• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A.b.s. bleeding fail

start with the HB. you can do the hoses if you want. but best to take one thing at a time as to diagnose the system and not fire the parts cannon too quick.

your rig is an HD series over 10k gvwr? I can help look around for one decently priced. I do know that a new one isn't going to be cheap. afaik A1 Cardone is the supplier to all auto parts houses and more for reman units. we all know that brand is like a game of craps.

looking online there doesn't seem to be any "New" HB units and the reman units are priced over $200 minus the $100 they want for the core.

I almost wonder if any of the guys here might have a parts truck with one they'd part with where we could just we seal it and install? that would surely be cheaper than a reman unit and doing so you would know for sure the HB was the issue at hand. there's really not much to the innards in them. - just a thought.

@Stoney are there any pick a part yards in your area? iirc most all of the HB's in this era of rigs are the same. the only difference are the brackets that mount them to the firewall. some have center mounts and some are offset, but those brackets are removable. the only thing to watch for are the rods that go to the pedal linkage. a few have different lengths.

I just did a quick search on the car part website and found several in NY for $50-$75. usually you can get a 30-90 day warranty from these salvage yards. the local wrench-a-part yard up here gives a 45 day warranty no questions asked.

getting one of these units and rebuilding it is probably a lot cheaper than getting a reman unit.

swing by your local chevy dealer with the vin number and ask the parts counter. I did the same with mine to verify I was getting the right stuff. this is how I realized that even though mine was a single rear wheel, it needed the wheel cylinders for a a dual rear wheel. they can give you a print out of the build sheet and get you the correct part numbers for any parts. some of those GM parts are no longer available from GM. but you can search online and at the auto parts using those numbers to verify you have the right stuff.

Yes it does. the HD version also has a larger reservoir it's noticeably different. same bolt pattern but has larger inside piston bore. I noticed yout vin number starts 1GCHC where mine is 1GCGC I would need to find a vin decoder but might be an indication of HD.

Look in your glove box for the RPO codes. there will be a bunch of codes on a sticker. look for these codes.

JB3 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 4600 LBS
JB5 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS
JB6 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 7200 LBS
JB7 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 8400 L85
JB8 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 10000 LBS
JC4 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC, DRUM 5600 LBS
JC5 : BRAKE, VAC POWER, 4-WHEEL DISC, 7200 LBS
JC7 : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DRUM, 12000 LBS
JCB : BRAKE, POWER, DISC/DISC, 20000 LBS
JD3 : BRAKE, HYD POWER, DISC/DRUM
JD5 : BRAKE, DUAL POWER, DISC/DRUM, 6400 LBS
JD6 : BRAKE, HYD POWER, DISC/DRUM, 7200 LBS
JD7 : BRAKE, HYD POWER, DISC/DRUM, 8400 LBS

iirc the code JC7 is for HD braking system on these rigs. I think mine is JB8 which is the normal front brakes with HD rear brakes. I would need to verify this info though.

Attachments

• GM RPO Codes.pdf
    370.2 KB · Views: 1
@Stoney I don't know what year it changed but the later model trucks didn't have a true power steering cooler with fins and all. My former '99 didn't have it, my '95 does. The "cooler" on the later model trucks is simply a longer metal line that runs into the front frame horn on the driver's side and back out. So you not seeing a true cooler is probably normal.

I don't know why the design was changed or whether it's worth changing to the older style

Didn't want you to go crazy thinking something else was hacked up on the rig or start chasing down phantom parts

Ok.. my front end isn't like the one in pic it has the other kind of headlights..and isn't that tall. So I'd assume mine is one of the ones that just got the extra options..
But since those options include brakes and suspension. We're probably still on the right track.. .

As much as I hate to say it I think I can poke a hole in our theory of HD... If I had the wrong parts on it.. then how come sometimes it runs like a champion and does not drag it all and no steering issues..?? I only thought it is because I'm driving home from work right now and the truck is running magnificent... But then again since literally everything has been done non HD it could be that everything works together since they're the right parts for each other just not for this truck.... This is just a working theory that's why I figured I'd throw it out there

@Stoney I honestly don't think you have full HD brakes. your's is probably like mine, only uses the wider rear shoes and larger bore wheel cylinders, other than that everything else is normal. single piston calipers in the front, standard MC and booster seems to be the same one across the board. I would fire the shotgun at the HB and maybe hoses and see what happens. change out that fuel line on the return hoses for some oil rated hose too. fresh ATF fluid and see what she does.

in an effort to save some $$ and verify your issue with the HB, I would shoot for a used unit and a seal kit. especially since the rebuilt units are over $200 and their quality can't be verified.

Back