• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 2 door Tahoe

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Picked up a new project/driver. The Burb needs quite a bit of work, so to keep a daily driver, I picked up a 99 2 door 2 wheel drive gas tahoe. I've wanted one of these for quite awhile now, its small/short enough and low enough the wife can hopefully drive it comfortably, and should make for a nice little project rig to play with. I havent taken any pics yet, but I have some from the cl ad. It needs a few repairs, mostly stuff thats common to a 350 vortec(intake gaskets, spider injectors, heater lines), the only real downside is the interior is dirty, seats are all cracked, and the dash is busted like all southern trucks.

For right now I plan on doing my 0411 swap 1st so I can put my marine intake on it(have a new take off setting in the shop, an updated spider injector is almost $300, so it makes sense to use what I already have), aluminum distributor, ac pressure sensor, and dual electric fans for right now. LMC has carpet kits reasoneably priced($280) as well as plastic stick on dash covers($180). Not planning on alot right now, just need to get it so I have something to drive so I can get the burb in, pulled down, and get to work on it.

The only thing I wasn't keen on. I really wanted a tailgate model, but after over a year of searching, I took what I could get.

Yeah, that was my first thought- hope so.

Really nice looking. Love the color.
I did chuckle at the burb needs work, so you bought another rig —that also needs enough work to call a project. Funny how guys like us think. Some folks would just buy a honda to burn up for 2 years and throw away while redoing the normal ride. What’s wrong woth them? Don’t they know what they’re missing?

I can't afford turn key ready, so a little work is ok. Not feeling much better, but I have to push through it so I can get caught up. And this one really isn't a project to get it driving, but I have future plans of an LQ9/4L80E swap down the road. I started to get a small car, but I still need to move trailers every now and then, so the 2 door seemed the best/smallest fit for what I wanted. I just can't believe what people are getting for 2 wheel drive 2 doors vs 4x4. But I'm tired of dealing with half shafts needing boots, pulling hub bearings for brakes, and the extra maintence for something I use once or twice a year. And with my back and hip, I think lower to the ground will be better in the long run. It is a bummer stepping down in power, but if I do an LQ9 swap, that should take care of that. Even my wife agreed we needed a 3rd vehicle with both of ours racking up miles and the inneviteable breakdowns bound to begin.

The barn doors on some years are easier to make swing all the way open. That is the key to them being better or worse. The tailgate keeps you away from being able to reach deep into the rig. But when the have to fiddle with the barn doors to get them out of the way now they become more of a pain.

The biggest thing I didn’t like about the tailgate style is the glass half when you have to load something a hair too large. So many times I was worried about shattering the glass.
@THEFERMANATOR can you show a pic of the swing stops on yours?
Iirc the little pin that just lifts out was gone by 99.

My barn doors have friction retainers for when opened however; to fully open them say for backing up to a loading dock you pull the friction retainers away so they don't catch the pin.
Thats the same setup both of mine have. I wanted a tailgate model in a 2 wheel drive for the rear wiper. Living where it rains often, it would be nice to be able to see out of the back easier. In a 4x4 I like my barn doors. With the 4x4 being taller, the barn doors make it easier to get stuff in and out, but for a 2x4 I figured I could stand to lose the easier access for a wiper, and no blind spot in the middle, but I got 2 barn door rigs now.

I actually started to pick up a 95 diesel model I found, but I'm tiref of dealing with torn cv boots, hub bearings, and the rest of it for something I use once or twice a year, but haven't actually needed in years. And with diesel costing $.60-$.80 more a gallon around here than gas(more than premium and even ethanol free), it just didn't make sense to buy a diesel. And I have future hopes of doing an LQ9/4L80E swap to this one.

Last edited:
And with diesel costing $.60-$.80 more a gallon around here than gas(more than premium and even ethanol free), it just didn't make sense to buy a diesel.

DIESEL runs the rest of the world however; the move to more expensive electric vehicles is massive as the industry claims it will have less an impact on the environment. It appears no one wants to address the actual high cost of producing the energy for recharging and the limited range of such vehicles that would be just as bad or perhaps worse for the environment. "Grid down your SOL!

A better approach is nuclear ⚛ a small sealed reactor is the better choice until such time as a fusion reactor is invented. Then we have to contend with all the enemies the super predator class of elitists creates that would use such devices for evil deeds.

Lest we all forget it is the super predator class of elitists who control the price of everything.

LMC has carpet kits reasoneably priced. . .

LMC is Ok, but the challenge is whether the part is quality or not.

I got a set of carpets from stockinteriors for the Burb and was very happy.

. . . I have future plans of an LQ9/4L80E swap down the road.

If you can manage a swing over to a 6 speed, it will definitely wake up the smaller motor :)

I wanted a tailgate model in a 2 wheel drive for the rear wiper. Living where it rains often, it would be nice to be able to see out of the back easier.

Rain-X helps a lot. When the rain starts to 'sheet' on the window, just wipe it down with a wet cloth.

LMC is Ok, but the challenge is whether the part is quality or not.

I got a set of carpets from stockinteriors for the Burb and was very happy.

If you can manage a swing over to a 6 speed, it will definitely wake up the smaller motor :)

Rain-X helps a lot. When the rain starts to 'sheet' on the window, just wipe it down with a wet cloth.
The lq9 is a 6.0l, with a 4l80e they're geared pretty good. I can find l76/6l80 pullouts from caprices for decent money, but I'd rather stick with the proven lq4/lq9
platform backed by the tough as nails 4l80e. The 6 speeds are geared nicely, but to run one you either have to run a gen iv engine/ecm combo, or pay almost a grand for the pics data translator box. I was really wanting to build a 383 gen 1 VORTEC, but it just doesn't make sense to when I can buy a lq9 pullout for what a rotating assembly kit for a 383 will run me.

This is all way down the road. Right now it's getting an 0411 pcm swap for tuning purposes, ad244 alternator, dual electric fans, and marine intake. After that I want to do a 9.5" 14 bolt swap in the rear, disc brakes from a gmt800 with dual pistons, then do the gmt800 front brake swap(it's a lot more work for a 2x4 than a 4x4), and wrap it up with a rack and pinion steering. I'm more interested in stopping and handling than getting myself in trouble going fast.

Back