• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

I've had a few people ask why I'm going from 8-lug back to 6-lug... Well, the primary reason is the 8-lug Dana 44 hubs set the wheels out 1-1/4" wider on each side, so 2.5" of more track width.

Seems to me that a pair of 2" spacers would have gotten less work than re-gearing another rear.

But, hey . . . A project is a project :)

And looking forward to the end results :D

Seems to me that a pair of 2" spacers would have gotten less work than re-gearing another rear.

But, hey . . . A project is a project :)

And looking forward to the end results :D
No no no, the front is too wide when it's 8 lug, it's not about finding a width matching axle.

The dana 44 axle itself stays the same 6-lug to 8-lug, but everything spindle/rotor/bearing/hub out sits differently and moves the wheels farther outboard in 8 lug form. I have my 6-lug stuff still, i'm just swapping it back on the front to change it.

Yes, the spacers are for the rear.

Although, if the front axle width causes issues with tire clearance, that makes sense. Then again, I am probably missing something . . . :)

Yes, the spacers are for the rear.

Although, if the front axle width causes issues with tire clearance, that makes sense. Then again, I am probably missing something . . . :)
The front axle is just too wide, tires stick out too far, and ultimately rub the bumper/fender when flexing.

Gotcha. That does make sense.

Although . . . You sure a body lift is not easier? :D
I wouldn't do a body lift. It's not about going higher, it's all about the width of the tires past the body.
Its looking awesome so far.

How much media did you go through for the whole frame?
200LBS but i re-used it multiple times.

Been a hot minute, had quite a few things happen since the last update!

Pulled the axles. This is the only easy way to move a 14FF.
IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Got the frame setup and acid etched.
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG-0317.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Then spent many hours coating it.
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

I then spent a bunch of time doing some other things - had my great uncle pass away, the Black Fox started making a ticking sound that ended up with a failing cam/lifter which was ripped apart and replaced, and bought a 46k mile 06 GMC K3500 SLT Duramax/Allison truck.... Among thanksgiving and two trips back to back. Progress has slowed a little but I should be back at it soon. More details on the other endeavors are in my Black Fox thread.

Finished stripping the cab out, then loaded everything up to move to start bodywork.
IMG-2354.jpg

IMG-2355.jpg

IMG-2356.jpg

IMG-2358.jpg

IMG-2359.jpg

Removed the glass, then started fixing some imperfections
IMG-2362.jpg

IMG-2363.jpg

IMG-2384.jpg

Ended up picking up a couple more body panels, want to make sure I'm using the best panels possible.
IMG-2387.jpg

The put doors and fenders on for mock up and repair.
IMG-2388.jpg

IMG-2389.jpg

IMG-2390.jpg

Well, it's been just over an month, I think it's a good time to owe you guys an update.....
Started out by doing the 97+ passenger firewall bracket and 95+ pillar grab handle and column support, as well as cleaning up some firewall holes.
IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

Also added the slots for the overhead console, and proper reinforced nuts for bucket seats.
IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

Bodywork progressed. Big time. First up was the cab corner replacement, along with a huge mess of sanding and well, more sanding.
IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

Installed new pins & bushings to make sure the bodylines are straight. The final adjustment will happen at assembly
IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

Additionally, we pie-wedged the edge of the front fenders to create some more clearance where my tires would hit... Before and After
IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

More Sanding... primer... guide coat... block... primer.... sand...
IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

I also cleaned up the upper windshield area where some rust was starting, and coated it with KBS rust stop frame coating.
IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

Oh there was more sanding and primer and sanding. Did I mention sanding?
IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

But that isn't all. During the time all this bodywork was happening at my father's house, I was working on the axles and brake hardware at my house....
Sand blasted, coated the axles with KBS and painted all the smaller items with Enamel.
IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

SO MUCH PAINT. Also had to re-gear the 14SF down to 4.56 to match the front. Rear axle is all new bearings and seals, front is all new seals as it was rebuilt not many miles ago.
IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

And just because, to keep you all up to date, I managed to get the welds and new tires on the 06 as well as the airbags.
IMG-2229.jpg

And just to cement in the amounts of insanity I currently compel, A few other tidbits that have "slowed me down" on progressing on my truck.

I decided I was tired of the temperatures outside and insulated and sheetrocked my garage ceiling.
IMG-2146.jpg

One weekend I helped extract a 26' ex russian lifeboat from a pond.
IMG-2452.jpg

IMG-2453.jpg

IMG-2455.jpg

And of course I found time to take a trip camping.
IMG-2619.jpg

IMG-2622.jpg

IMG-2623.jpg

Then last weekend, a friend from Ill flew here and he, myself and 4 others proceeded to over the course of 3 days to visit 9 wrecking yards... It was kinda a blur. We all did well, and I found things such as these really, really perfect Denali switches and steering wheel....
IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

Oh, and another powr-slider rear power window....
IMG_2686.jpg

So this is where things are at. We have been letting the body sit awhile to "cure" before painting... which I would expect to happen in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

Made it into the final stages of prepping the cab...
IMG-2728.jpg

Undercoated the floorpan while it's apart.
IMG-2730.jpg

Then just more and more primer sanding and those things. I also added the texture chip guard to the cab rockers and front fender edges.
IMG-2785.jpg

IMG-2784.jpg

camphoto-132152946.jpg

Then got a few things set and shot some color. Painting the roof first then will do the rest of the cab. Just hard to paint the roof and the rockers due to their proximity to the ceiling and ground respectively.
IMG-2797.jpg

Next few weeks should have more and more paint progress!

Oh you wanted to see the paint. :)

IMG-2802.jpg

IMG-2812.jpg

IMG-2799.jpg

IMG-2804.jpg

IMG-2814.jpg

Tangier Orange baby! Have kept the color choice a secret up to this point. I'm SO happy with it though. Tired of seeing all the bland colors these days.

More to come!

Back