• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 1500 dies without warning

Ahh rust. I keep reading about it. Heard it's not just a myth... out here we have to do "faux painting" to get that look. But really- what rusts? Heat sink is aluminum, and if the newer pmd casings are steel, hit it with a rattle can. Use stainless bolts? Of course I am guessing- you all are the pros in dealing with rust.

How is the truck doing now? Any progress since the above post?

I believe it is easier and safer to have 2 pmds mounted next to each other. 1 oversized or 2 normal heat sinks based on preference. The one you currently use will have the extension cable plugged into it. The spare pmd electrical connections will get dirty,mud filled, etc. if left exposed. Buy a second connector piece for 5 or 10 dollars, and fill the backside with silicone- NOT the pin side. Let it cure on the bench a day, then plug it into the spare pmd.

When you need to swap pmd, all you do is take out the dummy plug and move the cable over to the spare pmd ready to go. Almost all of us have had a pmd go out, and it is never when you want it. In a hurry while raining was fun, that was the last time for no mounted spare for me. Next was during vacation on the freeway-it was a blast! Actually had the wife ask me on that one "Did you do anything or did it just fix itself?" because I hopped out, moved the wires over and we were on our way in 10 seconds.

Btw, I spoke to Leroy- He will sell the extra connector piece individual. Have a friend with a 96 hummer that I am helping fix currently. {@Burning oil - He is ordering ffm rebuild parts currently from you- spare pmd and such soon to follow. Apparently diesel should stay inside the ffm instead of all over the outside? haha.}

I believe it is easier and safer to have 2 pmds mounted next to each other. 1 oversized or 2 normal heat sinks based on preference. The one you currently use will have the extension cable plugged into it. The spare pmd electrical connections will get dirty,mud filled, etc. if left exposed. Buy a second connector piece for 5 or 10 dollars, and fill the backside with silicone- NOT the pin side. Let it cure on the bench a day, then plug it into the spare pmd.

When you need to swap pmd, all you do is take out the dummy plug and move the cable over to the spare pmd ready to go. Almost all of us have had a pmd go out, and it is never when you want it. In a hurry while raining was fun, that was the last time for no mounted spare for me. Next was during vacation on the freeway-it was a blast! Actually had the wife ask me on that one "Did you do anything or did it just fix itself?" because I hopped out, moved the wires over and we were on our way in 10 seconds.

Btw, I spoke to Leroy- He will sell the extra connector piece individual. Have a friend with a 96 hummer that I am helping fix currently. {@Burning oil - He is ordering ffm rebuild parts currently from you- spare pmd and such soon to follow. Apparently diesel should stay inside the ffm instead of all over the outside? haha.}

I have 2 PMD's mounted on all of my vehicles. I have rubber caps pushed over them for now. I'll have to get a hold of Leroy and get some new plugs. I was going to do that quite sometime back and got distracted. Squirrel!

I was actually thinking about getting extra extension harnesses, so I didn't have to get on the ground to do the swap.

I have my PMD plugs aimed at the nostrils and just inside to make the connectors easy to get to.

I just used stainless or aluminum pieces added to the heat sink, to get them in the positions desired

Back