• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Dang, you do it up. Your updates are always great. And you had me there for a second with the 2016, but I knew you had way too much time and effort into the 99 to ever let it go.

Do the heated seats actually work? My 98 Tahoe had heated seats, but the heater had been left on so much on the driver's side that it was pretty much worn out. Passenger side worked great, though...

The heated seats in my ‘01 burb and ‘10 escalades come on slow for 5 minutes then by 8 minutes you are on fire. I want to add those heaters to my hummer seats when I have them redone for the trips to the snow and those ridiculously cold 30 degree days of winter. Yes, 30 is rediculous. Below that you guys need a campfire inside your trucks. Great upgrade you made imo.

I will give it to GM, when it comes to heated seats they get HOT! My Fords and RAM never get like that. After the broken pelvis that hot heat feels good on cold mornings.

Dang, you do it up. Your updates are always great. And you had me there for a second with the 2016, but I knew you had way too much time and effort into the 99 to ever let it go.

Do the heated seats actually work? My 98 Tahoe had heated seats, but the heater had been left on so much on the driver's side that it was pretty much worn out. Passenger side worked great, though...
Oh yes, they work great! So, there are three parts to the heated seats, the switch, a special relay under the seat, and the elements. If you get no heat on either setting, likely the element is broken (it's just a thin wire) and to complete the circuit both the base and back need to be operational. If you unplug the small 2 wire plug under the seat, as the very back of the underside of the base you should get continuity through it, if not, it's bad. You can remove the leather and typically see where it broke (usually a small burn mark). One of mine was broken, I had to repair the wire. If it's only one setting not working, it's likely the relay. Get one from the junkyard, they are expensive to replace new as they have some special circuitry in them.

The heated seats in my ‘01 burb and ‘10 escalades come on slow for 5 minutes then by 8 minutes you are on fire. I want to add those heaters to my hummer seats when I have them redone for the trips to the snow and those ridiculously cold 30 degree days of winter. Yes, 30 is rediculous. Below that you guys need a campfire inside your trucks. Great upgrade you made imo.
I will give it to GM, when it comes to heated seats they get HOT! My Fords and RAM never get like that. After the broken pelvis that hot heat feels good on cold mornings.
I've noticed these seats are hotter than any GMT800 I've ever used, and WAY hotter than anything newer than that. It's great. I totally want them in anything future that I plan to wheel.

----------------------

I went to the junkyard the last 2 days and while I don't always grab a bunch of stuff, here was my find:
AUX Lamps Switch
9384F253-DDD3-4672-A47F-8BA21ACDDE8B.jpg

Z71 tahoe brush guard and chrome diesel bumper. I literally saved this from crush, the truck was 3 cars away... I had to get permission from the manager to remove it during their lunch break. The truck it was on was processed but never even saw the yard... 94 ECLB K3500 SRW 6.5L truck. Not a dent. Motor was obviously toast based on the amount of oil underhood. Sad day for that truck. I couldn't pass up taking a dent free diesel bumper, nor the remote mount PMD behind it... ;)
98250617-E592-4344-9598-C92C0DCCDF1B.jpg

Another junkyard find in a 96 suburban... Oh how I love 90's GM for things like this.
E0C559E8-D885-4D4C-917D-F39F06772122.jpg

And, while it isn't everybody's cup of tea, I did install the Z71 guard on my truck. I like it but I also don't. It's rugged looking, but it's really just for looks as it's aluminum. It also needs a new coat of paint ETC, which if I keep it on the truck will happen in the spring. Fortunately it isn't the end of the world to take back off if I change my mind.
2CF59914-AD5D-4336-8B01-E33002D88C3E.jpg

0168BD71-04FB-4457-9021-A8C6B8D163BA.jpg

462ED9AF-B9F9-439E-A5BF-364D0F3694AE.jpg

DAD8A4E2-269B-451C-B33B-D7ED8D145E49.jpg

Last edited:
I agree looks good, and I would leave it on after you freshen it up. Like you stated I don't think it will come close to protecting you against a deer strike unless its dead on center, the wings will just fold right up or snap off.

Truck looking great as always!

I have the 1993 chevy version of that truck. Even though I got it from a farmer here in Oregon it has a little rust on the frame and the bed. It has the stock weenie tires on it. Yours look like at least 245's. Do you need a special spacer for the bigger tires or all new wheels with different offsets?

I have the 1993 chevy version of that truck. Even though I got it from a farmer here in Oregon it has a little rust on the frame and the bed. It has the stock weenie tires on it. Yours look like at least 245's. Do you need a special spacer for the bigger tires or all new wheels with different offsets?
There is a bunch of info about the tire and wheel setup earlier in the thread. They are old Weld Alumadual II's and 255/85R16 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx with a 1.5" spacer in the rear.

Oh boy, what is this now...
916F9B0B-7F59-4158-A28F-A99515C83C8A.jpg

Well TTS, I'm back on the 6.5L train! Here we have a 97 GMC K1500 SLT suburban. It has 277k on it and randomly shuts off when it warms up... no way I know what that could be!
DF4EA154-76E9-4EC4-95AB-C2C270DF5639.jpg

The fleet is growing....
96804B65-4B07-4A75-AC6F-2F2D5C5A725A.jpg

Back