• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Been awhile since I've updated this thread, been quite busy between settling in, camping, and finding random ways to make money since I haven't started working yet.

Few pictures I didn't post from a trip right after moving in.
2011-06-18_09-19-43_874.jpg

2011-06-18_09-19-22_553.jpg

2011-06-18_09-19-03_684.jpg

2011-06-18_09-18-18_656.jpg

A week ago I got back from my family trip to the Oregon sand dunes. The truck ran so great. It's almost 400 miles each way, and it didn't use any coolant or oil. One tank each direction, 13MPG down 11MPG back. It just floated out into the sand with the trailer, and got around quite easily.
2011-07-09_07-17-00_481.jpg

2011-07-11_12-06-15_403.jpg

2011-07-13_14-47-04_687.jpg

2011-07-11_12-29-17_754.jpg

2011-07-11_12-30-26_69.jpg

2011-07-11_12-30-52_554.jpg

2011-07-11_12-32-30_404.jpg

Here is a few shots of the Jeeps from our group
2011-07-10_12-11-58_905.jpg

2011-07-10_14-35-01_516.jpg

On the way back my father and I were essentially playing follow the leader. His truck is a 09 Sierra Crew K1500 with the 6.2L towing a 16' flatdeck and a CJ5. After getting home, he commented on how he couldn't outrun me in the hills, I just kept pulling farther away. Nothing like showing off the power of a 6.5L :D Here is his truck and trailer, at one point when he was infront of me.
2011-07-13_18-38-04_372.jpg

Just this week I was using the truck yet again, dad and I pulled all the scrap metal out from the yard and garage, ended up with over a ton of steel in my truck, and over 600lbs of aluminum in his.
2011-07-20_12-17-45_399.jpg

2011-07-20_12-17-55_803.jpg

So, overall the truck has been doing great, except for one thing..... Last week the stupid passlock system started acting up again, the security light comes on while driving. I'm going to re-check connections again, and hope I can remedy the problem...

defanitly is some perty country up there, why no pics of you jumping the dunes???? jk dont think even if a guy wanted to you could get one of these old pigs to jump a dun

Definitely is pretty country here. I live so close and have never been to the dunes.

All this green you see here is because of the rain, rain, and more rain, and sometimes wind to drive the rain through you. Did I say rain? Inland where I live the rain generally starts around Labor Day, goes off and on until October, then settles in until May, then off and on through about mid June. This year we've had off and on rain until last week (mid July!). After a while the rain gets to be a downer.

I like the slightly drier green of central Oregon that is found on the east side of the Cascade mountains.

Don

defanitly is some perty country up there, why no pics of you jumping the dunes???? jk dont think even if a guy wanted to you could get one of these old pigs to jump a dun

I wouldn't say that!!! I have a pic somewhere of Ol' Blue parked on top of a dune and a later that evening pic of our EX hired hand getting it pulled out of the side of a sand dune. lol

Definitely is pretty country here. I live so close and have never been to the dunes.

All this green you see here is because of the rain, rain, and more rain, and sometimes wind to drive the rain through you. Did I say rain? Inland where I live the rain generally starts around Labor Day, goes off and on until October, then settles in until May, then off and on through about mid June. This year we've had off and on rain until last week (mid July!). After a while the rain gets to be a downer.

I like the slightly drier green of central Oregon that is found on the east side of the Cascade mountains.

Don

Don't get to depressed, dry is worse. We are over 10" behind normal rain fall here. We only get low 20" in a wet year. 115* everyday and not a drop of moisture in sight makes for a VERY depressing summer....

Need a part

Hi, I've read over your thread and love the way you have been doing things with your 99. I also have a 99 and right now it's dead. I am in desperate need of an APPS. :mad2:

Maybe you or someone you know might have one. Anything from a 94 to early 2000 will fit. What I need the most is the APPS sensor, not really the accelerator pedal. :driving: I am willing to pay for it and shipping, but need one as soon as possible.

This is a call in desperation. I don't have alot of money, but willing to part with some within reason.

HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headache:

Hi, I've read over your thread and love the way you have been doing things with your 99. I also have a 99 and right now it's dead. I am in desperate need of an APPS. :mad2:

Maybe you or someone you know might have one. Anything from a 94 to early 2000 will fit. What I need the most is the APPS sensor, not really the accelerator pedal. :driving: I am willing to pay for it and shipping, but need one as soon as possible.

This is a call in desperation. I don't have alot of money, but willing to part with some within reason.

HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headache:
:hijacked: a PM would have been better.

Wow, it's been a REALLY long time since I've updated this thread or done anything to the truck. Honestly, I haven't done squat to the truck aside from drive it once a week or so. Since the move I've been living he unemployed life, trying to find some work. Really right now I'm just scraping by.

Anyway, after the last two months of applying for jobs and getting nothing, I finally took a break to wash the truck for the first time since May.... And today did a touch of wiring to install the Dick Cepek driving/fog lights and air dam I've had occupying space in the garage since before the move. I also re-wired the headlights for 4-hi and to be relay based, completely eliminating current running through the dash switches.

The lights are in the same location as my OE fogs on the 88, however they are physically larger and unlike the OE ones, they are dual bulb with fog and driving lights. The look a little more like the piaa setup that existed years ago for these trucks.

Lights off
2011-08-21_20-00-24_743.jpg

2011-08-21_20-00-01_297.jpg

Low and Fog
2011-08-21_19-57-30_632.jpg

2011-08-21_19-57-59_552.jpg

8-Hi
2011-08-21_19-58-34_60.jpg

2011-08-21_19-58-18_691.jpg

can you post a shot on the wall or into the dark garage. they look real good. what is the number on the lower lights, the 2500E, C-808 , or the 4000E. looks like the 2500E but they are no longer available.

They are the 2500E lights. I bought a few sets of them years and years ago, and this was the last set I had laying around. They are a really nice light actually, well made.

I'll get around to garage shots at some point.

i want to do the 4hi mod and the relay setup but havent got the slightest clue how to do it some one needs to do a write up on that "hint hint"

most people could do it for $10 or less.
Wiring the relay 88-98 trucks:

1. Connect ground to body(relay circut 85).

2. Splice switch/trigger wire (12v)from high beam green wire(relay circut 86).

3. Splice accessory circut to low beam brown wire(relay circut 87).

4. Connect Power from battery to 30AMP inline fuse to relay(relay circut 30).

5. Turn on headlights. Low beams should stay on with high beams.

relaywire.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that deejaaa, I was going to refer to another thread, but that serves as well.

I don't have my truck wired that way, I use 2 relays so each headlight is powered off the relay instead of the switch & column dimmer, then use the factory cab side wiring as the triggers for the relays. The high beam side also has a diode to keep the lows engaged in a similar fashion, thus creating 4-hi.

Back