• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

83' G30 winnebago 4L80e swap in

JonnyPlus

Reaction score
Researching swapping th400 with a 4L80e (rather than GV) lead me here, seems like a great deal of knowledge here. It's an 83' G30 Winnebago guadra-bog w/5k on rebuilt 350, thinking a late 90's 4L80e (w/the aft cooler line)and an aftermarket shift module. As it's a Camper and want to have fun, not broke on the side of the road, probably have a trans shop rebuild me a 4L80e .. but what's a good module and what Upgrades might I ask for on the trans I source. Thanks ahead of time..

Welcome Jonny.
We enjoy pics if ya get a chance.

We have a couple guys here running gear vendors-
As to the 4L80e vs TH400-it makes a world of difference to have the extra gearing.

If you go with the 4L80e- here is a vendor that has a good controller:

@Hummer H1 is running a 4l80e with an aftermarket controller- He might have input for you.

Thanks for that recommendation. I'm thinking of the cost and the benefits of the 4L80e ( reducing RPM 500 TO 1000, great shift pattern, anyone can rebuild) , seems trans shop can do a good rebuild around $2k $650 for that control you recommended.. Vs $3k for GV ( only reducing 400 RPM, every 3k change fluid, no lockup, not everybody wants to work on problems that may arise ), kinda talked myself into 4L80E my best solution to keep things simple {kiss}. would still like any recommendations as to upgrades i should request from the trans shop.
p.s. what stall might i look for, remember its an 83' RV w/350 ( not a 72' blown Nova)

1000008462.jpg
Thanks for that recommendation. I'm thinking of the cost and the benefits of the 4L80e ( reducing RPM 500 TO 1000, great shift pattern, anyone can rebuild) , seems trans shop can do a good rebuild around $2k $650 for that control you recommended.. Vs $3k for GV ( only reducing 400 RPM, every 3k change fluid, no lockup, not everybody wants to work on problems that may arise ), kinda talked myself into 4L80E my best solution to keep things simple {kiss}. would still like any recommendations as to upgrades i should request from the trans shop.
p.s. what stall might i look for, remember its an 83' RV w/350 ( not a 72' blown Nova)

Attachments

• 20240509_164116.jpg
    20240509_164116.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 4
Losing the 16.5" bias ply today for 16" radial E load Toyo's (again, in a pinch I can fix it wherever it happens to be)

I’m not good on what lockup range for the converter- that gets more into the conversation with the guy building your trans- I would say invest in a good triple disk for positive lock up.

You might hear about locking the converter and using engine brake - DONT DO IT unless you make best friends with the transmission rebuilder because it will hurn up the over run clutches. I feel like @WarWagon should be telling these details! Haha. He will have recommendations I bet.

Some hummer owners prefer to rebuild the transmission sooner than o use the diesel engine compression as engine brake because hummer brakes are not impressive.

If you will be loaded heavy traveling mountains- seriously invest in upgraded brakes. Remember when that thing was engineered the speed limit most places was 55mph and 45 for rv was ok.

For more fuel mileage my thoughts go towards what fuel system do you have and considering a small turbo.

Note what mpg you got with the th400 and what happens afterwards if you don’t mind sharing.

Pretty much any 94+ 4l80e will work. Keep in mind most 95+ use a shift cable to shift them, so you would probably want the earlier style shift shaft for a mechanical shift linkage. For an 83 350, I would use the dual stator torque converter like was used on 91-95 4l80e's that had TBI fuel injection. They're a little weaker compared to a single stator unit, but more than strong enough for a good 350. The dual stator converter slips better at idle to keep the load off the engine, but once they come up on the converter they multiply torque better. They were specifically designed to improve performance with a 200hp 350 TBI.

For controlling it, the optishift is a very good, easy to set-up, and use unit with 4 shift patterns. There are other cheaper options out there with only 1 shift pattern. And if you're a DIY type of person you can also use a cheap to source 0411(99-02 factory GM PCM) PCM to control it. Keep in mind you will need to add a TPS(throttle position sensor) to it regardless of which controller you use.

As to the trans, a TRANSGO HD2 shift kit at a minimum should be put in it. If you find a good builder they can internally dual feed the direct clutches which is the primary function of the HD2 shift kit. Make sure to use the 97+ high energy clutches regardless of which year trans you get. The 91-96 paper clutches are no where near as good.

Back