• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L swap from a 6.2L in a 1983 K5 Blazer

1999gmc

Reaction score
So my son has a 83 K5 with a 6.2L and a turbo on it. He can run his 6.2L injectors, lines and injection pump until he gets the Moose Jr. pump correct? From what I've researched the injector lines from the 2001 6.5L won't work with the mechanical Moose Jr. 6.5 pump. Is that correct?

Some confusion there in wording. Need to get straight what he has EXACTLY.
6.2 and 6.5 engine are same except cylinder bore size.

The injection pump difference is db2 all mechanical and the ds4 electronic. Injector lines do not interchange.

Then the injector length on some 6.2 vs other 6.2 and 6.5 can be slightly different, but the lines of those can interchange. Carefully tweek them to fit as not to kink. There was BS talk in places about injector lines having a coating on the inside- disregard, it is incorrect. Treat it as stainless steel brakeline.

From factory all 6.2 had mechanical db2 pumps. Some 6.5 had mechanical and some had electronic. 83 factory had 6.2 with mechanical db2.

Provided he has db2 now, YES a moose jr will bolt right on. However- over fueling a stock and tired old engine is a sure way to ensure a new engine within a year. I would question how the engine is built currently and what turbo before going to a moose junior. 90cc is a chunk of fuel- More than I would run on a stock engine- especially if it doesn’t have a turbo...

He doesn't want to spend the money on the moose pump right now. Can he put injection pump, 6.2 injectors and lines in the 2001 6.5 without any issues with the turbo precups in the 6.5 heads? And when he does do the moose pump, from what I've researched, he will need to buy injector lines for a 92-93 because it seems DS4 injector lines are different than 6.5 DB2 lines? Am I correct?

What exactly are you trying to do here? Drop a mechanical fuel injection system on a 2001 vehicle? Use a 2001 6.5 engine in a 1983 or use a 1983 in a 2001? Just drop a Moose on a 1983 with a ... please tell me you got a bigger and better turbo than a GM or Banks for the Moose Dreams. So the 1983 FI lines are not a concern with a mechanical Moose pump. What's the deal with 2001 again? I have a 1993 6.5TD with a 1990 6.2 engine, used to be a 1986 6.2, that has a moose pump on it. (It's literally sitting on the hood that's over the bed right now.) My 1995 used a DS4 and the new lines for DS4's that started in 1994 on up. But my 1993 I can't recall if I used the 1993 lines, oh wait, the timing adapter is still on it so it's 1992/1993 lines for sure as the 6.2's I have seen don't have that.

If he is putting the 01 6.5 into the 83, then later is planning on bumping up to descent turbo and bigger injection pump...

Yes now would be the time to correct interior issues of the 6.5 before install. Pop the heads, check for cracks, new seals etc. I would also do new bearings, and balance the lower assy. To address timing chain, water pump, balancer, etc. issues at that time makes sense if affordable. If the interior is all that can be afforded, then skip timing system forward until later, as balancing the internals is more crucial.

A huge mistake a lot of people make is to not determine the proper build and costs in the beginning. figure exactly what you want, figure cost of total project and decide if it is all worth it or only partial. Knowing the block and head condition is a very important thing to begin with. I have seen many people buy loads of parts to learn five minutes too late their block was crap.

When doing a swap, take your time and build it right the first time. Get it all done at once if at all possible, that way once it is together you can get the long life without all the repairs and issues.

Sounds to Me like he is installing the 01 6.5 enjun into the 83.
Correct!!!!! All I was wondering was if he runs the 6.2 injection system temporarily will it cause any issues with the heads having turbo precups. And it looks like when he goes to the moose pump and 6.5 turbo injectors he will need a injector line set off a 92-93 because 94 and newer lines don't fit the DB2 injection pump? Or can he run the 6.2 line set with the moose pump and 6.5 injectors?

Just finished up the swap today. My son started pulling the 6.2 Thurs and we finally finished it up today. He ended up buying new 93 Injector lines, a 4911 pump from Pensacola diesel, oil cooler setup from Leroy diesel, polyurethane engine mounts, and a few other things. We did have to make a throttle linkage bracket because the dual thermostats hit stock linkage. Used everything from the 2001 6.5 except for the flex plate. Runs great. So smooth and and definitely more power than the 6.2 W/turbo. So glad to get rid of v belts. Next is to retrofit the HVAC from GMT400 body style to make his A/C work

Attachments

• IMG_33231.jpg
    IMG_33231.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_33281.jpg
    IMG_33281.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 13
Nice! Did you remember the restrictor fitting between the thermostat housing and the waterpump?

Close up pics of how you did the throttle bracket? Love to see how everyone beats that. The more options the better.

Nice! Did you remember the restrictor fitting between the thermostat housing and the waterpump?

Close up pics of how you did the throttle bracket? Love to see how everyone beats that. The more options the better.

Thanks. No. No restrictor fitting. Just ran it the way it came. I'll get some pics tomorrow of the throttle bracket. I didn't take any pics. and he only took the 2 I posted. He's pretty excited about doing all this and he comes home tonight all amped up about how much smoother and better the Blazer runs and drives and my wife says "oh boy, that's you 25 years ago when I met you".

Ok thanks, be watching for the pics.

On the restrictor fitting, remember the original design had one, and the fitting mfr supplying AC Delco went under and that is why the original design stopped was over lawsuit concearn. Bunches of folks that seen the difference themselves by adding it. Leroy makes the wazoo version, or diy one. If diy, you want 1/2” thick material and 3/8” hole. It should be mounted in the waterpump not the thermostat housing.

Hope he is enjoying the ride!

Back