• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Not mich progress to show for today but everything underneath is done! So nice being topside once again. As I was inspecting the lower intake before I installed it, I noticed the witness lines from the old gaskets and how the ports weren't nearly the size of the gaskets. How did I miss that before??? It isn't as important as it would be the other way around (if the intake was matched and the head wasn't) but it still kinda bothered me since I had worked on all the other air flow stuff. So I got out the die grinder, burr and cartridge roll and took care of it. Only took me about half an hour so well worth it. Lower intake installation is where I'm stopping today, we have some evening plans and to be honest all the up and down from the creeper is enough for me today. I don't think I'll have it running tomorrow bit that is fine with me, at this point I'm comfortable taking time and doing it at a comfortable pace and doing it right without missing something. If I can get everything done tomorrow except for the last of the fuel system upgrades I think that would be a good day. We'll see.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wow, I go out of town for 4 days, just to come back, and find your nearly done! Very nice work Nate, and nice job on the gasket matching. I bet the whole rocker deal was a bit frustrating, but I'm glad HS made it right. :)

Matt

Wow, I go out of town for 4 days, just to come back, and find your nearly done! Very nice work Nate, and nice job on the gasket matching. I bet the whole rocker deal was a bit frustrating, but I'm glad HS made it right. :)

Matt
I wondered where you had been Matt! Yep done soon I hope.

Got it running yet? I told you to finish your homework young man.

I did my intake very similar to yours, but I used a carbide bit that had a cross hatch pattern. They tend to gum up with the aluminium. Did the bit you used do that? I learned a trick though that kept the gumming down, that was to spray bit with WD40 about every 30-60 seconds.

Got it running yet? I told you to finish your homework young man.

I did my intake very similar to yours, but I used a carbide bit that had a cross hatch pattern. They tend to gum up with the aluminium. Did the bit you used do that? I learned a trick though that kept the gumming down, that was to spray bit with WD40 about every 30-60 seconds.
The bit I used is designed for aluminum, a machinist at work gave it to me when I was working on another project. I haven't tried the wd40 trick, I'll have to keep that in mind!

Hmmmm...do I get half credit if I turn my homework in late????

Looking good but honestly, I'd have left the intake alone, you want the smaller ports feeding into the larger ports, no chance of air hitting a mismatch.

Looking good but honestly, I'd have left the intake alone, you want the smaller ports feeding into the larger ports, no chance of air hitting a mismatch.
Yeah I get that, that's why I had left them alone in the past I just didn't remember them being so much smaller than the gasket so I just couldn't help myself :rolleyes:. Are your heads being worked on still? I'm excited to see what a pair of professionally worked on heads looks like!

Regarding the port match, Mark 4 Big Block Chevies have standard oval and rectangular intake ports, the HP ports being much larger. Read up on a discussion recently where, just for the heck of it, a HP intake was dyno flogged with standard heads. The effect would be a serious mismatch, reversion and other silly stuff due to the larger manifold port size. The claimed result was that there were no problems and the performance exceeded expectations. Just sayin', not saying I'd do it.

Back