• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.9 IDI no start

When you make it to "old-fart-hood", look around, I'll be the guy holding the welcome sign.

You'll be an old fart soon enough and you'll wonder where the time went...):h
Don't rush it!:nono::D

Oh believe me I do enjoy it. It just gives me a good laugh when you guys mention stuff from the 80's and "back in my day" kinda stuff. I'm 18 and the younger crowd here probably easily has twice my age on them.):h):h

Can't help but laugh):h):h:rolleyes5:

There are still many tractors and farm equipment that still to this day come with either injection for starting in cold weather. I have a unit that John Deere still makes and uses today in some applications.

There are still many tractors and farm equipment that still to this day come with either injection for starting in cold weather. I have a unit that John Deere still makes and uses today in some applications.

Can't really say "to this day", but my New Holland Project motor has ether injection for cold starts. Now granite that's an 86', but It still has it. Then there's the International with the DT466. That one has ether spray start.

Though both of those motors will fire with no ether down to quite cold weather and are usually running after only one revolution of the starter. Especially the New Holland. The DT466... eh... mexicans break things. That's all I gotta say.

Sorry, no it didn't. Funny you posted about this as my boss and I have been discussing the truck and engine recently. That thing has been sitting at the yard since it died and hasn't moved since(at least it aint in my driveway). Every now and then I would tinker with it. Replaced IP with known good unit, bled injectors and finally got white smoke out of it a couple months back. It would hit here or there occasionally, but no start. Not even the ether could keep it running and even I was starting to get a little jumpy with the smell of that shit in the air for as much as I was spraying in.

Seems like this thread has gotten alot of views since then so let me make this clear to ya'll. The same thing I kept telling my boss then stands true now, ETHER on a diesel engine equipped with either glow plugs or a grid heater is fatal to the engine. Now, instead of looking at $80 in glow plugs, he has to look into either another engine or an overhaul of the block, neither of which is cheap.

On a more entertaining note I have been looking around for a "second vehicle/work truck" lately. Something that I can use for not only work, but that I can drive around while Big Blue is down for yet another one of the my crazy ass projects. Then it got me thinking... I have a motor that needs a truck, and he has a truck that needs a motor... hmmmm. Maybe drop my motor in there and buy the truck off him. Trans just got overhauled, full brake job and body aint that bad. Plus its got a plow :D

The engine could have 'died' from glow plug failure before the ETHER can was thrown at it. If you get into owing this one I would suggest getting the glow plug system working properly. Glow plugs triggered at the wrong time (engine running, full glow timer, and engine at operating temp) also tend to let the injectors blow them in half. Fords may hole a piston, but, I know GM 6.2's will impact them and scratch the cylinders.

If I do end up owning it that 6.9IDI is coming out and my 6.6L Ford/New Holland will replace it. That engine doesn't have glow plugs or a grid heater. Has provisions for ether spray start(not to fond of that right now), just need a new can to pop in the sprayer. The wiring needs an overhaul as far as the engine bay goes. Too many people changing things, making splices, adding and removing things over time. The wiring is an abomination. That would all get sorted out during the swap.

I'm going to bring up my idea to the boss man tomorrow and see what he says. Would really do me alot of good to own a second vehicle that I can call my own.

Can glow plugs lighting during engine operation really do that? I would figure that with cylinder temps/pressures/volatile explosions that if a glow plug lit during engine operation it would be ripped apart.

Short time appears to be ok. But a full glow on unregulated plugs gets them really hot. Add the fuel spray and we felt them go through the engine as it tried to lock up. Threw us forward in the seats a couple times. (The plugs were all blown in half on removal.) 50K later we pulled a head and parts of the glow plugs were still there in the piston crowns. The failure was from a failed temp switch on the head letting the controller think the hot engine was cold.

Back