• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 3500 4x4 4L80E no Speedo or 4th gear

It's been cold bad haven't been outside working on the 6.5. during this time the starter died planning on replacing it and the thermostat this week coming. Then getting back on the go with it to see if I can't rediscover 4th gear.
Before the starter killed over it tried to shift to 4th once. I took off from a odd spot and give it some extra gas to blend into traffic and the temp rose to what should be operating temp. As soon as I let off the gas on the straight it shifted right back down and hasn't tried since.

For the starter, order a Powermaster 9052. The difference of it vs stock is amazing. Not sure if any of our sponsors sell that one. Summit usually has a really good price. Check any local hotrod shops in your area.

4th gear is overdrive. Did you ever check the adjustment on the tps? Definitely first place to start with a db2 truck.

I have to agree with dbrannon, seems like your thermostat may be stuck open if you are running that cool. On my truck it will get to 180/190 fairly easily and stay there pretty well usually, and ive noticed that on other 6.5 vehicles also. 185-195 is the norm i feel like when regular driving.

If the thermostat doesn't resolve your lockup issue, also may be worth verifying the temp sensors. Not sure on your 93 but theres usually two of them and the one that gives you the dashboard reading may not be the one that gives the signal for TCC lockup ( i think theres one on the crossover area and another down on the block near the power steering reservoir).

Ironton, OH...I remember that town quite well. Stopped there many years ago once to unload motorcycles and start a trip to the smokies. What a cool little town in the Ohio mountains! hope to go back there one day, i remember thinking that i didnt know Ohio had such interesting places....

I have to agree with dbrannon, seems like your thermostat may be stuck open if you are running that cool. On my truck it will get to 180/190 fairly easily and stay there pretty well usually, and ive noticed that on other 6.5 vehicles also. 185-195 is the norm i feel like when regular driving.

If the thermostat doesn't resolve your lockup issue, also may be worth verifying the temp sensors. Not sure on your 93 but theres usually two of them and the one that gives you the dashboard reading may not be the one that gives the signal for TCC lockup ( i think theres one on the crossover area and another down on the block near the power steering reservoir).

Ironton, OH...I remember that town quite well. Stopped there many years ago once to unload motorcycles and start a trip to the smokies. What a cool little town in the Ohio mountains! hope to go back there one day, i remember thinking that i didnt know Ohio had such interesting places....
Front of left side cylinder head is for the gauge.
Thermostat crossover for the temp sensor that controls the ECM and such. It has a two wire connector.

Not a whole lot there but a peaceful place to raise kids and cost of living isn't too bad.

Well as a update
Been very busy lot of family matters and work stuff going on. Crawled under the other day thinking the starter had gone out already had a starter for it in the cab found a bolt on the ground turns out the rear bracket for the starter was never bolted on and have a starter bolt broke off in the block. Also snapped a thermostat housing bolt that was a grade 8 that was fun to drill out. Going to take it to a local shop to have them drill out and possibly helicoil the starter bolt.

If You dont have the starter bace. Get on Leroy Diesel. He does have them and the price was affordable. I believe that He might also have suitable brace bolts too. Not sure on that though.
Also, use the original equipment starter bolts.
You are fortunate that the bolt broke off. Now take an awl or a center punch and see if it will turn. If not, use the center punch and more to the edge of the bolt, lighty tap the punch so ot will turn the broke bolt in the direction to remove it. Many times a hard bolt will turn and be easily removed.
Now that You have brought it to Our attention. I’m going to put a wrench to the bracket/brace bolts on My truck and check that they have not worked loose.

take it from my rig, it's living proof (at the moment) that the rear barcket can cause a LOT of grief! my block broke at the mounting ear and was welded up and helicoiled by the previous owner. I didn't find this out until it began to have grinding issues on the starter to ring gear teeth. ended up replacing the flex plate and installing a bracket. so far (knocking on wood with lots of praying 🙏🙏🙏🙏 ) it is still holding up.

be sure to use genuine GM starter bolts and not the ones from the help section at the auto parts for replacements.

Back