• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

I had the chance to drive Paul's truck a few weeks back. It's a a strong runner for sure. Makes my '99 Suburban w/ ATT and Heath tune seem like a lazy dog.

I had the chance to drive Paul's truck a few weeks back. It's a a strong runner for sure. Makes my '99 Suburban w/ ATT and Heath tune seem like a lazy dog.

How do you like your ATT? I am thinking about trying one out next on my rig once I sort of the boost issue with my HX. Does your turbo light faster than Paul's?

How do you like your ATT? I am thinking about trying one out next on my rig once I sort of the boost issue with my HX. Does your turbo light faster than Paul's?

I like my ATT. It's all I've known on my '99 Suburban, as I bought it with it on there. We just installed an ATT on Colby's '94 Suburban and he loves it. Colby's has a noticeable "whirrrr" as opposed to a whistle, but that's probably due to the Heath Gen II cold air intake and the turbo breaking in.

Does my ATT light as fast as Paul's? No. That said, I think both Paul and I agree that the extra weight of the K2500 4wd Suburban (compared to his 1500) had the ATT lighting faster than it did in Paul's truck. Put another way, the extra load had the turbo working sooner because you needed more RPM to get the Suburban going.

Keep in mind, quick starts off the line are not at the top of my performance list for my Suburban. My primary interests are towing and doing so within a sustainable heat range for the engine. My experience with Stock set-up on a '95 Suburban was not good. It would routinely defuel and overheat while towing boats up grades here in CA. The cumulative result of a number of mods stopped that, the ATT and a tune provided the performance frosting on the package.

I don't think Paul's set-up pushing 22 psi boost would serve me well. Paul acknowledged he's had to address excessive EGTs with tuning. I'm trying to avoid heat at all cost and Paul's turbo would not serve me well in my Suburban and how I use it. Different strokes for different folks, but no doubt Paul's is a rocket.

I like my ATT. It's all I've known on my '99 Suburban, as I bought it with it on there. We just installed an ATT on Colby's '94 Suburban and he loves it. Colby's has a noticeable "whirrrr" as opposed to a whistle, but that's probably due to the Heath Gen II cold air intake and the turbo breaking in.

Does my ATT light as fast as Paul's? No. That said, I think both Paul and I agree that the extra weight of the K2500 4wd Suburban (compared to his 1500) had the ATT lighting faster than it did in Paul's truck. Put another way, the extra load had the turbo working sooner because you needed more RPM to get the Suburban going.

Keep in mind, quick starts off the line are not at the top of my performance list for my Suburban. My primary interests are towing and doing so within a sustainable heat range for the engine. My experience with Stock set-up on a '95 Suburban was not good. It would routinely defuel and overheat while towing boats up grades here in CA. The cumulative result of a number of mods stopped that, the ATT and a tune provided the performance frosting on the package.

I don't think Paul's set-up pushing 22 psi boost would serve me well. Paul acknowledged he's had to address excessive EGTs with tuning. I'm trying to avoid heat at all cost and Paul's turbo would not serve me well in my Suburban and how I use it. Different strokes for different folks, but no doubt Paul's is a rocket.

I'm interested to see what an ATT would do for me. I tow but not too much. The HX keeps the egt's really low and my driving boost pressure is right where I want it. I do like the quick spool of the HX but right now I seem to be having issues mid empty rang. I'm hoping once I turn the wastegate to 15 psi I will see that go away. I have heard good things about the ATT and I'm excited try one out, mainly for the low egt's and strong pull. I still want to give my HX a fair chance though.

I'm interested to see what an ATT would do for me. I tow but not too much. The HX keeps the egt's really low and my driving boost pressure is right where I want it. I do like the quick spool of the HX but right now I seem to be having issues mid empty rang. I'm hoping once I turn the wastegate to 15 psi I will see that go away. I have heard good things about the ATT and I'm excited try one out, mainly for the low egt's and strong pull. I still want to give my HX a fair chance though.

With the ATT you won't get that noise/groan that HX puts out.

Bill at Heath. Just changed some more settings for Paul in his ever growing need for speed haha.

I was able to get a couple of videos last night. It was raining and hard to keep traction but I managed a sloppy 0-60 and a quick click with the windows down for sound (until I was drenched. Sorry for the potato quality, all I had was my Iphone

Thanks for the compliments on our trucks all, it's been fun to do the comparisons and see the strengths in each other's rigs. Mine is a "20 footer" whereas he's done a great job with attention to detail everywhere. I do like the sound his makes too. Celebrate the differences... Very grateful SSForce is local so we can do these meets; very much appreciate his efforts on "Big Red" and looking forward to fitting and installing my own ladder bars. We'll have to get the Go Pro out and have my son chase us through the ground cloud or mount it on the trucks to get some fun angles.

SSFORCE, I'm finally back from the training exercise in Florida for SOCSOUTH and looking forward to a few days off (thanks Boss). Tool box transfer to new chest, left turn signal wire chase, Christmas light fuse chase and such are about all I have on the list. Looks like your 0-60 time is right at about 10 seconds. That's quick, quicker than I've reported to date.

ss source that thing sounds good and she really moves out despite the weather. :thumbsup:

I would love a ride in a Holset equipped 6.5. I have never seen or heard one. Around here most of the 6.5s are stock. I get stares from people at the gas stations and parking lots as neither of the 6.5 turbos we have sound stock.

