• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Add 2 cycle oil to fuel for my '99 Ford 7.3?

Only TCW-3 2 stroke oil.

A lot of us add it to our fuel and I believe it works. Diesel nowadays don’t lubricate like it used to. I use roughly 1/2 oz. of TCW-3 per gallon of fuel.

As to the fuel economy. I don’t know if it helps there or not. I started adding 2 stroke oil to my truck as soon as I got it so I don’t know about that part but I do believe it helps the IP and injectors last longer.

No on the mpg help. There is stuff you can do For that, but usually it is cheaper operation use not actually mpg improvement that people want. And you, my new friend, have a nice advantage in that aspect over most the GM crowd. You have a db pump not a ds pump. If that is the quest, speak up.

As for the 2 stroke- Jayrd hit the nail on the head. Older diesel fuel had sulfur, lots of sulfur, which without it in our ulsd and even rougher, alcohol included fuels of today- causes premature wearing of the ip. The added oil lubricates the pump and she can live longer.

When you get to the point if rebuilding or replacing the pump, you can get them with hardened parts that help the issue. Doesn’t solve it, but helps. Still use the lube even after (or if) the hardened parts are installed. This is, unless you want to go for the “free” fuel side of things. Then you can end up with way better options, but after buying some stuff and getting set up.

If you would, please fill out the signature line with truck details to help with diagnostics and discussion about it. Including the ip numbers and any rig modifications helps.

No on the mpg help. There is stuff you can do For that, but usually it is cheaper operation use not actually mpg improvement that people want. And you, my new friend, have a nice advantage in that aspect over most the GM crowd. You have a db pump not a ds pump. If that is the quest, speak up.

As for the 2 stroke- Jayrd hit the nail on the head. Older diesel fuel had sulfur, lots of sulfur, which without it in our ulsd and even rougher, alcohol included fuels of today- causes premature wearing of the ip. The added oil lubricates the pump and she can live longer.

When you get to the point if rebuilding or replacing the pump, you can get them with hardened parts that help the issue. Doesn’t solve it, but helps. Still use the lube even after (or if) the hardened parts are installed. This is, unless you want to go for the “free” fuel side of things. Then you can end up with way better options, but after buying some stuff and getting set up.

If you would, please fill out the signature line with truck details to help with diagnostics and discussion about it. Including the ip numbers and any rig modifications helps.
He has an HEUI, not DB4. Thread title says 99 which is powerstroke, not idi. 2 stroke oil helps with lubricity, and a bit with engine noise, but thats about it. With an HEUI the biggest concerns for you are stiction and not changing your oil often enough. There is an additive called stiction eliminator that you should be running. Also on the HEUI engine's oil changes are CRITICAL! The injectors are popped by high pressure oil that acts as a press to inject the fuel in. Oil pressures in that system run upwards of 2200 IIRC for the injection system. This does a real number on the oil in them.

Definitely not looking to go up against the Ferm's prowess, although I think that generation of HEUI gets to a final pressure into the low 20K psi's inside the injector. So, I am betting that a '0' simply got dropped :)

As always, if I am getting this wrong, the correction is soon to come :D

And, Yes, the 7.3 PS crowd tends to avoid extending the oil change interval due to comments about shear from the injectors.

Back to the original question, the 7.3 PS pre-dates ULSD, so it will benefit from lube in the fuel to compensate for the loss of sulfur.

Sulfur isn't a lube, it's the process of removing it that hurts the lube quality of diesel. How about running a product specific to the concerns of your engine rather than something designed and intended for 2 stroke gasoline? Maybe 2 stroke oil won't work and how would you know? I for one get more smoke and harder starting on my 6.2 using 2 stroke nevermind an even harder time passing emmisions. Want to know how many ip's and injectors 2 stroke hasn't done F All for on my truck?

Definitely not looking to go up against the Ferm's prowess, although I think that generation of HEUI gets to a final pressure into the low 20K psi's inside the injector. So, I am betting that a '0' simply got dropped :)

As always, if I am getting this wrong, the correction is soon to come :D

And, Yes, the 7.3 PS crowd tends to avoid extending the oil change interval due to comments about shear from the injectors.

Back to the original question, the 7.3 PS pre-dates ULSD, so it will benefit from lube in the fuel to compensate for the loss of sulfur.
The fuel being injected is coming out in the 20K range for pressure, but I was talking about oil pressure for a 7.3l heui which is around 1800-2200 psi.

As always, I realize that Ferm forgets more than I will ever know :D

Toward stiction, it was not a term that I saw kicked around in the 7.3 crowd and had to read up on it. Found something PS specific from AMSOIL:

https://blog.amsoil.com/stiction-what-is-it/

Seems that the effect starts with the 6.0 PS due to basically taking the 7.3 HEUI injector and cramming more pressure through it without appropriately re-engineering the injector. Given that, am not convinced that a stiction additive is necessary for the 7.3 PS as opposed to just making sure the oil is good.

Will admit that I stopped following the 7.3 forums about a year ago as I got tired of all the 'Hey-I'm-Noob-and-Too-Lazy-To-Search-To-Learn-About-My-First-Diesel' posts and a general lack of respect within the groups, so perhaps this is something that recently came out as a discussion item that does apply to the 7.3 PS.

It is more of a 6.0l problem due to the increased pressures and rpm's they see. I know the guy down in Georgia that is regarded as MISTER powerstroke has said to run it in all heui engines, and that even the older systems need some love.

Sulfur isn't a lube, it's the process of removing it that hurts the lube quality of diesel. How about running a product specific to the concerns of your engine rather than something designed and intended for 2 stroke gasoline? Maybe 2 stroke oil won't work and how would you know? I for one get more smoke and harder starting on my 6.2 using 2 stroke nevermind an even harder time passing emmisions. Want to know how many ip's and injectors 2 stroke hasn't done F All for on my truck?

What is your lubricity additive, then? I used to use Schaeffer's Soy Shield, but have been running 2 stroke oil for the past several years - a quart to every tank. That's about 1 oz. per 2 gallons and is what I learned Bill Heath does on their trucks.

I'm open to suggestions. I switched from Soy Shield due to cost and availability only. Exhaust fumes smelled like McDonald's parking lot.

I have allus used ATF because of its very high detergent rating. Dont know how good its lubricating qualities are, but on old 'gummed' up engines it noticeably improves mileage and stops or limits smoke, , ,

Back