• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Well, for those of you who haven't heard elsewhere, I recently picked up another project: "Black Fox"

Anyway, here is the new towpig. It's a 1998 Silverado K3500, 454 NV4500 5-speed I bought with 135,000 miles.

Dealership Pictures.....

981.jpg

982.jpg

983.jpg

984.jpg

985.jpg

986.jpg

987.jpg

988.jpg

989.jpg

9810.jpg

9811.jpg

9812.jpg

9813.jpg

9814.jpg

9815.jpg

9816.jpg

So, The story goes like this: I've been looking for a new towpig awhile now. I was looking into duramax trucks but I still wanted a manual. After a few months of searching, etc I determined that the cost of owning one VS how much I would use it and the distances I would go just wasn't worth the money. I'd be buying it and wouldn't have any play money to customize it or anything either. So I started looking for GMT400 trucks again.... I ran across this truck about 3.5 hours from me. 1-owner trade in. The dealership listed it as an auto so I hadn't caught it prior. I called, got the pictures, etc etc.... Got the financing figured out. They were asking $9,000, I got them down to bluebook at $7,600 after pointing out some flaws I could see in the pictures. It also has 6 brand new Load E Toyo Open Country AT Tires.

I take the time to drive down there, with money in hand and a friend to drive my 02 back. I took it for a spin and after a few stoplights noticed a whining sound in gears 1 & 2. I later noticed it in Reverse too. The tech checks it, they check fluid. I know it's the bearings in the transmission.... Anyway they looked into it, while they did I grabbed some grub and figured out what I would still pay for it knowing I can' rebuild the transmission myself for a good deal less than they could and I'd have a great truck. So, after the last negotiations, I got the truck for $5,600. It made the 3.5 hour drive home no problems other than the hole in the gas tank :lol:

On the way home grabbing some grub. 21' long doesn't fit in many parking stalls.
IMAG1761.jpg

Or my garage.....
IMAG1765.jpg

My dog approved, although he was upset I wouldn't let him drive....
IMAG1762.jpg

And just for all you mid and east coast guys.... Here is what a 15 year old west coast truck looks like underneath.... Not a spec of rust anywhere :lol: Ok this truck is particularly clean underneath, even for this area.
IMAG1767.jpg

IMAG1769_1.jpg

So, with that said: Here is the start of my newest project truck, nicknamed "Black Fox". First order of business is to get the trans fixed up and go through the fluids and give it a tune up. Then on to a few towing items, such as removing the current power vision mirrors in favor of the GMT800 towing mirrors, getting a trailer plug wired in (they removed the wiring), and do some cleaning on the paint, wheels, repair the cracked dually fender.... Then eventually onto more "Fun" modifications like Kodiak door handles, Overhead console... etc.

Stay tuned!

exactly what my next truck would be except with a 6.5. Wish I could find one that clean around here and for that price.

exactly what my next truck would be except with a 6.5. Wish I could find one that clean around here and for that price.
There were a few 6.5Ls around but nothing with a NV4500. After dealing with my last one (what a headache) and then towing with my 454 in the 88 (even though it's built up) I decided the lack of associated problems with a 6.5L (PMD, injection, building up heat while towing) really just turned me away from one as a towpig. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 99 despite it's problems and miss it quite a bit. It would serve better for me a driver than as a trailer towing vehicle.

With my 88 I was getting 9-10 towing the trailer where as the 6.5L was getting 14-15. A decent difference but factoring in the additional fuel cost and maintenance items It's probably a wash at that point. And the 454's can go WOT up a mountain pass without moving the temp gauge.

Now, that isn't saying another diesel motor won't find it's way into this truck.... (hint)

Reminds me of my old one. BIG HOSS!

Yours is real clean.

View attachment 38591
Very nice! I have ALWAYS loved this body dually truck. They just look super angry and tough.

That's a really nice truck Dave. :thumbsup: Looking forward to the progress reports. We and our salted roads can only DREAM of an undercarriage like that 1 winter out of the showroom.

If you get rid of those mirrors keep me in mind. I have a set of the new GM style ones and have grown to really dislike them.

I test drove a 98 ex cab dually just like that before I bought my 95. It was knocking after the test drive. Had a bad radiator and it went while I was wot up a steep on ramp and I guess it shock cooled.

Love duallies they look like they are getting ready f' something even parked and are pretty bad @$$ drifting around corners.

Source Unknown

That's a really nice truck Dave. :thumbsup: Looking forward to the progress reports. We and our salted roads can only DREAM of an undercarriage like that 1 winter out of the showroom.
I'll have to get a picture under the 88. It's almost as nice.

If you get rid of those mirrors keep me in mind. I have a set of the new GM style ones and have grown to really dislike them.
Hum... which model are they (power, heat, signal)? I'm wanting to get a set of the new GM style ones for this truck... If they were at least power heat I'd be willing to swap with you if your interested.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe. In a few years anyway.

I test drove a 98 ex cab dually just like that before I bought my 95. It was knocking after the test drive. Had a bad radiator and it went while I was wot up a steep on ramp and I guess it shock cooled.

Love duallies they look like they are getting ready f' something even parked and are pretty bad @$$ drifting around corners.

Source Unknown
Heh. I *may* have already drifted it.

Mine were just power. Factory heat wasn't an option in 95, and I didn't feel like wiring it in. I need tow mirrors, but these big ones have left me with a lot of door rattles after 2 years of driving.

I always had a thing for wide-bottom girls, myself ... :hihi:

Nice truck! Keep us posted on the mods; I love your build-up threads!

Back in 2004-2005 I had a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 crew cab dually in black with red interior. It had the ever famous vortec 454 with an automatic transmission. I traded it in. For a daily driver of getting 11mpg it had to go. It towed well and got around nicely.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine. :thumbsup:

Back in 2004-2005 I had a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 crew cab dually in black with red interior. It had the ever famous vortec 454 with an automatic transmission. I traded it in. For a daily driver of getting 11mpg it had to go. It towed well and got around nicely.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine. :thumbsup:
What's wrong with that for daily driver? You got to pay to play man!:hihi:

That's a good looking truck.

I like the dually's too but just don't have a need for one. Otherwise, I'd have bought 635's a while back.

Thanks guys!

Welp, the deed has been done. Transmission is pulled from the truck, I'll have to get some pictures. Actually pulled a Getrag from a 90 1st gen Dodge cummins truck, it's getting a NV4500 as well. Was full day of transmission pulling!

Anyway, the trans was as expected inside, needs bearings and synchros. Had a good deal of metal in there. Gears all look fine. Clutch is getting replaced while I'm there.

Also went through a few things, here is the list of items that will be changed in the upcomming months:

- Rebuild transmission with new clutch
- New u-joints and carrier bearing
- Tune up - plugs, wires cap & rotor.
- Injectors. It has the famous leaky vortec injectors that hard start after sitting. Maybe higher flow and a tune.
- Replace broken glovebox
- Wire in trailer connector
- GMT800 towing mirrors
- Tint front windows
- Kodiak Handles
- Re-connect airbags (came with firestones but are disconnected)
- Paint the wheels
- New front lighting & Grille
- Repair/replace LH dually fender (cracked)
- Cut & buff truck, touch up scratches
- Toolbox

I have more things I'm ready to do but we'll leave those up to the imagination.

Sounds like a dang good start, looking forward to hearing how it runs with a tune and injectors.

Where do you get your grill and lights?

Source Unknown

Back