• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 C6500 thoughts

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
Looking into building a 6.5l powered crew cab c6500, yes I know it might be underpowered.

The truck I found is a 95 single cab CAT powered truck with a hollow piston and a 6 speed manual. Had a 14ft box.

I know the Kodiak had a different interior but would it be practical to drop a regular crew cab on it w/ AC and engine w/ AC?

Will the 6 speed bolt to the 6.5?

Next idea is my 6 speed Allison behind a P400, get a whole crew cab parts truck.

Ideas?

I've looked into IH 4700 crew cabs but those are hard to come by in good shape and affordable. Figured why not build one I like.

I'd find another CAT to drop in it. Sure the CAT's in them were disposable, but, not as disposable AND underpowered as the 6.5. That truck would work the 6.5 harder than I do. I know you work yours and that's the thing - it's not a fun "rat rod" because you will want it to work.

Fir a DD show truck with money to burn being passed by a PT cruiser and a bicycle... Still don't recommend the nightmare.

It depends on how built you want to make it. If your thinking a stock one, then I agree with the Arizonia truck killer:D:D

But if your willing to go optimizer or p400 with a big turbo and built ip, I'd think your good. A really wish I had tried that (roof mounted) vvt on mine just to see...maybe you could, you'll have the room. Then if not, resale the used vvt and ATT or hx40 it. Maybe hx35 depending on gearing.

Your talking 3116 cat right? 3126?

The bellhousing I'm sure is just an SAE pattern(I believe the #2 was more common), so it can be done. A MD DURAMAX swap would be FAR easier though. The medium duty DURAMAX from a 4500/5500 is already set up for an sae pattern, and uses the more common front mounts like MD stuff did.

The bellhousing I'm sure is just an SAE pattern(I believe the #2 was more common), so it can be done. A MD DURAMAX swap would be FAR easier though. The medium duty DURAMAX from a 4500/5500 is already set up for an sae pattern, and uses the more common front mounts like MD stuff did.

Dmax means more money! Lol

It depends on how built you want to make it. If your thinking a stock one, then I agree with the Arizonia truck killer:D:D

But if your willing to go optimizer or p400 with a big turbo and built ip, I'd think your good. A really wish I had tried that (roof mounted) vvt on mine just to see...maybe you could, you'll have the room. Then if not, resale the used vvt and ATT or hx40 it. Maybe hx35 depending on gearing.

Your talking 3116 cat right? 3126?

I think it was a 3126 but not 100% sure.

I'm thinking set it up with my 6.2 hybrid (still in pieces) but eventually move to a p400 to fit the MD chassis. A team (optional spool valve) or he351 or similar vvt. Low gears and let the 6.5 scream as intended while towing.

Not a bad plan considering the CAT injection system costs...

I would keep a muffler on it as the exhaust drone otherwise can result in fatigue on long trips towing.

Why not get one of the Union Pacific Railroad Crew Cab HD trucks with a 6.5 already in it? Going rate is 4-6K all day long.

Mentioned here and I drove it. Funny the oil sample came back ugly. Pretty sure I drove it after the sample was taken... :facepalm:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/th...w-4l80e-for-hauling-a-gn-2-car-trailer.44846/

You don't see those big crew cabs often, I've considered it though. If I could get one running and driving I'd likely give it a try. The big Kodiak has always been high on my list of rigs to own and modify.

I'd highly recommend the Duramax. Our C4500 is underpowered enough with a 300/520 Duramax, I couldn't imagine with a 6.5...

Really? A couple fleet owners/mgrs here I worked for before called me to ask if I knew who to send theirs to to have them turned down. The drivers were "racing" them too much. Gearing differences maybe?

I'll agree the dmax is better used power In that much weight once loaded down. But trying to do it with low cost, I get the 6.5 idea.

Maybe someday I'll build a Duramax powered 90's Kodiak Crew Cab, I like the interior of the GMT 400 better than the 02 and newer Kodiak.

My LML is detuned, might be more than 300hp but no way is it near 400hp.

Not saying it's the best set up but a Kodiak radiator, big intercooler, over sized oil and trans coolers and I'd bet the 6.5 can work wot all day.

I mean, depends on your perspective, but merging into traffic can get hairy sometimes. Could definitely be gearing...

Also, the Kodiak cabs didn't really change much with the change to GMT800. The seats, etc are not like the GMT800 pickups. I just wish ours were cloth instead of vinyl, I get nasty swamp-ass in the summer... (TMI alert).

Haha! Ed, although some of us can relate, your supposed to give the warning BEFORE talking about swampy body parts:wacky:

Back