• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 3500 4x4 4L80E no Speedo or 4th gear

Iirc 4th gear is inhibited until engine temps are above 100 degrees and tcc is inhibited until 140 degrees. You also have to keep in mind there is also trans temp inhibitors that can prevent lockup from engaging. It's been awhile since I looked at any 6.5 .bins, and these would have been 94/95 ds4 set temps. 91-93 4x4 with a 4l80e are the only ones that use 3 speed sensors, so they're unique from other years. 1st thing to check is always your TPS on a db2 truck. It really is difficult and can get rather expensive working on a 4l80e equipped truck without a scanner. There is so many things that can cause issues and without seeing the data stream, you have no idea what is going on, what it is seeing, and why it is(or isn't) commanding things.

I think I remember Ferm saying the 93's require a GM tech 2 to read the codes and data. I would be curious if the GMTDscan software on a laptop would be able to read. I do have a bin in my collection for a 6.5 tranny controller but I don't think I have the right xdf for tunerpro to decipher it correctly.

just looked in the library. the bin I have is a BACX from a 92-93 L65 GM #16147609 chip type 27C128 and shows it needs xdf $D3 to read and tune it. I would love to find the xdf file so I can have a look at it and it's settings. might make for a possibility to make some adjustments so it could be fitted into a 94-95 PCM and make an easy conversion from ds4 to a db2 pump without needing to have a tranny controller. :)

Maybe @THEFERMANATOR would have something in his library and knowledge on it for us :D

about the bin and such? it's a microchip inside the engine / trans computer that controls everything. on the pre-96 vehicles one could buy these chips programmed to "supercharge" the vehicles. on the 96+ it takes a device to do "on vehicle" programming

I was talking about when you have a ds4 IP that's all electronic ( uses a PMD ) and want to go to the old tried and true manual "old school" IP that doesn't need a computer to run, the electronic trans still needs the puter to shift. this is what Gurp has, a 93 uses a computer to only control the trans and nothing for the engine. the sensors on the engine are for the trans to shift, it also monitors some things on the engine but can't control it.

there is a software for your pc that you can take these chips and read them, the pc software then shows you settings you can see and change to improve things. the "xdf" file is a kinda instruction set that tells software on the pc where to look on this chip for each setting. the bin is the information that is on the chip, it;s in a hex code format that we can't read like text on a screen without the xdf file (definition file)

I hope that might help explain it all. lol I am still learning it all. some of the other threads I have where I have posted screenshots of tables and graphs is exactly this.

about the bin and such? it's a microchip inside the engine / trans computer that controls everything. on the pre-96 vehicles one could buy these chips programmed to "supercharge" the vehicles. on the 96+ it takes a device to do "on vehicle" programming

I was talking about when you have a ds4 IP that's all electronic ( uses a PMD ) and want to go to the old tried and true manual "old school" IP that doesn't need a computer to run, the electronic trans still needs the puter to shift. this is what Gurp has, a 93 uses a computer to only control the trans and nothing for the engine. the sensors on the engine are for the trans to shift, it also monitors some things on the engine but can't control it.

there is a software for your pc that you can take these chips and read them, the pc software then shows you settings you can see and change to improve things. the "xdf" file is a kinda instruction set that tells software on the pc where to look on this chip for each setting. the bin is the information that is on the chip, it;s in a hex code format that we can't read like text on a screen without the xdf file (definition file)

I hope that might help explain it all. lol I am still learning it all. some of the other threads I have where I have posted screenshots of tables and graphs is exactly this.
I could absolutely let all the smoke out of an ECM with something like that. 😹😹😹😹

Ideally you need a tech1 or tech1a scanner for the oddball 91-93 trans controller. I think the tech2 could do it as a 93, but I'm not certain. As to the aftermarket scanners, I'm not sure. You have to keep in mind the 91-93 6.5l used a trans only controller, so there wasn't alot of push in the aftermarket to support it. And I don't think gmtdscantech can do it as that is catered to 94-95 ds4 scanning. You could use a serial adapter and tunerpro, but you would have to find a file to make it decipher the info, and I've never seen anything for the trans only controllers.

it might be possible with tunerpro on the pc but trouble is finding the proper files online for it to read the parameters and display the info in plain english is like finding a needle in a hey stack! I have the ones for the 94-95 ds4 trucks, but like ferm said it most likely won't show the right stuff as it's for electronic injection.

I would be curious if those chinese made GM tech 2's would work. much cheaper than a real one and reviews seem to say as long as you don't update it with GM's software it will continue to work just as the real one.

ALDL to USB adapter then that program like what @dbrannon79 has along with the proper bin files and that might show what is going on. Have to be able to read and know what parameters the sensors ETC should be run ing at.
That is the serial adapter I posted about earlier, but finding the definition files for an oddball tcm only that was used for only 3 years will be your obstacle.

Back