• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A new product for you! Custom A Team Turbo Blankets available now!

Veg_Out

Walking J Designs
Reaction score
Thank you so much for a great 2010. To usher in the holiday season right, diesel heads need a new goodie for under the hood. To that, I give you, the turbo blanket, custom fitted for the A Team turbo. Made in USA quality at a Chinese price! Made in Idaho in fact, custom fitted for the A Team. Looks great in your choice of color, silver, black and natural!

http://walkingjdesigns.myshopify.com/products/walking-j-made-in-usa-turbo-blanket-for-6-5l

Attachments

• IMG_5433.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
A natural combination, everyone with an ATT should have a thermal blanket. You can sell a kit that includes wrap and clips for the elbow too.

This will save me from getting this from another source. Glad you are filling a much needed offering.

Not sure a kit could cover this, but:

You should wrap the downpipe and manifolds as well depending on how far one has their engine apart. I have not had any luck wrapping the crossover pipe though as the wrap doesn't stay on. May need a different way to wrap it. My main goal was to keep under hood heat down on a long pull up a 10% grade... It was successful at keeping stuff from melting vs. without it.

The 4" exhaust I had on my totaled truck turned the paint on the inside cab floor brownish from extended high EGT's. Not to mention anything that got close to the exhaust melted. Glow plug wires, including the spare tire! So that tight area for the down pipe is worth an effort to wrap! My new heater hoses had the green outer hose cracking from radiated down pipe heat. The insulation GM gives you is not long enough to protect the entire hose.

Couple pics of wrapped manifolds. I wrapped these while they were off the engine and held in place by stainless steel tie wraps. I should have painted them with the special header wrap paint for longer life.

the patch.jpg
Driver's side, see the soot from a re-used warped and leaking manifold?
the patch 2.jpg

Now if I could just get this stuff on the piston crowns... :rof:

Blanket is here, installing it this weekend

WW I wrapped my crossover, I think it led to an early death of the manifold, I installed a new one, sprayed it down with 4 coats of hi temp engine paint, then wrapped it with header wrap, tightly then used .032 stainless aircraft lock-wire to secure it, then 3 coats sprayed the over-wrap with hi temp engine paint hoping to keep water out/corrosion, it only lasted 2 years, the replacement unwrapped header has been on 4 years now 2X longer that the wrapped one. And because it was wrapped I really didn't know I was having issues until the turbo started getting really laggy & lower boost on hard acceleration than what I was used to seeing

This will save me from getting this from another source. Glad you are filling a much needed offering.

Not sure a kit could cover this, but:

You should wrap the downpipe and manifolds as well depending on how far one has their engine apart. I have not had any luck wrapping the crossover pipe though as the wrap doesn't stay on. May need a different way to wrap it. My main goal was to keep under hood heat down on a long pull up a 10% grade... It was successful at keeping stuff from melting vs. without it.

The 4" exhaust I had on my totaled truck turned the paint on the inside cab floor brownish from extended high EGT's. Not to mention anything that got close to the exhaust melted. Glow plug wires, including the spare tire! So that tight area for the down pipe is worth an effort to wrap! My new heater hoses had the green outer hose cracking from radiated down pipe heat. The insulation GM gives you is not long enough to protect the entire hose.

Couple pics of wrapped manifolds. I wrapped these while they were off the engine and held in place by stainless steel tie wraps. I should have painted them with the special header wrap paint for longer life.

View attachment 23007
Driver's side, see the soot from a re-used warped and leaking manifold?
View attachment 23008

Now if I could just get this stuff on the piston crowns... :rof:

The salt up here gets right to the manifolds, even my new ones are flaking off rust pieces now!!! I wonder if wrapping them will hold the salt in more, or keep it out?

The salt up here gets right to the manifolds, even my new ones are flaking off rust pieces now!!! I wonder if wrapping them will hold the salt in more, or keep it out?

Good point, easily overcome by moveing South where there is no salt to contend with :),

Seriously though probably up that way the material should be that silver woven hi-temp cloth to seal out moisture, my conventionally wrapped crossover did not fare well even with multiple coats of hi-temp engine paint applied to try to seal out the moisture.

All that said the turbo is pretty high up in the engine bay, how much moisture from road salt that could cause issues would be a guess, but with generally easy access to the turbo possibly pretty easy to monitor it,

Possibly for up that way where the annual muck is; clean turbo to bright metal, and paint with hi-temp engine paint, check periodically and repaint as necessary

Pay Pal to Patrick and I'll bet he'll hook you up with one :) Dear Santa I've been good all year........All I want for Christmas........:)

Hopefully next summer. Geeze Tim, you left the north before the winter fun began!

Salt kills engine bays. What happens is the salty wetness gets caught up in your tires, and other cars tires, and almost mistifies. This mist will flow wherever air does.

After it all dries the vehicles are literally covered, every square inch, inside engine bay, outside, down your windows inside your doors... Nasty nasty stuff.

For those who havn't seen this first hand, words don't even explain.

Last edited:
Been there done that with the Winter thing Erie Pa last Winter, Chicago for 2 winters, Moosejaw-Regina-Calgary-Halifax-St John Canada, Austria, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Antarctic Circle nope enough winter in my lifetime to know what it is all about I'll stay in the South thank you very much

Been there done that with the Winter thing Erie Pa last Winter, Chicago for 2 winters, Moosejaw-Regina-Calgary-Halifax-St John Canada, Austria, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Antarctic Circle nope enough winter in my lifetime to know what it is all about I'll stay in the South thank you very much
:thumbsup:

Back