• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Leroy, If i had time to keep all 3 trucks clean i'd start cleaning other's stuff as well.

There was at least another Kodiak handle down at the wrecker's I got this one from. Devin and I are planning to head back that way in the next few weeks to pilfer parts, if he has 1 or 2 i'll snag them and sell them to you for their price + shipping. IIRC they charged $20/ea with lockrods. Or maybe I can trade you a set for a PMD extension cable.

Sold, let me know!

Took a friend up to Spokane today, on the way back filled it up to the click on the nozzle. Set the cruise at 1,800 RPMs (peak torque) which is about 62 MPH. Drove 56 miles, filled to the click again, which was 2.1 gallons of diesel used. Yes, that is 26.6 MPG.

26.6 MPG from a 7,000 LB truck................

Cant trust the clicking off to be filled the same. Different pumps will have different fuel pressure which will cause more backpressure to cause it to click. Mine clicks off like 6 times while filling it with 30 gallons. To get mileage as close as possible I fill it until I cant put fuel in for a couple seconds without it about to overflow, I can let it click and still get a couple more gallons into it by feathering the trigger. Is the odometer accurate too?

You can definately get the 22mpg you recorded before, but I would be skeptical of more than that.

Back in 95-96 I went to Florida in the 93. Speed limit was 55. Set cruise on 55, tailgate down. Over 1800 miles got 25-26.x MPG

Edit: Fuel was also 95.9 cents a gallon!!!!!

Last edited:
I know that different stations behave differently. The second station actually clicked right after I started pumping, so I had to pull the nozzle back out a bit. In both cases, I could see fuel at the filler, and each were approximate the level as the previous. My speedometer and odometer are dead on, I verified the speedometer with a GPS and it's dead on.

The truck ODO said 55.9 (and was about to roll over), My phone GPS said 56 miles even. Google maps says 54.6 miles. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...63864&sspn=0.001532,0.003549&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19

In any case, it's still floating right at 26 MPG or there-abouts. Not trying to make bogus numbers, but I can attest that I moved from the station to the highway, went through each gear at about 1/3 throttle shifting at 2k each time till I reached the speed limit (started out at 55, then up to 60 where I went 62MPH). There was no wind, no weather, and I didn't have to pass anybody. I set the cruise the entire way until reaching Colfax. Honestly it's not the most realistic since usually I have wind, end up passing, etc. I just wanted to see how far I could take it, and the conditions on this trip were just that ideal I guess. I don't think I could ever expect more out of it.

my 23 mpg run in the 96 was with 1K of combine parts in the bed, and it was at 1900 RPM. I think the 5 speed and low rpms are key to mpg success. I believe you, and now I must beat you at your own mpg game!

LOL we are all on. Devin beat me in his Duramax 'till tonight. I really can't imagine much more out of my truck, unless it's entirely downhill with a tailwind.

I do agree, the 5-speed helps a ton. My 88 gained a few MPGs when I swapped it over, both in town and on the highway.

88GMC.....what did you use to take the clearcoat off the wheels? I have a set that I'm picking up and they need work, and after seeing what you did to yours I'd like to do the same.

So im not going to lie....I have always favored the factory steel wheels over the PYO rims, but after seeing yours with the older style center caps, i may be re-thinking that opinion! Those look awesome!! In fact the entire truck looks great :thumbsup:

Best off to keep a running log if you want to accurately measure mpg. 26 mpg is excellent in a big ol' girl like that! My 98 averages around 13 mpg, but that's with an auto and 4:11 gearing...

Yeah, the tank before that was 17.5 MPG, which included a week of driving to campus and around town, as well as 200 miles or so of highway.

Yeah, the tank before that was 17.5 MPG, which included a week of driving to campus and around town, as well as 200 miles or so of highway.

Still pretty good or a full size!

I keep a fuel journal and record mileage, fill quantity, price, etc.

The numbers are more accurate if you know how much you took on a fill and how far ou went on it rather than when the nozzle "clicks".

I also log it all in my desktop proggy: Kaizen Software Vehicle Manager 2008 Enterprise Edition v2.0

Keeps all my oil changes, parts replacements, Parts costs, dates, part numbers, etc.

Really is a great tool when you want to really see what you're putting into your vehicles....

Well, I spent a bit of time working on the trucks today. I pulled the towing mirrors off the 88 and put them on the 99. I haven't wired them up yet (need to add signal and heated circuits for them) but they are on. I also took the handles out and swapped them in favor of Topkick/Kodiak handles.

IMG_20110221_172541.jpg

IMG_20110221_153410.jpg

I'm still on the fence with these handles. I really, really love how they feel and function, and they do match the style of the towing mirrors, but, they just kinda look out of place. Almost like someone just pulled them out of a bin on the assembly line and screwed them on, instead of designing something that really fits the lines of the truck. I have kept in mind the fact that they are from a medium duty truck, where function trumps style of course. So, I'm going to used them awhile, see if they grow on me.

I also swapped the mirrors from the 99 onto the 88. I've never been the biggest fan of this style mirror and have preferred the stainless style better, but after having power mirrors in the truck I really don't think I want to give that option up now. I do think they fit the trucks proportions a bit better than the towing mirrors still.
IMG_20110221_150000.jpg

Also, this is the 5th set of different style mirrors the 88 has seen. Past mirrors....

GMT800 Towing:
P1110036.jpg

CIPA towing.
P1110021.jpg

OEM stainless
P1060548.jpg

OEM Sport mirrors
0420091845.jpg

I agree the handles are a little bulky looking, but they are so solid and functional. I put a new latch and pin bushing kit on the driver door also, its like a brand new door. Just a slight push and it closes solidly.

Yeah, next free day I have with Devin to help me pins and bushings are for sure happening, I already bought them just haven't put new ones on.

I do agree, the handles are quite stout pieces, and the way they work is even better. I just am not sure yet on their looks.

Back