• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A little progress on the p400 big valve heads

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Spent some time on a CNC mill today, after installing big exhaust valves something had to be done to unshroud the valve because most all of the stock edge was gone and the valve sat in a closed hole... see the last pic..

This is my version of unshrouding, I think this will increase flow even more than the stock angle cut...

Now a little finish work on the ports, some coatings, different springs and these will be ready...

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG

If I ever have to buy a engine it will be a p400 and I'll have to send it your way for you to do your magic on it.

Is that the most that you have ever took off on one of these heads.

My only concern would be hot spots along the newly machined edges, and that "knife edge" between the valve seats. I understand that this is a P400 head casting, but with the propensity of 6.5 heads to want to crack between the two valve seats, is removing material there and creating a potential hot spot in the same location wise? Perhaps "knocking down" that residual edge between the seats and opening up that area?

I could see the knife edge not having the material to conduct heat away and the tip being a hot spot. But I don't know Would honing it down be better. Can you coat any of the head area?

These are straight off the cnc, all the edges will get hand worked and the knife edge will be addressed, we couldn't think of a good way to do it on the machine and I'm handy doing it by hand..

Yes the entire head will get a coating of some sort, the chamber will get a thermal barrier and that will help with heat control and deflect the flame path...

You do realize that unshrouding the valves and removing that material between the valves will lower your compression ratio a couple of tenths or so, don't you? Which is a good thing. Lower CR, the higher the boost can go to cram more air in!

You do realize that unshrouding the valves and removing that material between the valves will lower your compression ratio a couple of tenths or so, don't you? Which is a good thing. Lower CR, the higher the boost can go to cram more air in!

Yea I herd that somewhere, once I finish cc'ing everything the pistons will be next in the cnc for their turn.... this motor is being set up for 18.5:1....

Out of curiosity, what cost is the machine work and what cost is the coatings?

If someone wanted the same as shown a set can be machined for 350$ a set...

Coating will vary depending on what all a customer wants coated, a short list is below, if someone wants a full price list I can email it...

Light Truck/Automotive Diesel Pistons Chevy 6.x, P400,Ford 7.3, Dmax

TBC on Dome and CL on Skirt $50.00 each
Gold Coat on Dome and CL on Skirt two $62.50 each
TBC Dome Only $35.50 each
Gold Coat Dome Only $47.50 each
Gold Coat on Dome and CL on Skirt and TD on underside $80.00 each

Combustion Chambers TBC V8 Heads Includes valve face $375.00 approx. pair
Valve Stems CL Low Friction $12.00 each
6.x Diesel Rocker Shafts & Rockers CL Low Friction $175.00 set of 4
Bearings DFL Low Friction $12.75 pair

@sctrailrider I really, REALLY thought you were going to go full-on smartass in your answer and say something like, "Since it's my shop and labor and I get my materials at wholesale, the labor's free and materials not bad, so it's pretty cheap to do my heads and stuff. Oh, you mean how much for me to do work for you!"

This comment is made after reading your response about snarky and asshole posting over on the other thread.

Not exactly sure what reply ya was expecting that response to, but I am trying to not be as sharp as I use to be...

I know most don't have a clue what some of this work does or should cost, if I were to post how much cash I have in these heads it would be more than some have in there whole truck... but it's only money right, nothing is free, at least around here, and I don't mind paying foe what I want..

The kind of R&D I am attempting isn't cheap but I WANT WHAT I WANT so the data isn't out there for me to look at so I figure a way to get it.. I can say so far it's been worth it for me, I have found info that no one else has, at least not public anyway..

And I don't have a shop with all this stuff in it, I have several shops around town that I use for different projects, the coating & porting I do here, most of the machining is outside shop, the welding I do at work...

I do gun ceramic coatings. An oven big and heavy enough for heads is beyond me right now.
The machine work is beyond my bench mill and skill level too. Nice work.

SC , you're not the only one that has done this . I was willing to share my results about my ported heads but got turned off by your posts . Yea I know , put the big boys pants on . My info was posted , just got tired of the negatives from people saying it would not work . Fine , you go your way and I'll go mine . You still haven't said what you are going to do about an intake manifold . With my heads , the stock intake is down almost 40 cfm from what the heads flow . You think those ported heads are going to flow what the bench says with all that choke ? I know , just run more boost ! Good luck with your project . Flame on !!

@EWC , I don't remember all of that thread so I will find it and reread it, if I offended you I apologize, sometimes I don't taste my words before I spit them out.... I'm tiring to do better..

Did you do any unshrouding to your heads??

As for a intake I do have one on the build list, plan to fab one from scratch for this motor...

After watching the public opinion turn from "turbo master" on a GMx to alternative turbos, frankly, the flame wars appear to be par for the course for new things. Camshafts come to mind as well going from "you can't" to a better one on the market now... All you can do is post your results and above all keep one thing in mind: the 6.x owners who enjoy seeing new things on an antique "forgotten diesel" and those who are interested in trying it out.

I find the unshrouding project very interesting and enjoy reading about it. So @sctrailrider thank you for posting up about it.

After watching the public opinion turn from "turbo master" on a GMx to alternative turbos, frankly, the flame wars appear to be par for the course for new things. Camshafts come to mind as well going from "you can't" to a better one on the market now... All you can do is post your results and above all keep one thing in mind: the 6.x owners who enjoy seeing new things on an antique "forgotten diesel" and those who are interested in trying it out.

I find the unshrouding project very interesting and enjoy reading about it. So @sctrailrider thank you for posting up about it.
X2

Yea, I do understand the thinking towards this way of doing it... but it isn't just me, it's being done already, I have talked to a shop or 2 about it concerning a forced induction diesel and if what they say is correct I didn't waste my time & cash...

Are they correct, well all I can do is try and see what the flow machine has to say...

These folks offer it for instances....

http://www.performancedieselmachine.com/

Back