• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A quick spool valve alternative?

Yeah.... If they are going to do that, couldn't they at least get them level, even, etc. I can go for 2 turbos floating in the middle of the windshield, but not with 1 twisted and 1 of them 2" higher and 1 1/2" farther to the outside.

Yeah.... If they are going to do that, couldn't they at least get them level, even, etc. I can go for 2 turbos floating in the middle of the windshield, but not with 1 twisted and 1 of them 2" higher and 1 1/2" farther to the outside.
Cut them a little slack Will.....I'm sure they were just thrown off by their toilets and turbos spinning the wrong way.

Been playin with my 89' RCLB 12V 5spd since I posted last..
My 95' is currently sitting motorless on dry-rotted tires. Somebody randomly came along and offered me over $1k for the 6.5L, and I was hopin it would go to a good home, but the dumbass let a known turbo drain leak drain all but 1qt of oil & he spun the mains.
I also attempted to fit the ATT to the cummins, which worked great for a while. Honestly It really did have more power than with the stock H1C. But, I burnt the turbine out of the ATT with ~33psi boost & probably ~1600° egt with the Bosch VE maxxed out around 225mm3/s. I neeeeed more airrrr and a quicker spool. If I attempt to floor it >1700 it almost chokes, and this thing blows fire & brimstone all the way to 3200. It was making ~42psi @ stock timing, but since I advanced it as far as it will go w/o jumping a tooth on the gear, it's around 36. Recently popped the HG, it cross-hatched 5&6 wasn't burning coolant, 6 was on power-stroke while 5 was on the intake stroke and it was backfiring like a mfer, so loud I thought I had shattered a piston. A local dumbass mechanic told me I had "dropped 2 or more cylinders" and probably needed a resleeve pshhhh it may have took me forever to diagnose but the gasket was only $137 & I could still see the x's from the hone job they did at the factory. Oh, and I found out I have an industrial casting of the block. I reused the stock head bolts, stock thickness gasket, and didn't even need to have the head or deck milled. ANYWAYS IM SORRY IM RAMBLING, THE 12V HAS BEEN THE BEST ENGINE I HAVE EVER PUT A WRENCH TO. The rest of the truck is going to a shit show in a snow shovel though. Rusting cab. Paint. Front suspension rebuilt 3x. Transmission bearings seals & syncros replaced. 3 piece driveshaft that is NOT ALUMINUM. And not fun to change u-joints by urself.

Now that i've caught yall up, may I suggest a little tidbit I picked up from the cummins side of the planet?
3 Words:
Variable.
Geometry.
Turbocharger.

HOLSET HE351VE

CAN BE HAD ALL DAY FOR $300 NEEDING A $80 CARTRIDGE.
THE VGT PART CAN BE MADE TO WORK WITH A CHOKE-STYLE THROTTLE PULL CABLE AND "WASTEGATED" @ PREFERRED PSI WITH JB WELD.

Currently sitting on 3 6.5L's 1-DS4, a BRAND NEW PMD 6' harness on a FSD DRIVER branded heatsink, 2 DB2?'s, 3 F vin manifolds, a dual therm. housing, more than one stock turbo, a turbomaster, a full wiring harness for a 95', a Heath Tuned chip tuned maxxed out for a hx40, a 95' 4l80e that's got hi-perf red clutches, and a valve body/shift kit, and an entire maroon colored interior with captain chairs and power everything. ECSB. Just sitting on it let me know if yall need anything. Hmu on FB, D. DeVille, from Racistville, LA. Not really racist js. 22,000 ppl marched for absolutely no reason when I was a freshman in high school.

TLDR: HOLSET HE351VE. NO INTENTION OF THREAD JACKING.
Just a way cheaper, better option than all of this. The turbine will open from 8cm to like 26cm. The compressor is a 61mm I THINK. If not it's a 58. Peace 6.5er's

Most are getting away from vgt's because of extremely high exhaust back pressure. That's why they're available so cheap is people are getting away from them and going back with foxxed turbo's. I like vgt's myself for all around use, but there is no free lunch in all departments.

I'm still wondering how a Cummins with its twin scroll turbines & divided exhaust manifolds operate with a spool valve? I've been considering a spool valve and searched a little finding all the exhaust manifolds I looked at too be split 3 x 3 so if you block one off only 3 cylinders drive unblocked T-3/4 turbine inlet.

I suspect the exhaust manifold needs to be machined too eliminate some of the divided section near the turbine inlet.

I don't know, I've been kind of inspired lately by the way the Aussies utilized space for their Drag Week '69 Chevelle...View attachment 48576

They should touch up the intakes:

EngineSpinner-anim.gif

Most are getting away from vgt's because of extremely high exhaust back pressure. That's why they're available so cheap is people are getting away from them and going back with foxxed turbo's. I like vgt's myself for all around use, but there is no free lunch in all departments.

What are "foxxed" turbos?

Back