• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 6.5

DUSTINS6.5

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Silverado k2500 it has 200754 mi on it I have original log book well taken care of I am the second owner and got the truck for 700$ so far I've done 3" straight pipe, manual wastgate, air intake& put a nice set of BFG all terrains 295/75R16 I am very Happy with my Chevy.I lost my 5th gear about a month ago and before that I have had problems getting it to engage the starter I either have to tap the starter or let the truck roll and pop it in gear for it to turn. Can someone tell me some idea's

At 200K miles, time for a new starter and rebuilt tranny? And while working on the starter, make sure the support bracket is in place; if not, get one.

Time for a new injection pump and injectors as their service life is 100K miles.

Might also consider a new timing chain.

If all you did was lose 5th gear, then most likely all you need is the revised 5th gear nut.

If you have to tap the starter, then chances are it is bad. As said above, new starter or rebuild the current starter.

The rear starter bracket nut which is toward the front of the vehicle is a very important to be on also when reinstalling.

So I've had the truck for almost a year and the starter was the reason I got it so dirt cheap after finding the wire's burnt up I replaced them all to both batteries took the starter in to be rebuilt then about 4 month's later I smelled burning plastic and Daisy wouldn't fire up so I did some more new wire and that's were I am now

As the starter gets older it will cause more draw from the batteries and can overheat the wires going to the starter. Remove the starter and bench load test it to determine its condition. Rebuilt starters are never as good as new ones. If you can afford to invest in the best one, that would be a powermaster.

Standard Trans of Tucson is worth the drive. Good work and inexpensive.

The Manual WG is a bad idea as the undersized GM3 turbo is an air heater above 14 PSI and an extreme drive pressure restriction. It's that LAST thing that old engine needs. Get a real Turbomaster with a good boost gauge or better yet get a better turbo.

I have a boost guage and stay at about 12PSI there are tomes I want to yank a 7.3 around and I turn it up yo 15/18 but I don't see the reason for a new set up

Back