• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Paul if it's easy for you to pull the gauge, you can send it to me and I can measure it for you. I'm a Metrology Engineer by trade and would like to help. We do thermocouples and temp gauges all the time.

I did some small projects / house cleaning under the hood. Heat Wrapped the Exhaust Elbow. Added some EDI heat tape to hold the galvanized wires in place.
IMG_1710_zps2d9b2ec7.jpg

Hmmmmm, that's looks kinda "garrett-y"......:)

Only thing cast into the compressor housing is A/R 60 so, yeah, Garretty.:thumbsup:

Hmm, that wouldn't happen to be an item by a certain diesel guy that may be available for purchase in the near future would it?

If so, the "good stuff" is likely going on inside where we can't see it and the casings are essentially just that.......casings.

;)

Went for a ride in Paul's rig over the weekend and the only word that comes to mind is WOW. I cant believe the get up and go that rig has. Once that turbo lights its all smiles as you get set back in your seet for a hard pull to 100+. I was truly impressed by the way that truck moves. It blew me away. He just needs to dial back expectation management and fuel haha. Its a coal train until that turbo spins up

That was a fun quick run.
New tune arrives today but I'm out of town so I'll try it out on Friday with a new steering gear that should take out some of the excitement too.

I replaced the Steering Gear with a rebuilt unit from Rock Auto...never again. The "new one" has more slop than the old one and the steering wheel was canted 90* Newer Rebuilt unit from AC Delco going in while I'm away.

I'll set up the Go Pro to film from the rear window with GPS visible. I'll adjust the rear view mirror to show how much, if any, smoke is being generated.
I know altitude wise, the GPS' tends to lag and on MPH readings there's a bit of a lag too so I'll call the speeds, boost and EGTs or mount the camera to my helmet and you guys can just go along for a ride....

If you took a short ride over south of Denver Sunday I could ride with you. :D

Sent from my SCH-I535

Went for another ride in with the new tune. Much better. Not so much smoke off the go but still pulls like you wouldnt believe. This truck of Paul's is a runner. Working on the ladder bars for him as we speak. Need to get all that torque on the ground :driving:

Vid would be nice...

I will make sure that Paul or myself has camera in hand recording next run. This last trip was a quick one as he was headed out of town for business. We will get back together when he returns to start fitment of his ladder bars. Also, hopefully a little side by side run of his rig and mine for "reasons". My gearing and hx-35 seem to help me spool up and jump off the line but once his turbo lights I expect to be the object shrinking in his rear view mirror

Will do. His and my rig behave so different I'm really interested to see the outcome. Ill try to get a couple vids of my rig up here to start for comparisons when Paul posts some. Not trying to take over the thread I just havent had the time to compose my own build thread. Ill see if I can get some 0-60 times up as well as anything else requested.

Between the 2 of you those are among the best looking GMT400s anywhere.

Thank you its much appreciated. Its my first truck and I built it from the ground up. I have more money in to her it than I would like to admit but I did it all myself and I would do it again. Nothing quite like it.

Went for another ride in with the new tune. Much better. Not so much smoke off the go but still pulls like you wouldnt believe. This truck of Paul's is a runner. Working on the ladder bars for him as we speak. Need to get all that torque on the ground :driving:

Who did the new tune?

Back