• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Oil Sending Unit Replacement?

chestatee

ChevyCummins
Reaction score
The 97 OSU is located under the intake at rear as many may know. It has a slight angle that is preventing me from getting the special socket on, which I always used for earlier models. Is there a new removal tool for this setup or do you have to remove the intake?
Thanks

Is there something on the intake making you "angle" in to it, or are you saying your ops is at an angle?

I could be wrong, but iirc it should be vertical. has it been damaged maybe-bent at the threads? If so its trashed anyways and I would try bending it back. Can you put up a picture?

If you just want to replace it, I would butcher/break the plastic portion and it will be easier to take out.

Then you can buy what Leroy has to install a new one back.

I haven't made it back to the shop, but the 97 has a fpt tapped near the bottom of the block valley to the left of fuel manager at near the same angle as the valley. The opu goes directly in with no brass fitting like earlier models that were behind the head with a brass fitting to mount opu. I assume GM engineers thought this was an improvement vs early model 6.5"s location, but at this point it's suspect.
Thanks, will get back with a fix and pic

Aw shoot! Didn't realize you had the van engine, I assumed (something for me to remember about that word) you had a truck engine.

Definately get an extension hose on that for next time.

Back