• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5l injection timing

Trucker2k16

Reaction score
Hello everyone i just need some input i cant seem to find or get answeres for. Maybe noone knows? Or what im about to say is right who knows. Anyway i have a 6.5l optimizer that i installed i have no smoke only very very little at startup that last maybe 2 seconds my matco maximus 2.0 says my actual injection timing is 12 doesthat sound right? I see people set them at 10.9-11? Was also told from a diesel shop that 10-15 is ok? I have no issues with it starting cold or warm i barely hit the key and it starts. Can you guys please give me some input on this thanks.

Ok so your OBD2. You don't need to worry about the actual and desired timing. You just need to set TDCO. Factory is -.35 to -.75. do you have a scanner that will let you do that?

I've never used either of those so I'm not much help as far as the programs go. But basically get the engine up to temp and then command a learn. The scanner will give you a new to TDCO based on where the pump is. It'll actually give you several different ones kind of a range so to speak. Every time you command a learn the TDCO will change in that range. If none are what you want then you move the pump to get to new numbers.
The larger the negative number the more advanced it is. The lower the more retarded it is, it will actually read positive numbers if it's retarded enough.
Only move the pump a mm or two, towards the drivers side is more advance passenger side is more retarded.

I've never used either of those so I'm not much help as far as the programs go. But basically get the engine up to temp and then command a learn. The scanner will give you a new to TDCO based on where the pump is. It'll actually give you several different ones kind of a range so to speak. Every time you command a learn the TDCO will change in that range. If none are what you want then you move the pump to get to new numbers.
The larger the negative number the more advanced it is. The lower the more retarded it is, it will actually read positive numbers if it's retarded enough.
Only move the pump a mm or two, towards the drivers side is more advance passenger side is more retarded.
Im not sure where my tdco is i know i put the injection pump in the same excat location as tge old one ill get it warmed up greater than 170 degrees and check it idk if ill be able to send commands but ill try if not could i use the koko way by warming it up and shutting off holding pedal wot for 45 seconds?

> Starting from Key 'Off' and engine cold (169F and cooler), simultaneously floor the fuel pedal (APP 100%) and turn the key to 'Run' but *DO NOT* attempt to start. Hold this for 60 seconds.
> At the end of 60 seconds simultaneously release the fuel pedal (APP 0%) and turn the Key to 'Off'. Wait for 30 seconds.
> At the end of 30 seconds, start and drive normally.
> When the coolant (ECT) reaches 170F the ECM will trigger a re-learn of the IP's physical mounting position and the motor might 'blib' / stumble very briefly (or you might not notice anything at all). If the motor grumbles, grouses, and belches for a while, this is an indicator that the IP is not healthy. If the Check Engine light turns 'On', this is an indicator that the IP needs physical adjustment (depending on the code) to bring it back to a normal range.

courtesy of Jay

> Starting from Key 'Off' and engine cold (169F and cooler), simultaneously floor the fuel pedal (APP 100%) and turn the key to 'Run' but *DO NOT* attempt to start. Hold this for 60 seconds.
> At the end of 60 seconds simultaneously release the fuel pedal (APP 0%) and turn the Key to 'Off'. Wait for 30 seconds.
> At the end of 30 seconds, start and drive normally.
> When the coolant (ECT) reaches 170F the ECM will trigger a re-learn of the IP's physical mounting position and the motor might 'blib' / stumble very briefly (or you might not notice anything at all). If the motor grumbles, grouses, and belches for a while, this is an indicator that the IP is not healthy. If the Check Engine light turns 'On', this is an indicator that the IP needs physical adjustment (depending on the code) to bring it back to a normal range.

courtesy of Jay
If i need to adjust the tdco can i do so buy just turning the pump? I seen alot saying theres is at 10.9 on actual injection timing?

Here is what i have

Also i have 1 headstud leaking only when running on the outside can i pull just that one and seal it yes im sure no others are leaking i pulled valve covers and checked and yes i forgot the seal the one leaking

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-25-15-19-07.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-25-15-19-07.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 6
Back