• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AC compressor change

I researched this a few years ago.
If you go with Sanden, get the SD7 not SD5.
There is one that comes with GM hookup pad and proper pulley.
You need an R4 to Sanden bracket, I see some on Ebay for $70.

I have not pulled the trigger because apparently my R4 is still good.
I had to reduce the refrigerant pressure a little.
Clean the cooling stack (radiator/condenser) when I was replacing the oil cooler lines.
Clean the evaporator when I was replacing the blower fan.
Combine that with AD244 alternator, the AC seems to still give colder air in TX summer.

Something I want to do for my radiator, and both coils of the a/c system is do the Techline tltd thermal paint.

On aluminum it has 33% improvement. Not sure about copper exactly, but have read a few people that used it on aluminum and copper and estimate 25%.

Imagine radiator and a/c system having an immediate 25-33% increase in efficiency.

It's pricey and they only sell to businesses, but worth the hassle by everyone that has used it. I haven't seen 1 unhappy owner in the research I have done yet.

RA lists 3 compressors, 20.00 diff between em.
which is recommended:
VARIOUS MFR 7511351 Info
R4; 6 Groove; 12:00 Pin Coil; 4.33 IN Dia; Pag 150; 8011252 8oz

7511351-1__ra_t.jpg

$162.79

ACDELCO 1520189 {#01134343, 1134343, 88964862} GM Original Equipment; w/ Clutch; w/ Clutch Info
COMPL, W/O OIL, R134A OR R12

prevIMGbig.png

15-20189_Primary__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$164.99

FOUR SEASONS 58948 {#58942} w/ Clutch Info
Fitsw/ LTR4 Compressor; w/ R134a System
Orw/ LTR4 Compressor; w/ R12 System

prevIMGbig.png

58948__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$180.79
A/C Compressor & Component Kit
i plan to get the AC working before summers end. any help is appreciated.
sorry for the hijack OP.

If you want to go back to r12, then the acdelco is shipped dry so you can fill it with the correct oil(never use mineral oil in a system that has had pag in it unless you completely flush it out. And a compressor cannot be flushed, so you have to change the compressor to go back if pag was used. If ester was used, you can easily go back.).

If you're staying r-134a, then go down to compressor kits, and buy the gpd kit. You couldn't pay me to run a 4 seasons compressor, seen way to many fail right out the box to chance one. The gpd new kit is actually about the same cost as any of those 3 compressors, and comes with a seal kit, compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube.

I've had really good luck with them. A local A/C shop turned me onto them when my 3 year old sanden lost a shaft seal and commenced leaking 4lbs out every 2 weeks. They said they switched to them after sandens started failing on them left and right. I've put in 5 or 6 now, and they're all still going.

Back