• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 starter issues

Rogerhsr

Reaction score
1984 c30 6.5 turbo diesel swap it has new starter installed engine turns over by hand 2 new batteries installed it’s turning over very very slow I swapped starter again and same result slow starter all grounds are good the only thing I haven’t checked if the engine block is clean between starter any advice would be greatly appreciated

Try checking voltage at the starter while cranking . I have a 91 Suburban 350 that eventually stopped cranking . Voltage was good at the battery end and on the starter but went to nothing when cranking . Replaced the cable , had battery voltage while cranking and started .

Update I have a bottom end issue I turned engine over by hand and it hit a tight spot and I turned it past it and after a few turns it completely locked down so now I have to remove oil pan to see what’s going on the crankshaft won’t move at all now

Other things can lock up an engine aside of first flat out assuming it's the engine itself.

Fan belt comes off.

Drop starter again in case it hung in and failed in some "Truth Stranger than Fiction" because "Fiction has to be plausible. The Truth does not."

Pull the IP in case it locked up from sitting.

Maybe left rust in the crankshaft that's plowing the TC into the trans... MT left in gear or clutch problem?

Wrong starter for trans because rebuilders don't know and expressly don't care...

I would check the timing set as well.

New standard bearings? What did the old "Select fit" bearings have marked on them?

I think you may be on the right track with popping in a set of 'Standard' bearing shells instead of select fitting them. Something that an engine rebuild shop with no experience with 6.5's wouldn't necessarily know about. Quite possible one or more bearing sets are too tight to the point of seizing once they wiped out any oil/assembly lube.

Ok now I have a starter issue I have a remanufacted starter from auto zone I have a new flywheel it’s the 6.2 manual setup everytime I engage starter it’s very noisy and the bendix hangs on ring gear I’ve tried shims and nothing seems to be working oh and I have to move the crank to get the bendix to release

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! Buy electrical parts of ANY kind from AutoZone!!! They are CRAP! New out of the box parts fail. "Remanufactured" parts are Chinese junk! There is 1000% agreement from the members on here about that! Return it for a refund (not an exchange). I assume it's been too long ago to get your original core back and take it to a reputable local automotive electrical shop to be properly rebuilt, so the next best thing is to either get an AC Delco unit from @RockAutoLLC (a vendor on here, use the 5% discount code) or to buy a brand new PowerMaster unit, which is far superior in design and torque to the OEM unit.

So do NOT replace it with another Auto Zone piece of crap, whatever you do. Your described symptoms are of a shot Bendix drive. I listed your options above. Oh, BTW, NAPA is NO better than any of the others for reman starters, either. There are plenty of people on here that have had problems with their remans as well.

Back