• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Prep looks outstanding!
Thanks Mike!

A very different color for sure, there will not be many trucks of the same color out there.
Definately part of the why. If you sit and watch cars these days they are all White, Grey/Silver and Black.... every once in awhile you see a red or blue.....

Pleeease put an Allis Chalmers vanity plate on it. :)View attachment 56936
That would be like, 99% lost where I live.

Tangier Orange. That'll sear some retinas for sure! Paint some steel rims the same color with Baby Moon hubcaps, that would be sharp looking!

Tangier Orange. That'll sear some retinas for sure! Paint some steel rims the same color with Baby Moon hubcaps, that would be sharp looking!
Yeah I don't know that it would work so well with 4wd and the lift... I have some nice polished wheels for it already anyway.

Could send you some big white "GO VOLS" stickers lol would fit right in around here.
I don't even know what that is.

Or Denver Broncos!
Of course that would mean he would HAVE to have a blue interior to go with that paint!
Nooooooooooo

It's simply amazing how life gets in the way sometimes. Or at least in my case, life has been so busy that I have had zero time to update the forum as it takes a good deal of effort VS a quick instagram or facebook post.

So, one thing that wasn't really discussed during all of this, I had learned that the company I had worked for for 12 years was closing it's doors. Shortly after starting the paint, I begin a career at a new company, with new people, commuting more and working more. I'm currently on a "mega project" of which I currently can't name. I also had some water/ant damage to my house I had to repair, as well as my normal trips. So free time has been quite minimal. I spend most of my free time working on the truck, and I've actually made really, really good progress.

So, to that end, let’s get you caught up.

So finishing out May 2019

Painting: There was a lot of it. 3-4 coats of single stage enamel followed by 3-4 coats of acrylic clear. This thing really pops. Pictures don’t do it justice.

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

Between all this painting, I also got the axles re-assembled, and under the frame on the old springs.

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

So this brings us to June. At this point the fenders, doors, tailgate, hood and cab were all painted. Those panels were moved and stored in a storage unit. This is also the time where I ended up with my new “Work Truck” that you may recognize as my father’s old truck – The company I work for has a vehicle allowance to purchase your own vehicle as a work truck, so I ended up with my father’s 2009 K1500 SLT Sierra with the 6.2L and 44k miles. He got a new 2019 Duramax.

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

A few generations

IMG_3096.jpg

Then we moved onto the bed

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

Just look at that shine – mind you this is with zero alterations from how the paint was applied.

IMG_3343.jpg

We finished all the bodywork on the 4th of July weekend and off to storage it went.

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

Now that all that was done and out of my dad’s shop, I could concentrate on the rest of the truck… or so I thought. This was about the time I found an ant infestation and water damage to the entire back wall of the master bedroom. So that took up the rest of July to completely rip down to foundation and rebuild that portion of wall. Then I had a planned quad trip (which I desperately needed), and a wedding to attend to. On top of regular day to day things.

At this point, its late August. Time to start sorting bolts, brackets, etc, etc, etc

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

The plastic frame ID tag original to the truck. Still haven’t quite figured out the meaning behind each set of letters, colors or shapes I’ve seen.

IMG_4491.jpg

And between all the holiday madness, I was able to keep working on details here and there.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

After the arrival of 2020, I turned back to the underhood area… Cleaned and painted brackets, a new Sanden AC pump, and more power in the form of a Whipple Supercharger. Or as I like to call it, the “Whip Whip”.

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Back