to allow it to come through and fit to a 4" 90 deg elbow.
Now you all have me tossed on which filter to go with. I was considering K&N. The AFE did bery good for years but hard to find. It is now a bit beat up due to the way I removed the last box. Learning curve.:rolleyes5:
I thought about a temporary paper filter til I find the one I really want and will work the best as I want to get this done this week while the weather is nice and I need this beast to breath. Wanna get the stacks done at the same time. If I had a bunch of $$$, I'd have alot done on her this week.:thumbsup: Keep the info coming!

Forgive the picture Re-Post, this is what I did for the AFE with some thin plastic, paint and excess fuel hose.

DSC00752.jpg
DSC00751.jpg

It works for me, probably better with a new filter. This set up was given to me and I'm very greatful for the gift so I'm not unappreciative, it's just seen a lot of miles from the PO and me.

Most experiments i've made with CAI's and intakes in general (limited experience with diesels though) is it's important to have a big good quality filter, some protection from the rest of the engine bay and it's best to use plastic material tubing (like stock or K&N) as it doesn't absorb heat.

Metal tubing doesn't cost a significant loss in performance but if you're striving for the most power you can then plastic intake tubing is worth the investment.

Oops I meant "oiled" filter, air filter that you wash and then spray oil on it once it dries. Its like a K&N, and I dont particularly like it.

My original Amsoil was oiled coarse foam outer prefilter with oiled fine foam inner that replaced the K&N oiled gauze that came with my Banks stinger setup, the Amsoil foam at one time tested best at Diesel Page's test run years ago around 2000 when I bought mine, it's outer foam & foam seals where it coupled to the MAF sensor/sensor bypass & intake tube I made finally gave it up, IIRC Amsoil no longer makes that one, and have been replaced with the Nano Filter element from Donelson I'm running now that I got from Ashton aka Wrecker.

With the GM-8 and fooled boost with the K&N I could routinely set the dirty filter DP indicator even with a clean filter, and only occasionaly with the Amsoil foam setup, with the ATT I would set the DP minder with the Amsoil foam, now with the nano filter I no longer set it unless really putting the truck through it's paces with hard accelerations.

Back