• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A little bit of fuel system R & R.

As a crane operator i am familiar with some diesel filtration like racor filter and thought about doing that but then it occurred to me that i already have water separation and fuel heating in the FFM. I have seen a lot of info about upgrading the LP and then supplying a filter for the LP but i haven't seen rany talk about the FFM being under engineered besides the fuel outlet to the IP being too small. Is there really a need to replace the FFM with this setup? I don't want to sound like a hater and i do want the best but i only want to replace what isn't sufficient. any thoughts on how much better it performs with this?

As a crane operator i am familiar with some diesel filtration like racor filter and thought about doing that but then it occurred to me that i already have water separation and fuel heating in the FFM. I have seen a lot of info about upgrading the LP and then supplying a filter for the LP but i haven't seen rany talk about the FFM being under engineered besides the fuel outlet to the IP being too small. Is there really a need to replace the FFM with this setup? I don't want to sound like a hater and i do want the best but i only want to replace what isn't sufficient. any thoughts on how much better it performs with this?

Google "feed the beast" (FTB.)
The FFM is great for the 6.5. With a stock motor it supplies all the fuel you need and filters should last 15000 miles.
You can do the FTB mod to it if you want.

No doubt there should be a filter before the LP but the need to get exotic and go heater and water separator pre LP?
Heater maybe depends if operating in really cold area often or running a belended "heavy fuel" Vo/WVO that may need thinning when cold, my Racor has the capability for pre-heat if I want to add the kit, water separation IMO is a yes, but that is a function of the filter element itself treated with a water repelling chemical, I like the racor style with the clear base that allows you to see crud & water in the bottom of the bowl but not a must have requirement.

I know that some folks have trouble with the O-rings on the FFM, I have 2 filters, 1 pre & 1 post LP, the Racor is pre LP, clear bowl & water sep... much easier to change the filters and get primed again..I got rid of the FFM..

Interesting, how does the computer like the ffm not being there doesn't it have the wires fire the water in fuel alarm?i don't really need a fuel heater being in California. Any opinions?

Factory filter rating is a 5 micron nominal, and plenty IMO for our low pressure fuel systems I run a 10 mic on my promary pre lift filter as those seem to be easisest for me to find at retailers off shelf inventories, 20-30 mic is generally accepted rating for a primary filter.

Woo Hoo! Finally got the little green truck all finished up yesterday, and the weather couldn't have been better for it. The new injection pump is in, timed and receiving an ample amount of fuel to boot! (just ask the guy in the white car that was behind me when I decided to mash the go pedal on the test drive :D)

The pump has been setup with my own version of the feed-the-beast mod. Big difference going from a 1/4" inlet to 3/8". Hard to believe my lawnmower and truck shared the same size fuel inlet :nonod:

IMG_20120424_103621.jpg

IMG_20120424_103703.jpg
what the IP inlet fitting size? i cant find it.. or the receipts that shows i bought one :(

Back