• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 starter issues

You also need to state that kind of stuff (it came with my used motor, etc) when posting to avoid confusion when we try to answer questions/diagnose problems. It makes it much easier for all involved.

1997 6.5 Td into a 1984 gmc 1 ton dually was originally a 6.2 diesel transmission is original manual and I installed new flywheel and clutch for the 1984 it’s gotta be starter issue everything else is brand new

I'm not a manual transmission/flywheel expert, but IIRC, the flywheels are different between the 6.2 and 6.5 and therein may lie your problem with the 97 6.5 starter. It sounds like a depth issue, that the ring gear is too close to the block so when the bendix extends, it can't retract far enough to disengage from the ring gear, and it is more than an issue of a couple of shims. I believe @WarWagon may have expertise in that area. All of my 6.2 (dating back to my Army days as a Maintenance Officer when they began phasing in the CUCV family of vehicles to replace the old M151 1/4T and the old Dodge 1T pickups) up through my two 6.5's I own have been with automatics only. @THEFERMANATOR may be able to shed some light on the subject, too.

@GM Guy also has several manual transmission vehicles in his fleet (which I believe are all 6.5's) and may be able to shed some light on the issue.

I'd definitely be checking flywheel part numbers for a 97 and a 84, I am curious if the crank face to bellhousing mounting face measurements differ, and you might need a different flywheel.

Definitely check, because I never have. I am just curious if there was a change between the 1 piece and 2 piece seal crankshafts.

Count the teeth on the flywheel! All GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesels use a "special" 139 tooth flywheel or flexplate. So mark a tooth with a paint marker and count... You bet parts stores F that up often. Ask for a 6.5 flywheel if the 6.2 parts are wrong gas engine stuff or better yet get a South Bend Clutch flywheel from any reputable mail order or direct from them.

Gas engines are 163 tooth count. I bet this is what you have... :facepalm:

GM had a different starter for manual transmissions. It has to do with the nose cone being different. However they make a "fits all" starter.

Autozone, well, a bunch of cowards with an enforced "No Hero policy" ... And Krap parts too.

An AutoZone employee and Air Force veteran, Devin McClean, who daringly thwarted an armed robbery at his Virginia store by using his own handgun at the scene has been fired for breaking company protocol

1997 6.5 Td into a 1984 gmc 1 ton dually was originally a 6.2 diesel transmission is original manual and I installed new flywheel and clutch for the 1984 it’s gotta be starter issue everything else is brand new

I really HATE doing a job over because some low bidder didn't bother to even do their job.

New parts don't mean "good parts" as WE are the quality control. Further new parts don't mean the correct parts either. You have to start troubleshooting over and, sadly, the new parts don't get a free pass. In fact they should be suspect to be for a gas engine, wrong, wrong part in their computer listing, DOA, defective, out of spec, NLA, not available at that store, etc. first.

It's one of the main PIA you will find with oddball slightly rare antique engines like these. You have to compare parts to the old ones and then there is hidden screw ups like the wrong spring tension used in a serp belt tensioner from Autokrapzone. The knock off company ASSUMED the driver side compressor tension was correct for the older passenger side compressor design. The passenger side compressor load would move the weak spring and unload the belt till it screamed while slipping and NO AC... GM Dealer had one and fixed the problem.

Some reman parts last 30 min and dust the entire system like PS pumps...

The last time I went to get engine mounts for a 1992 6.5TD: NLA from GM the only ones that would bolt up were Autokrapzone's. Not CarQuest, Napa, O'Reilly... Save the engine mount shells and use the Poly Energy Suspension inserts.

I recall reading the 6.2 uses wider v-belts that are no longer available? :bookworm:

Last edited:
FWIW: the 6.2 and 6.5 starters are cast with "no shim" on them. You should not need to use shims on the starter. If you are there is a bigger problem.

That’s all I asked...... advice on where i needed to look for the problem I have 27 years experience automotive mechanic I have never done this 6.5 swap and unfortunately nobody told me these things lol

So 6.2's had a couple starter part numbers with auto and manual trans designations. I belive 6.5's were one part number. 6.5's were also gear reduction starters. By chance are you using a 6.2 Direct Drive starter? I belive Direct Drive starters are changed to gear reduction without problems on automatics. MT's are different and I do not know why. We are also dealing with a couple different MT's and bellhousings with 1997 vs 198X.

It's possible the 1997 engine, 1997 flywheel, and 1984 trans and bellhousing all collide to require the newer 1997 6.5 gear reduction starter?

Back