• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 single tstat crossover

The dual stat would be cake to swap in except the throttle bracket... I wouldn't have to make a new one... no cruise or anything, just the pedal cable... but I heard the single with bypass block is best...

The single with block off is good for the waterpump with spin on style fanclutch to force all coolant through the radiator instead of some back through the block.

Since you are running the other style water pump, idk if it would help Or hurt you with cooling, but i see the angle you are fighting.

In Hummers and gmt400 trucks, the radiator can not keep up with the engine. J10 has much better airflow, and I suspect that wazoo radiator upgrage you made to your Jeep is helping it shed the heat. I saw the crossover you are using, yes that is tight to that fan. No real answer for you on that other than cutting the tip and welding a new angle.

The good news for you long term in cooling is, if you need to cool better, the updated waterpump will help.

Actually, it does have the 130gpm water pump. When I ordered it, I had the option for the single, vs dual thermostat versions and I ordered the one for the dual stats.

You can see how the bypass blocking single or dual stats would give me a lot better clearance between the belt and fan... I would just prefer the bypass blocking single over the duals... Why would you want to pump hot coolant back into your motor?

Oh and I am wanting to install the AC compressor bracket instead of dual alternators... I want my york OBA back on!!! And I would need to change the crossover to do that!

Towards the radiator, its good, but not super... When it was 95-100 outside, it would run between 200-205, sometimes 210 empty going home from work in Albuquerque... 2500ft elevation climb over 15-20 miles... Boost would stay between 8-10 psi and egt's are 850-900 for those 20 miles and engine temp would stabilize around 205... Granted I do not have a fan shroud and they help A LOT! I need to make one.......
Here In the Everett area, boost is about 4 psi cruising and egt's are about 450-500... so temp stays between 175-185 depending on ambient temps...
Here are some close up pics...
IMG_1229_zpso8oigjb4.jpg

IMG_1230_zpslm2bbtz9.jpg

IMG_1231_zpsgbtmfbsf.jpg

Last edited:
Single tstat with bypass blocker is what you want. I ran the dual and flipped the neck to clear the throttle linkage, but then in order to route the upper hose I had to re-plumb the intake from turbo.
I have at the machine shop right now a stainless steel nipple for the water pump for guys with a dual set up. It will have a much reduced orifice so only a very small amount of water go's back to the engine. Will be on my web site within a month I hope.
I have the rare 96 single that Im going to put on mine someday (got it from AK iirc).

Leroy, (or anybody else that has one) iirc the part number is cast into the crossover. Can you look at it and post the number when you get a chance? Maybe a pic of it?

@Ba_051 people break off a mounting ear sometimes, if you find one like that at a junkyard dont pass it up. I have welded a few back together with a tig. If I find one btw, I'll contact you for it since you are ready to do it now and mine is just going on the shelf with the other parts until I tear through everything on mine and I am jumping in on your thread. I dont want you to think I'm trying to jump in line on you, haha.

No worries Will. Does the rare '96 rear facing single tstat also block off the bypass? Never looked into that one...

Oh and the part number for the single early 6.5 crossover is 23500374... I have it memorized from looking for it for so long lol

Well I hit up the lynnwood pick n pull and sure enough, the 6.5 they had still had the single crossover, in perfect shape. Thanks all for the info you gave on the previous posts!

Oh and WIll, I checked the other 6.5 they had there from a 1995 but it was already gutted to the block/heads...

Awesome you found one. Everybody outht to know to keep an eye open for them, as they can make a few bucks reselling them.

Bumpity bump bump. If anyone has one laying around and needs some Christmas cash... let me know. I am still looking. In fact I think I know another someone looking so 2 ould probably sell easily.

Back