• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 1500 dies without warning

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
Has happened 3 times since ive owned the truck will be driving and engine will just shut down no fish biting no stuttering just like i shut the key off. Get truck to a stop and crank over a few times and it will restart. The first 2 times the tank was a little below 1/4 thought it could be pickup tube, but today it had a full tank. I have spare pmds but this one is the gray one with a different connector so i cant check to see if thats the problem. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What come to my mind from my experience

#1 PMD
#2 Grounds (computer ground at the back right of the engine block would be the first one I would check)

PMD On an extension cable? I had one that was not crimped and would do that of and on.

There's a thread on here somewhere that tells you how to modify the plugs to make them work with what you have

Haha! Yes on both accounts.

Both pmds need to be on the bumper. Just order Leroys remote kit and monut it on the bumper, then move the other heatsink/ pmd next to it. Use an old connector and fill the back with silicone. Idk if Leroy sells those. @Burning oil If he doesn't, there is a non vendor that I know who does. Bluehummer com <mods, delete if thats not ok (not as hotlink).

The db2 convert is a tad more annoying- suppose I can admit that. but worth it if smog legal in your area imo. We cant do it here anymore- thats why my last 6.5 pickups got sold.

I got an adapter harness when I ordered My Stanadyne PMD. I had bought a Dorman PMD and it was acting up so I took it back, lifetime warrantee on that, I carry the new Dorman in the jockeybox for the just in case. Unplug the adapter harness and hook the harness to the old style PMD after mounting it and on the road again, at least in theory that is how it is suppose to work.

Make sure to test the new Dorman that you stash in the jockeybox before stashing it!!!

Remember, new Dorman does not mean that it works.
YUP, I done did that already. When the turbo boost was acting up, I installed the Dorman unit then took it for a drive. the Dorman module didnt change anything on the boost sensing but, it did work for twenty miles. LOL
After I got back, I put the Stanadyne back on the heat sink.
I do think that I will get another heat sink and mount the dorman to that, just for the just in case, it might be thrutee below and snowing if the Stanadyne decides to fail. LOL

I used to have 2 mounted but they started to get rusted.

So I just mounted one at a time and the other is still in my toolbox inside.
It only takes 4 bolt to replace, no more than 5 minutes in my case on the road.

I did test my spare for more than 1 month, though for several hundred miles through the season change.
Season change is brutal to the PMD.

Back