• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Oil Sending Unit Replacement?

IIRC it was TurbinDoc who used a short section of brass tubing and two brass 90* elbows to move the OPS back an inch or so and up a bit after relocating his Fuel Filter Manager to the fender.

Pictures from his thread back in the DP Days.

OPS Relocation 2-Turbine Doc.jpg

OPS Relocation 1-Turbine Doc.jpg

No issues with grounding either.

I made an extension hose myself before knowing about Leroy's. Didn't know about the ground and fought it for a while. Now it's a hack job wire attached via hose clamp and an occasional loss of ground, ugg! Yes you need to ground it. Save yourself the headache and get one from Leroy.

I ran into the same problem on my 97. I first tried using a rasp on the intake but couldn't remove enough material to make room. I finally had to cut the socket to make it fit. It was not a fun job but needed to get it done.OPS socket mod.jpg

basin wrench works too but its a bit of a pain as the head kept rotating when I changed mine out. Didn't have a set of Crow's feet then...do now. Very handy.

I agree-the wrench needs cutting to be functional (costly)it seems. Did a 1" or 11/8 crows work for you? It's been a while since we had any contact, I hope all is well.
Michael
basin wrench works too but its a bit of a pain as the head kept rotating when I changed mine out. Didn't have a set of Crow's feet then...do now. Very handy.

Thanks, I'm doing well. Sorting out an electrical gremlin with the truck but otherwise all's good. Did an engine swap to a 6.2 block (660) and 6.5 heads. Works very well and the truck scoots down the road pretty good.

OPS and turbo oil feed use the same port on the block via a brass "T" set up.
IMG_1746.jpg
Inspiration came from what Turbine Doc did, that and necessity.
With the FFM deleted it will make getting at the OPS easier when it goes south.

I'm assuming the pic is your new 6.2 block, if so what did you do with the 6.2 Vac can? Is that a 6.5 oil driver that replaced it?
Michael
Thanks, I'm doing well. Sorting out an electrical gremlin with the truck, but otherwise all's good. Did an engine swap to a 6.2 block (660) and 6.5 heads. Works very well and the truck scoots down the road pretty good.

View attachment 41911

Whats the electrical issue?
Michael
Thanks, I'm doing well. Sorting out an electrical gremlin with the truck but otherwise all's good. Did an engine swap to a 6.2 block (660) and 6.5 heads. Works very well and the truck scoots down the road pretty good.

View attachment 41911

Electrical issue is a new ECM arguing with the Coolant Temp Sensor in the T-Stat manifold. My other ECM works fine but this one is playing weirdo on me... that and my aftermarket ISSPRO gauges seem to be in a state of rebellion with a couple reading questionably. Oil Pressure is 20lbs less than Dash Gauge readings...fuel pressure needle dances between 9 and 12 psi when the pump has been turned down to 8psi...petty annoyances really.

Not familiar with the VAC Can on the 6.2s. The blocks I've seen all look like this one. Guess I've more learning to do...great!

With all that's happening, there's a good possibility it may be the ECM, too much negative conflictual activity in to many places. Hopefully the ECM you purchased off the 97 3500 I recently bought will resolve this.
Electrical issue is a new ECM arguing with the Coolant Temp Sensor in the T-Stat manifold. My other ECM works fine but this one is playing weirdo on me... that and my aftermarket ISSPRO gauges seem to be in a state of rebellion with a couple reading questionably. Oil Pressure is 20lbs less than Dash Gauge readings...fuel pressure needle dances between 9 and 12 psi when the pump has been turned down to 8psi...petty annoyances really.

Not familiar with the VAC Can on the 6.2s. The blocks I've seen all look like this one. Guess I've more learning to do...great!

What model year is your 6.2 block (660)? The 6.2 Block and 6.5 heads are a smart setup. The 82-89 - most 6.2's ran the vacuum system off the oil drive using a canister similar to the serpentine vacuum pump can. I've had a couple 1990's that had the start up version Serpentene belt drive that developed into the Serpentien drive was introduced on the 92-92 6.5's, which changed in 96 like yours.
The original Red Block 6.2 engine is said to be the best block ever-it's design was changed with mid 93. I have a customer in S.Africa or Nambia, whom is a master machinist and loves Chevy 6.2's and Ford trucks. He blueprinted his 82 Red Block and is running a Super Charger that pushes the 6.2 at 310 hp and with above average torque, it's in a Ford F 250 4x4. He's always into something that's interesting. I put a few pics below.
Michael

DSCN3152.jpg167.JPG1983_6.2l_diesel_01.jpgIMG_2259.jpg

Back