• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'96 5.7l/350 Upgrading from CS130 to CS144 alternator

The resistor is already in the cluster, I can go take a picture of one of theones in my shop. You just have to have at least 35 ohms or so on the circuit to avoid overheating the regulator. If you had gotten the ad-244, you'd be done by now as it's a drop in direct plug and play swap that is superior to the older cs-144.

;) Actually I'd be done by now IF I didn't have to work 7 days a week :hungover:
Sevren days a week, I could barely do five and I am in pretty good shape too. LOL
I once called My supervisor, told Him I was having vision problems, I just could not see coming in to work that day. LOL
He let Me take annual leave time and I went for a nice ride on My Harley. LOL

I even worked a shift here with a kidney stone attach, a few years ago. I don't think my Disrtct boss understands that kind of dedication.

My best to Big Sky Country (I was raised in Missoula)

Well, I received the 5 pack of resistors and got that resistor soldered into the pigtail so it's all set to go. After fixing my fence this half saturday I may go ahead on the installation of the CS144.

From another forum I was informed that since I have that "Battery" Light and a Voltmeter there's already enough resistance in the line;

"Don't fricken do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your asking for much bigger electrical problems changing resistance values in a lower voltage electrical circuit. Especially running a voltage of 1.5 to 1.7 volts".

So I will be removing that resistor before install.

From another forum I was informed that since I have that "Battery" Light and a Voltmeter there's already enough resistance in the line;

"Don't fricken do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your asking for much bigger electrical problems changing resistance values in a lower voltage electrical circuit. Especially running a voltage of 1.5 to 1.7 volts".

So I will be removing that resistor before install.
Like I said several posts back, the resistor is already in your cluster. Won't hurt anything other than make your battery light dimmer, but it isn't needed.

I slipped by NAPA after work last night and crossed the Dayco pn. I saw on another site's thread http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/cs-144/cs-144.html for the serpentine belt to a Gates (060966) that they stock. I gave them the rundown on the motor and equipment and they're confident I got the right belt for the CS144 but I'll see once I get down to the installation, but them what with my wrong assumptions earlier in this thread I'm doubtful as to the correct length.

Last edited:
There is 2 belts for the 93 K1500 with the 5.7, 350 engine.
The little bit longer belt looks okay until it comes under a load, then it will jump pulleys and ruin stuff.
That is My experiences with the two different lengths of belts.

Thanks for the tip MrMarty, remember me to Big Sky Country, I was raised in Missoula back in the '60's
That would have been a very good time to be in Missoula. I had been there in the mid sixties a couple of times and I liked it. Being have been there about five years aago, that place has really grown and sprawled out. I do not deal well with big city traffic, especially when I know not the town where I`m trying to navigate through, can You imagine sheer panic. LOL
A twon I would not mind resettling into would be Deer Lodge, small town and the traffic is light. Has not yet seen much of a population explosion, I suspect because it is the town of the Montana State Prison.

My family left Missoula back in '70, after I got out of the Marines in '85 I took a motorcyle trip up there on my big Sukuki and it turned out that ours was the only family that moved out the the culdesac, Colonial Lane. The kids were gone but the folks were still there, I looked up a grade school friend from the directions her Mom gave me and she and her husband were just headed out the door for shopping but as they said "there's beer in the fridge and we'll be back in a couple of hours" Nothing like being welcomed back with such trust.

I'm thinking that the bottom mounting of this alternator would be sufficient for stablility, but then what do I know? I am an idiot, apparently. :D
Nonetheless I've got the local wrecking yard looking for a rear bracket for this CS144

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats pretty cool about the trip back.
Weird, I`m the only person left in My old neighborhood. I bought the house that My Dad and Mom raised us six childrens in. LOL
every once in a while, someone will stop in and ask where did so and so move to I used to run with their kids when I was in school. LOL

I guess not all of us can "go home" :(

I haven't had time to install that new alternator but the old one had been behaving until last night. The gauge needle returned to less than vertical and at idle the "Check Gauiges" light started to flicker on. All connections are clean and tight, which was the first thing I addressed with this issue, with rain coming to the northwest this weekend I may have time to proceed after my half day off.

Yeah, I know about not having a home to go to, until Mom let Me buy this propity from Her.
If the battery gets real low, I believe the check gauges lamp will illuminate.

That seems right, the last time this happened the battery was nearly to the plates low on water so I added some muddy water to it...
just kidding, I may be an idiot but not totally, I added some distilled water to bring the levels up slightly and she's been okay until yesterday. This weekend it's supposed to rain so the honey do's will have to wait so I may have time to finally install that 144.

Old school trick for a serviceable battery when you know you are replacing it in a couple weeks is to drop an asprin into each cell. It's been too long since chemistry class, but it reacts with the lead and cleans off a little of the build up. It flatens the ph a little though, so thats why you dont do it until last legs.

Back