• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Well, this is true. In reality I doubt these handles are any tougher than the ones they replaced. I originally bought them for the 88 and decided they would look really weird sticking out on a regular cab stepside pickup.

Give it a week, you won't even notice them anymore. That is until you put your hand on the handle to open the door. The word SOILD keeps coming to mind.

Still pretty good or a full size!

I keep a fuel journal and record mileage, fill quantity, price, etc.

The numbers are more accurate if you know how much you took on a fill and how far ou went on it rather than when the nozzle "clicks".

I also log it all in my desktop proggy: Kaizen Software Vehicle Manager 2008 Enterprise Edition v2.0

Keeps all my oil changes, parts replacements, Parts costs, dates, part numbers, etc.

Really is a great tool when you want to really see what you're putting into your vehicles....

Interesting. I'm curious about this software. Thanks for the info, GW.

Those handles look a tad out of place. I think the 02 style recessed ones would look better? However, they are the most stout handles possible. They would look good on my truck!! :) Someday I'll get a set for me.

If you ever want to sell em, lemme know.

Not a fan of the door handles, but those mirrors look awesome! I personaly have always hated the narrow black plastic mirrors so those are a welcomed upgrade. Did you buy those as a direct fit, or did you modify the mounting holes to accept the newer style mirror?

Well, here is a few more parts.....

Door hinge pins and bushings
P1110239.jpg

Cab light lenses
P1110241.jpg

2001+ dually clearance light
P1110240.jpg

GMT800 trailer harness. Picked this up on ebay cheap, going to re-wire the trailer plug and brake controller my way, with lots of weatherpack connectors.
P1110237.jpg

This is why I'm adding a later model harness: So I can easily replace the trailer connector if it becomes damaged (which seems to frequently happen to me)
P1110235.jpg

My favorite style plug, 7-pin and 4-pin combination made by Hopkins. They have gasketed covers over both connectors, and have fully sealed backsides. This model plugs directly into a factory GMT800 harness.
P1110232.jpg

P1110234.jpg

P1110233.jpg

And I can't get any of this installed, cause well, the snow has been coming down all day. I did stop on my way back from work and get a few better pictures of her with the polished PY0s, Towing mirrors and Topkick/Kodiak handles.
IMG_20110222_150510.jpg

IMG_20110222_150545.jpg

IMG_20110222_150650.jpg

IMG_20110222_150803.jpg

IMG_20110222_150813.jpg

More details of the handles
IMG_20110222_150633.jpg

IMG_20110222_150704.jpg

IMG_20110222_150745.jpg

IMG_20110222_150835.jpg

I like the handles. and i will definetly be buying a set of those mirrors i think they look great and after using them while driving a Gmt 800 truck they are very functonal. did you wire up a controller for the power mirrors on your 88? are the turn signals easy to wire? are they the heated ones, how was that to wire up, im guessing its just 12v with a switch?

as an edit i realized that you said there is a thread about it all some where i will try and find it

Short answer: Yes to all.

Long answer: I linked my original install of them on my 88 in post #47, that thread will give you more details.

Wired up the new trailer plug today. Removed the 6-pin round style plug and this T adapter.
IMG_20110223_163714.jpg

It's still snowing so I backed the tail of the truck in the garage, so I could at least be dry....
IMG_20110223_144433.jpg

I had planned on installing that GMT800 harness, come to find out these trucks are already wired for an RV plug, something I wasn't aware of. So, I instead just added a GMT800 style plug and soldiered everything together.
IMG_20110223_152822.jpg

Now I just need to drill a larger hole and mount it in the bumper. I'm disappointed the PO installed the 6-pin round in the bumper where the left licence plate light was at, but it seems to be a common occurance on these trucks. Nothing I can do but re-cover it with another plug. While I was under there I pulled the licence plate harness out and tapped into it for my dually clearance light.
IMG_20110223_142847.jpg

And after lots of measurements.
IMG_20110223_161839.jpg

IMG_20110223_161953.jpg

IMG_20110223_162131.jpg

IMG_20110223_161850.jpg

Last edited:
If you ever decide to put a canopy on and hook up a third brake light you'll find a wire under there for that also.

Your truck is really looking good. I kinda like those handles, although I would like to see some of them in person sometime, not just pics. I don't like the lift up handles, too flimsy. We've had problems with them on our Astro vans.

Bk95 and I have been sharing info on mirrors and your write-up has pushed me to order the same ones this evening. I'm probably going to have to do a complete wire loom since I have manual mirrors.

Don

I did also find that wire, although I doubt this truck will ever see a canopy.

Let me know when you get your mirrors. I'm thinking about switching back to the stainless set, and if I do I'll probably take the harness I built out of the 88, so it in theory would be for sale.....

I will let you know when the mirrors arrive. I've been searching the pic-n-pulls for 94/earlier door panels, wiring and/or the switches but so far all the pickups and Subs have been picked over pretty hard. I did pick up a couple other model switches if I have to retrofit something.

If you do pull that harness let me know. I'm on a very limited income so I may not be able to afford it but I'd at least like first offer on it. Any special reason for considering switching back to the stainless mirrors?

Don

Well, I used a switch from a S-10 on my setup, worked quite well and fits the dash nice.

Only reason I'd switch back to the stainless mirrors is the style, I like them much better compared tot he 95+ mirrors. Now I just have to decide if i'd rather have the style i like or power.

Just thought I'd update you on what I did today. I went junk yard hopping and found a small gold mine that I was hoping for but not really expecting. So far all the 94/earlier pickups and Subs I have found in the yards have been very well picked over. I found the drivers door panel arm rest switch plate, with switches, and door to door wire loom out of a Sub today. The arm rest is tan instead of grey, but I have a rattle can of grey left over from doing my door pillar gauge pod.

So, if you end up swapping out the mirrors, I now have a factory loom so your loom can go to somebody else that needs one.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Don

I came home today and simply had to, just HAD to start drilling holes in my trucks pristine sheetmetal. It was about 24 degrees outside when I started, and 6 degrees when I finished.

Removal of snow, masking tape to measure from
IMG_20110224_163306.jpg

I has 15 holes in mah head........
IMG_20110224_170216.jpg

Mmmmmmm, cablights.
IMG_20110224_201706.jpg

I also decided to wire up my high idle switches. Unfortunately I had to offset them a bit to fit both on one side of the filler plate. I'm thinking in the future about creating a dial style knob or something.
IMG_20110224_214551.jpg

And while I had the drill out, I decided to finish installing the trailer plug. I hate this location, but there was a hole in the bumper here already from the PO. One day I'll snag a new bumper and relocate it somewhere else.
IMG_20110224_221020.jpg

Back