• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A.b.s. bleeding fail

Penetrating oil on the threads first and let it soak. If a glow plug seems "stuck" - that is it unscrews but won't come out of the hole - do NOT try to force it out or "yank" it out, you will break the glow plug in half and then be REALLY screwed with half of it still inside the prechamber/cylinder - it means that the glow plug has swollen due to overheating. There is a specially made tool designed to carefully ease the swollen plug out of the hole, I think several members on here own one and it's available to be lent out.

When installing the new plugs, a small dab of antisieze on the threads and don't over torque them.

Changing the glows is a fairly simple process about the same as doing spark plugs on a gasser. only difference is they have electric wires attached to each that can be brittle (same as plug wires that are older) remove the passenger inner fender for easy access to that side.

like everyone said, they can un-thread from the head but if it does not want to pull out, don't force it. I got lucky on mine the first go round and they came right out. use anti-seize on the threads going back in, and inspect the wires to them as you are doing them. also, remove and replace one at a time, or at least mark the old ones with the cylinder # as you pull them. this way if there is a clear visible issue (oil coated or other issues ) you will know which cylinder it came from, same as a person does when replacing spark plugs on a gasser.

Oh, and for your new ones, AC-DELCO 60G are recommended. for their ability to not get stuck on the next round of replacements. although they do need a slight bit more "on" time to get as hot as the factory glows. on a healthy engine, that shouldn't make any difference.

Thanks @Husker6.5 ...lol.
I was referring to him saying flaps. To me flaps is what my flag does in the wind. And I didn't realize I can do a compression test on the cylinders through the glow plug holes.. honestly I don't see the point in doing it. If one has bad compression there's not much I can do about it. It's not something I'd have the money or skills to fix. But it is good to know for future reference.
I didn't get to do the glow plugs because of the weather.. hopefully next weekend when it's warmer..

Right now I have a different problem to deal with.
Last night on the way home the truck started spitting and sputtering.. like it wasn't getting fuel.. was only 2 more miles to the house so I just kept feathering the pedal and letting her coast alot.. got it home and said I'll deal with it tomorrow.
I plugged it in early this morning and let the block heater get the oil warm.. I started the truck.. started hard due to the cold I figure.. left it idling for a while. When I came back outside the truck was not running. Got it started again put the hood up and she died in about 3-4 minutes. If I let us sit a little while it will start but won't stay running very long.
On a hunch I opened up the t valve for the water separator.. with the engine running nothing would come out of it.
I opened it the spin valve on the top of the fuel filter, with the engine turned off and turn the key on so the lift pump Would cycle.. fuel came out of the top of it as it usually does... I'm thinking something is froze up somewhere. Past the filter... I said on another thread that the fuel has a lot of water in it. So I'm thinking something is Frozen in there and I got to figure out how to get it to thaw. Zero degree weather is not helping..lol

@jrsavoie I'm probably going to dump the tank. And get new fuel. I have to use a piece of pex pipe to check my fuel level. Because I'm running off of a transfer tank into bed of the truck.. I don't have a regular fuel tank under it.. when I stuck the pipe in the tank just to see how much fuel was in it there is a sheet of ice across the bottom of the tank. I can actually move the pieces of it around with the pipe. I've never in my life seen that. I'm going to try and and get some pictures to post

So since I live in east bum **** from any parts house.. I decided to red neck engineer it.. I walked my ass up to the gas station and got 5 gallons of diesel... Pulled the fuel lines off of the reserve tank and let them drain out.. pull the fuel filter out. .. sprayed it off with starter fluid... Caught a buzz off the starter fluid 😏...( Not intentional)... Then soaked the filter in new fuel... And wipes between the fins of it really good.. used turkey baster to suck all the fuel out of the fuel filter housing..
At some point in time the block heater must have thawed out the water separator . Cuz I filled the fuel reservoir
with fresh fuel put the filter back in ,
Put both hoses to the tank into a 5 gallon can of fresh diesel, and cycled the lift pump a handful of times... Water and crap came out of the water separator hose.... Then I cranked it a whole lot and it finally started up... Now it's running like a dream off of the fuel can...
Judging by the fuel that I sucked out of the FFM, there is a s*** ton of water in it.. so I'm not sure if the truck was actually gelled up or if there was just so much water in the fuel that it couldn't start it.
Tomorrow I'll dump out the tank and clean it with some gasoline... I'm going to start getting my fuel elsewhere

Have you ever considered that the filler cap/neck for your bed tank is leaking?

If there was actually that much water in the underground tank/diesel where you bought your fuel from, there would have been a ton of complaints to that retailer as well as most likely a State Inspector out there, due to complaints to the Bureau of Weights and Measures (most likely) about the crap fuel that station was selling, checking the diesel in that station's tank.

@Husker6.5 . I agree but the cap is brand new. And I had made a coverto go over the whole thing because I didn't want ice and snow getting in the twist handle and freezing it up..
But I did have a couple other thoughts.. because your right it doesn't seem logical.
1) I considered that I'm not the most liked person in the world and wouldn't be hard for someone to dump a jug of water in it in a parking lot...
Also thought about the possibility that access panel where the pump is supposed to be may leak.. there's 2 different seals on it so I kinda figured the odds of it getting through both wouldn't be good.. but anything is possible. But that's A LOT of water it seems.. shouldn't I have started having some kinda signs of it before it just died? I know water settles to the bottom but I'd think it would get shaken up with the fuel when driving.. I don't know.. I'm going to re seal the tank Access panel. And get a locking cap.
Just a shame to throw out a hundred bucks worth of fuel...

Thank you @ak diesel driver . I was wondering about if there was a way to evaporate all the water out of it.the temps are supposed to be climbing all week. It was 5 degrees yesterday and going to be almost 50 this coming weekend. So I don't know about letting it freeze will work.. if I just put it in buckets and put them in my enclosed trailer will the water evaporate off of it.. I was thinking that it wouldn't because the water settles to the bottom. But could be wrong.. or just let it settle for a few days then siphon the fuel off from the top?

Back