• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 Chevy K2500

Kawika75

Reaction score
I would like to introduce myself. I’m from Hawaii, born and raised. I live in Anchorage Alaska. My truck is a 97 K2500 with the 7.4. She’s got a lot of miles on her but she is still running strong. I’m pretty found of this generation of Chevy Trucks and I plan on keeping this one for awhile.18633773-42B8-4E11-A1A8-1B3F9934B3BB.jpeg6B6C8096-15D1-4672-BE47-1B72E1BE5200.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the welcome. this morning it was icy and I went to take off and my 4x4 light was blinking at me saying service me. I checked the actuator on the front diff, it works. so I moved on to the transfer case. I was thinking ground issue with the T case actuator, can't locate the ground. I ordered a manual for this truck, still waiting. im wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I've that the sensor in these actuators tend to go out and I should replace the sensor. need help figuring out how to test this actuator. Aloha.

ALOHA @ Kawika75. Welcome to TTS...glad to have you aboard!! Move fro Hawaii to Alaska!???? I would have done that backwards!!! Lol others will chime in soon to welcome you and offer advice..

Welcome. Wish I could help but can’t remember.
the cold really messes with those selectors-swapping to cable actuated was a common modification, especially the front axle.
Eventually I’ll be swapping out the entire front end for a Dana 60 high pinion axel but for this winter it’s just not going to happen until summer so I’ll have to get through this winter with what I got.

not working on the truck today, too many plans for the day. Anyway my next move is to drop the front driveshaft so I can get to the top plug on the transfer case actuator, at least I think its an actuator just a guess really, not sure how it works, never worked on one before. I tried to test the bottom plug in on that actuator or whatever that thing is( still waiting on my manual should be here Monday). I got nothing no voltage nothing! tried playing with the switch back and forth between 2wd and 4wd still nothing? maybe its not the power supply? maybe it just transfer information from the sensor? I was thinking maybe the ground is bad and thats why im not seeing any voltage in that plug. there's another plug at the top of the acuator, maybe thats the power supply? still trying to find a ground for all this? until Monday I guess..

Yup The front axle actuator is the first thing I went after, I also flushed and changed the the gear oil on the front dif, it needed it. I didn’t see any leaks on the seals for the front dif assembly. I checked to see if my front driveshaft was engaging and it is so I moved on to the transfer case. I see a different type of actuator on the top of transfer case. Checked all my fuses and replaced all the old fuses they looked pretty old and why not I’m keeping the truck so why not swap out old fuses. Can’t find any bad fuses. OBD 2 shows no codes either. I’ll be checking the plug on the transfer case actuator tomorrow or Monday. I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the response fellas 🤙🏽

ALOHA @ Kawika75. Welcome to TTS...glad to have you aboard!! Move fro Hawaii to Alaska!???? I would have done that backwards!!! Lol others will chime in soon to welcome you and offer advice..
Actually growing up there was incredible but I couldn’t wait to leave the rock as a teenager and joined the army as soon as I graduated. I’ve been in Alaska since 96. I really love it up here!! I love the wide open country and the freedom. I will always love Hawaii but I’ve made roots here in Alaska. I’ve become a high mark addict on a sled lol we can’t do that in the islands lol not legally anyway.

Back