• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 single tstat crossover

I was not aware there was one for 1996 that was different. Do you have pictures of them? I know the 6.2 used 1 high flow thermostat without blocking the bypass...

I will try to describe the one I need. The thermostat is directly above the bypass and points vertically. The outlet bolts on and points forward, slightly to the left (drivers side). I think th gm part number is 23500374

After researching and looking at the dual thermostat setups, either the single or dual setups would work...
I know the dual setups are commonly available as well.

i have a single from a Hummer i believe but think it's for a 6.2.
see if this could work.

couple of different housings also:

Yea, thats the same one I have on mine now. The single I am looking for was on the mechanical injected 6.5's from 1992-1995. It used the high flow thermostat with the block off for the bypass. The thermostat itself points vertically directly above the bypass hose. The one I have is awfully close to the fan (duramax fan) and york 210 onboard air... once the system is pressurized, the fan is 1/4" from the hose and the pulley is about 3/16" away... Way to close for comfort...

Its complicated. I have a 96+ alternator/vacuum pump bracket on the passenger side and a pre-96 alternator/power steering bracket on the drivers side. I was going to run 2 alternators and use one as an onboard welder, but have decided to mount a york 210 converted to onboard air instead. I just have a bypass pulley in the york's place at the moment.

Could the dual thermostat setups be used on the DB2 6.5's? I hear its a pita to get to fit...

Leroy has a dual stat on his and a db2. He flipped the stat housing upside down to clear it. He posted pics of it here somewhere in the last year iirc.

I'm waiting to run across the same housing as you, but because of the van intake and db2, I cant fit the dual even flipping it by the looks of it.

I think some fab work is in my future for a crossover.

Hmmm flipped it upside down... I wonder how that could be done...
I tried finding the post about it but no luck...

Last edited:
Ok, its just reversed to flow out towards the passenger side. After looking at a few of the other pics, I dont have the high idle solenoid and my throttle cable bracket looks different than the one in those pics... Seems like an easy enough swap. Just need to find one for a reasonable price.
Are there any pics of the inside of the dual stats? Cant you use the bypass blocking high flow from the single, in the bypass and a regular in the other stat location?

I seem to have found some pics showing the inside of the dual stat crossover and its just open all the time... Might as well just keep what I have in there now... Back to needing just the single... GM part 23500374

I (and my nephew) would love to see a write up on your truck btw.

1974 j10 with 360 in my garage right now. His dad "rebuilt" the engine. Ok. He rebuilt it, but we pulled #5 maincap to see why new rear main seal leaks. Found main bearing wiped out. No crank damage but now to tear apart a rebuild with under 500 miles on it. I think that justifies the sarcastic quotes.

I had just posted a craigslist turboed 6.2, now wishing it wasn't already sold...

I'll be making th junkyard checks for the crossovers this weekend. Its been 3 months since checking. Dang purple polka dotted unicorn of a part.

I went back and reread your post when you moved out to Washington. Seemed to me you did ok on heat, the one bg loaded hill was the worst, so are you seeing higher temp now?

Last edited:
When driving around, it stays between 175-185... 175 in the morning and 180-185 in the evening but temps are between 45 and 60 right now... it's more for hose routing than anything... with the stock 6.2/military crossover, the upper hose is exceptionally close to the belt and fan...

Any pics? Maybe seeing it will help with suggestions.
Can you time the housing differently? Or different housing with same crossover?

I'll get some pics up tonight... photobucket and mobile os's don't mix...

Here is the swap thread of my 6.5... it started as NA but its turbo'ed now.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=179517&page=2

I didn't do writeups on the nv4500/np205 swap, or my axle swaps... moved the rear springs under the frame using 63" Chevy springs on a Chevy 14b regeared to 4.56's and 2001-2010 2500hd brakes... front axle was SOA and swapped drivers drop high pinion center in...hydroboost was swapped in after my double diaphragm vacuum booster went bad as well... it's a lot
Of little things over the course of 15 years...

Last edited:
Back