Just installed an ATT on our 95GMC K2500 and so far I love it. Does not spool as quick as the GM turbo but boy does she run and she sounds good. With 4.10's in the rear she still moves with authority off the line and then when she hits about 2000rpms hang on!

Thanks for the compliments on our trucks all, it's been fun to do the comparisons and see the strengths in each other's rigs. Mine is a "20 footer" whereas he's done a great job with attention to detail everywhere. I do like the sound his makes too. Celebrate the differences... Very grateful SSForce is local so we can do these meets; very much appreciate his efforts on "Big Red" and looking forward to fitting and installing my own ladder bars. We'll have to get the Go Pro out and have my son chase us through the ground cloud or mount it on the trucks to get some fun angles.

SSFORCE, I'm finally back from the training exercise in Florida for SOCSOUTH and looking forward to a few days off (thanks Boss). Tool box transfer to new chest, left turn signal wire chase, Christmas light fuse chase and such are about all I have on the list. Looks like your 0-60 time is right at about 10 seconds. That's quick, quicker than I've reported to date.

Good to have you back in town, time to meet up and run our rigs. :hihi: I've done some more adjusting to the turbo to get boost up and will be fiddling with it more today and tomorrow to hopefully get the 15 PSI I want. If your looking for help or someone to drool over your new tool chest drop me a line.

Chevypoor, Do you have any clips with your ATT? I am interested to see what one would do on my truck. Any time your out my direction hit me up and ill throw you the keys. Im loving the hx more and more the longer I drive it. It seems to spool very quick. I think a big part of that is my gear change to 4.56 to help turn the 37's. It just rolls right off the line and spools soon after, seems to spool as quick as the old gmx did. I have all kinds of low end power now. that 0-60 clip was one of several I did and the only one that kept the tires firmly planted. Slightly wet ground and I cant keep the rear end behind me even with the locker pushing power to both rears.

SS Force
Chevypoor, Do you have any clips with your ATT? I am interested to see what one would do on my truck. Any time your out my direction hit me up and ill throw you the keys. Im loving the hx more and more the longer I drive it. It seems to spool very quick. I think a big part of that is my gear change to 4.56 to help turn the 37's. It just rolls right off the line and spools soon after, seems to spool as quick as the old gmx did. I have all kinds of low end power now. that 0-60 clip was one of several I did and the only one that kept the tires firmly planted. Slightly wet ground and I cant keep the rear end behind me even with the locker pushing power to both rears.

I was thinking about a video until she blew the lifters apart at 24psi but I guess that is on hold until she is back up and running.

I thought long and hard about the CKO40II but in the end decided to run the ATT. Thanks for the offer of taking her for a spin. If I am ever in Utah I will have too look you up!

Pretty impressive to be pushing the rear around with 37's... those are some big tires.

He's got quite the rig. Exhaust note is different from anything else I've heard and the truck feels like it launches rather than accelerates. Very responsive throttle. With a 3" body and 6" suspension lift, it's impressive being up that high.

I'm trying to find the link to the photo shoot he posted (for those who've missed shots of his truck). In the mean time, here's one I took last summer.
IMG_1786.jpg

I've got another one of both our trucks but the camera angle makes mine look like a Tonka Toy next to his. Still, my turned down 3" suspension lift and OEM tires makes it look much smaller next to his anyway...why make it worse.:hihi:

The great thing is, we both use the trucks as trucks and aren't worried about getting them dirty.

On Edit: Found the link to his photo shoot http://www.stephenwclark.com/p726278300

He's got quite the rig. Exhaust note is different from anything else I've heard and the truck feels like it launches rather than accelerates. Very responsive throttle. With a 3" body and 6" suspension lift, it's impressive being up that high.

I'm trying to find the link to the photo shoot he posted (for those who've missed shots of his truck). In the mean time, here's one I took last summer.
View attachment 39997

I've got another one of both our trucks but the camera angle makes mine look like a Tonka Toy next to his. Still, my turned down 3" suspension lift and OEM tires makes it look much smaller next to his anyway...why make it worse.:hihi:

The great thing is, we both use the trucks as trucks and aren't worried about getting them dirty.

On Edit: Found the link to his photo shoot http://www.stephenwclark.com/p726278300

That pic looks pre paint job. Wow I almost forgot she used to be black and red. A lot sure changes in a short time. Looking forward to meeting up with you again Paul and getting some videos. Dont short change your truck, she might not be at as tall but I have never felt a 6.5 move like yours does. as you put it "celebrate the differences". Its a riot and I look forward to putting our trucks through their paces.

No worries, I'm not discounting my truck at all, the thread's trend has become inclusive and that's a good thing.

When are you going to work on the boost adjustment today? Call or send a text. I'm up in Little Cottonwood through lunch but am taking a few days off this week so I could come up and see if any of your wrenches fit my hands as well as mine did yours during the install.

Back