• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

these calculators could be wrong though, even the tire diameter showing 31.6, I think that is unloaded. I'm sure with the weight of the truck and tire pressure has I big play in those numbers.

I'm just going with rough estimates, my 1 ton has 4.10 rears and at 60 mph it is about 2150-2200 rpm, 4 other trucks with 3.73 rears are 1800 rpm at 60 mph. Could be a difference in vehicles. My 1 ton is the only one that had gps on it after I did a tire size change to get the speedo correct.

I'm just going with rough estimates, my 1 ton has 4.10 rears and at 60 mph it is about 2150-2200 rpm, 4 other trucks with 3.73 rears are 1800 rpm at 60 mph. Could be a difference in vehicles. My 1 ton is the only one that had gps on it after I did a tire size change to get the speedo correct.
I sure would like to see a bigger rpm drop. one thing I have never done is connect a scanner and watch it while driving to see if the tach is off. I have done the gps on my phone for the speedo. my truck did the same thing yours did. going to the 265's corrected the gauge!

db2 pump I presume! that will be my direction when the day comes that my IP give up the ghost! not sure what the cost will be going that route vs a reman ds4 but hearing that ds4's are on borrowed time now tells me it's gonna be better to go db2. still wondering if a chip can be reprogrammed in the PCM rather than having to replace the harness and get a tranny controller.

one other thing I have been seeing or reading on is the vacuum pump deletion will help mileage. I still like that the pcm can keep boost at a minimum while cruising (me thinking that helps mileage). I wonder if a simple small electric vacuum pump that can take the place of the engine one would help mileage. the only thing that uses it is the turbo actuator.

I have yet to take the truck on an extended highway drive with the new transmission, but it should be better than before. Old rebuilt transmission had something off in 5th, as RPMs were way too high for overdrive. Was ~2800 going 70, now closer to 24/2500 or so

I'm lucky to get 12-13 mpg driving locally. Granted nothing is flat around here so always climbing hills, and I'm sure the 18:1 compression doesn't help mileage. Plus the high rise truck cap on 8' bed full of construction tools weighs me down and creates a lot of drag. Previous owner had some performance tune put in as well, so I know fueling is turned way up past stock.

My first 6.5 was a '99 reg cab long box, 5 speed with 3.73. Could go nearly 500 miles highway driving on a tank.

The tires on My truck are the 285/75R 16s.
To keep the front tires from scraping the inner fender corners I had to jack it up a little.
Just on the stock torsion keys.
I then went with 4” over Rancho shocks as the alignment shop said that the shocks was topped out.
I am sure the door sticker on My truck said that the 245s was the stock size. I believe that is a too small of a tire so I most likely will go with the 265s when it becomes tire time.
I hope that dont screw with the fuel mileage, right now at a solid 18 at 70.

New set? I may be interested, their for the 10.5 14 bolt yes ?
I will have to look further into it and see if there are any numbers on the box. I might have to open the box and see what's in it. It was supposed to be a complete set for the 94 K3500. I ran out of time, never got the front set and the box is still sitting there.

dbrannon has first dibs as he messaged me.

I am willing to ship to either of you, let you check it our for the price of shipping and if it works for you, go from there. The box is in the way in the shed.

Any ideas on best shipping method?

Last edited:
Well, got the chalk test done! at least I think I did good and lucked out too. as I had increased the pressure to 65 the other day, I just coated some chalk on all 4 tires and drove back n fourth. first test it looked all even so I did it again. yep it was all even except for one rear seemed to have a very slight more chalk on the outside edge but the inside edge was even as the middle. I accounted that for my uneven driveway. I think I will leave the 65 psi and drive for a few weeks and see if mileage improves any from having only 50 before!

Wow I just went out and filled up the tank and got 14.6 mpg Only thing is can think of that’s different on this fillup is I replaced the air filter with one of those spectre washable ones like the k and n ones. Time will tell if the air pressure will make it better or worse

Well folks. Just an update on mileage. Just filled up this evening at Wally World and got 14.6 mpg Along with the only two things is did (spectre air filter and synthetic 5-40 oil). This tanI didn’t add any additives. Only because I didn’t have it on my truck when I filled up.

3D20E696-86AF-43CF-972B-D8E5188DDF03.png

Back