• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Box Relocation

Looks "Perfect" Bruce!

More pics of the HX........Please!

Any comments on the HX?

I had a Issue withe the 5th wheel I bought, but I did tow it home about 45 miles, some pretty good grades was able to accelerate up the grades EGT never went past 900f highest boost i saw was 12-13psi crusing at 65 level ground the boost was 2-3psi all in all I am satisfied with the Turbo

Dammit!

You're sucking up all my ideas!

;)

No crap! I've been planning to do this for a while, but everything on my truck seems to take me 10X longer than I think it should! OK, I'm gonna be the first to put a ricer-style 'fart can' muffler on a 6.5... Surely no one else will try that before me!

All I can say is "WOW". That looks awesome!!! Put a little color inside the engine and outside for that matter.

It looks like the stock K47 airbox there, if so have you checked filter restriction on it yet? I know of a person who re-used his K47 airbox in his 99 BURB DURAMAX project, and he has problems with the intake tube collapsing as the K47 simply can't flow enough air to keep up with a stock DURAMAX LB7. With the turbo you're running you may be approaching a point where the K47 could be holding you back. I know that a DURAMAX AFE stage 1 air filter kit can be made to fit up front where you relocated your airbox to without alot of work.

It looks like the stock K47 airbox there, if so have you checked filter restriction on it yet? I know of a person who re-used his K47 airbox in his 99 BURB DURAMAX project, and he has problems with the intake tube collapsing as the K47 simply can't flow enough air to keep up with a stock DURAMAX LB7. With the turbo you're running you may be approaching a point where the K47 could be holding you back. I know that a DURAMAX AFE stage 1 air filter kit can be made to fit up front where you relocated your airbox to without alot of work.

I doubt mine would collapse, Its 3 inch steel and carbon fiber

Enough vac and somethings going to collapse even if its the element. I could possibly run into the same issue, but think its OK.

Here's a question then, say someone were to mount the battery at the back against the firewall like the new GM trucks and put the overflow/expansion tank where the airbox was. Do you think one could mount the banks intake with super scoop up front and run the scoop down under the bumper? The banks kit comes with a 5" bellow and appears to bottleneck down to fit the turbo on the 01-04 dmax. If that is possible then I may be making a junkyard run to find the tray and expansion tank to test the theory once I order the new turbo.

I'm going to be ordering the cko hx40 soon and thanks to you Bruce you have me wanting to relocate the airbox and battery.et me know what you guys think bc I think I can make this work.

Have not seen the Banks, but seems like it would. When there a will...
Got any pics of the Banks.

You would have to modify the inner fender and maybe core support to run that scoop, but seems like you could modify that scoop and draw air from the GM hole like Bruce did.

Relocating the battery to the rear and moving the coolant tank to the middle is possible as I have done this with mine. I do not think the 6.5 style coolant bottle will work, but i did it with a DURAMAX bottle. As for the air filter, it is TIGHT up front behind the headlights. And a stock DURAMAX airbox will not fit, so i highly doubt the BANKS unit would fit up there either. I went with the AFE stage 1 for the DURAMAX, and had to cut it down a good bit to fit under the hood and behind the headlights.

Back