• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A little progress on the p400 big valve heads

Pretty good read. You'd think once the original cnc is done porting would be cheap. Doesn't seem to be though. Maybe not enough volume to help out though.

Pretty good read. You'd think once the original cnc is done porting would be cheap. Doesn't seem to be though. Maybe not enough volume to help out though.

I talked to them about it, they don't have a 5axis mill, said they could 3D mill the runners but programing would be big bucks..

And even if I could get the cost down half what I charge now no one would go for it, no one seems to think it's worth it, just throw a bigger mobetter turbo at it...

Yes, it does seem like a couple of tooling changes and programming mods but depends on the shop. How many heads to amortize the the program over and tooling cost. Small shop I used to see work done at only amortized (tooling and program) over "order-runs" not repeat business or other similar business. Have to see what market supports can't stick your neck out too far. I can see a contracted time release order with pay forward contract not stick your neck out unless you are fishing or can hold inventory. It is gravy after the program is proven but that is for the business not the consumer depending on market volume and competition!

I would think the OEM head manufacturer would offer some un-shrouding and angle work for performance heads for premium. But then again they would offer basic secondary work and performance market would want optimum work done. ???? vs production capabilities vs OEM demand vs production capability etc.

I use to work for a company that made multi-step multi feature tooling. You would think adding an insert to cut the shroud away some would be cheap same process. Pennies add up I guess. I am sure some of the big OEM's did some testing and at current market just doesn't support the extra time. TIME is the most expensive thing usually.

I'll add I love reading about this stuff and appreciate you sharing. Everyone goes through a forum, internet, and business maturity process. No need for smart ass or sharp replies its a free forum and opinions are like a$$holes. Read and or comment its your time. Sometimes I get a little offended then blow it off after a bit - still here to learn and share when I can.

Any reason for the ball endmill vs a chamfer endmill? I assume leaving less edges. Any calculations for the valve travel time - distance for the shroud?

On the intake. Is it the volume of the runner vs the intake stroke charge that is the problem? Only seen one custom intake for the 6.x.

One thing I have pondered is a water jacket runner intake. Just pondering/dreaming.

So adding Marine pistons should get you down to around 17ish to 1 compression ratio.

I hope your cutting down your piston faces doesn't affect their structural integrity of the piston. Would hate to be reading your thread in a couple of months on your tear down for cracked/holed pistons from a hard run.

Back