• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A/C Fan issues

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
This is on my 98 suburban. I have had problems with my A/C fan/blower for a couple years now. When the fan is turned to off it stays on low. Occasionally high will go off and not work but the other speeds will. Also when I hit a bump hard enough the fan will go off on all selections. When the a/c button is on the compressor is on even when the fan isn't blowing. I took the little module off of my 95's fan switch (since the motor is out of it and I know it works) and put it in the 98 and the fan wont work. Is there something else I need to look at?

The blower switch and pigtail probably need to be replaced. And the 95 control panel is wired differently than 96-00. You can pop the control head crossing the wiring.

Try putting the old switch back in. Sometimes it is the connector or connection.

The blower switch and pigtail probably need to be replaced. And the 95 control panel is wired differently than 96-00. You can pop the control head crossing the wiring.
The little black connector that I took off the back of the fan controller is the same part and has all the same pins. Is that the blower switch that you are referring to?

The blower switch is part of the ac control head. It sends the power to the fan for each fan speed, and has a pin that turns the control head on. There was a tsb about the blower switch causing this problem. And the wiring looks the same between 95 and 96-00, but 95 is a 1 year only.

The blower switch is part of the ac control head. It sends the power to the fan for each fan speed, and has a pin that turns the control head on. There was a tsb about the blower switch causing this problem. And the wiring looks the same between 95 and 96-00, but 95 is a 1 year only.
Does this mean I need to replace the complete control unit? Here is the link to it at rockauto.

No, you can replace the blower switch seperately of the whole control head. I just picked up 2 blower switches because my 99 Tahoe wouldn't shut the compressor off at all.

No, you can replace the blower switch seperately of the whole control head. I just picked up 2 blower switches because my 99 Tahoe wouldn't shut the compressor off at all.
Where is the blower switch located and what does it look like. I just tried to pull it up on rockauto and it brings up a lot of switches but not a blower switch.

That is the part I pulled out of the 95 and replaced in the suburban. I'll order a new one and see if it fixes the problem.

You may need the pigtail as well. It is pretty common for the pins to get loose in the plug.

I finally have more time to devote to this issue. I put in the new controller switch and nothing. I did everything short of replacing the pig tail and the actual fan motor itself. I was thinking of putting some dielectric grease on the male ends of the switch and seeing if that helps conductivity. Will that work?

@Rodd Take a look for this pigtail connector that burns up. Wire size is typical GM minimum and the connectors can't take the mechanical stress, corrosion, wear from temp cycles, and the constant max limit current. Dodge Trucks like my 2003 also have HVAC wire issues... I suggest you solder the wires with a mechanical crimp. Butt connectors will burn up in the future. Been there burned em up...

@Rodd Take a look for this pigtail connector that burns up. Wire size is typical GM minimum and the connectors can't take the mechanical stress, corrosion, wear from temp cycles, and the constant max limit current. Dodge Trucks like my 2003 also have HVAC wire issues... I suggest you solder the wires with a mechanical crimp. Butt connectors will burn up in the future. Been there burned em up...

None of them are burnt or even look discolored.

I just had to replace the pigtail connector on my 99, quit working alltogether. wasn't even all that crispy

Back