• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AC Compressor?

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Having an issue with inadequate cooling at any lengthy idling time. The compressor clutch cycling seems normal but I'm not getting cool air after a couple of minutes. Seems to work fine at speed. I hooked up a low pressure gauge today and found it reading around 75 psi when the clutch was engaged. I believe it should be about 55 psi.
Ideas?

need to have both high and low pressure to know exactly whats going on and what the outside temperature is at the time of pressure reading. ideally the engine should be running at 2k rpm. you may have a blockage in the system.

Fan clutch or plugged cooling stack would be my guess. Still on the road, sitting in Warner Robbins Ga at a wal mart campground.

Well I've never cleaned the stack since new and the truck does run hotter than it ever did so I suppose that could be it. The fan clutch seems to be like normal. Thanks for the replies.

I made a blower tube for blowing out the leaves and dirt, took and air fitting and soldered a 20" straight metal brake line crimped the far end and drilled some very small holes down near end all facing the same direction , its small enough to slide between the different components in the cooling stack so you can blow everything from behind and out towards the front 'works great.'

I made a blower tube for blowing out the leaves and dirt, took and air fitting and soldered a 20" straight metal brake line crimped the far end and drilled some very small holes down near end all facing the same direction , its small enough to slide between the different components in the cooling stack so you can blow everything from behind and out towards the front 'works great.'

Pics? Just wondering how many holes, what size.

After 300k plus miles I figure my only chance is pull the radiator. That's why I seldom procrastinate. Well, except this time...

Mike, after 300k I'd replace the fan clutch if you're going to dig into the stack. I did ours this spring when I had to do the PS pump, figured I'd replace the belt and clutch while I was in there. Just needs a fan clutch service kit, you can usually rent 'em.

The clutch and belt are both at around 150k so I suppose that's worth thinking about

Use either the hayden 2886 or an ac delco factory one for the fan clutch. My 70k mile hayden gave out on my trip(quit working at idle, ac got hot sitting still, and hit 235 on a small grade without coming on), replaced it with a new one in Alabama, less than 1000 miles later and that one quit working at idle and let me hit 240 before begginning to come on. No more hayden for me. Everybody has had good luck with the 2886 since it's for a medium duty, but I'm sticking with ac delco from now on.

Pics? Just wondering how many holes, what size.
The hole on this one is 1/16th, I bent the tube just after the air fitting so I know which way the air is being directed. Used this method many times even after bring in some sand storms out in AZ it blows out all the sand, bugs and other things that clog the fins.... DSCI0025 (1).JPG DSCI0028.JPG

Use either the hayden 2886 or an ac delco factory one for the fan clutch. My 70k mile hayden gave out on my trip(quit working at idle, ac got hot sitting still, and hit 235 on a small grade without coming on), replaced it with a new one in Alabama, less than 1000 miles later and that one quit working at idle and let me hit 240 before begginning to come on. No more hayden for me. Everybody has had good luck with the 2886 since it's for a medium duty, but I'm sticking with ac delco from now on.
I got an AC Delco from Amazon for ours. Glad I did.

Also, Mike, I bought these a couple years ago at a local farm and fleet store: https://www.radiatorgenie.com/

One has a garden hose hook up to blow water, the other has an air chuck to go on the air hose. They work great for cleaning out our hay equipment too. At least the air one...

radiator-genie-product.jpg

Back