• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 In A Ranger

I do miss my ranger sometimes. I had an 04 with the 4.0l in the fx4. It was a great little truck. Did great in the snow and ice with weight in the back. Take that truck and put the 6.5 in it... hmmm....

That would be cool, but this guy doesn't seem to interested in learning about/ improving the 6.5. There is a guy here in Oklahoma that converted his lifted SAS S10 to a 6.5 and is now finishing up with a Durmax swap in the truck.

That would be cool, but this guy doesn't seem to interested in learning about/ improving the 6.5. There is a guy here in Oklahoma that converted his lifted SAS S10 to a 6.5 and is now finishing up with a Durmax swap in the truck.

Hes waiting for an Optimizer or a GEP..

You sir, are my hero. :icon_thumby: Nice way to go about a different kind of swap.

Do you have any plans of throwing a turbo in in the future?

oh, turbo for sure...just have not run across the right deal yet. and i got sick of wondering about it and dropped the bastard in there to see what it was like.

its fine like it is so i am saving for its replacement. likely a new gep unit. possibly just an optimizer but i plan on the new two piece unit. its a friggen animal...easily handle 500 hp...:D....something this 599 block will never do. and i for one am not looking for 500 hp...but low tune with the latest gep engine should be like 220 at the wheels and 430 or so tq and that is more then enough for me.

i need to get where i can wheel it in some real hills and resistance once i have at least one locker, but so far low speed is excellent and i am very happy with it. i never expected to be this happy really with it in its stock form:icon_rofl:...

but it is an old engine, i just hope i can squeeze another 40 k out of it or so...blew a steering line today:shok:.....man that was a mess, definatly glad i didt hook the hydroboost up right off the bat when doing intitial drives last fall....

now i need to adjust the ride height and spring rates again and fix some frame neglect... which is stuff i dont like doing:D

probably clean it up in the spring and start working on a better flat bed setup then the one i started twicenow thats cut up into nothing again:icon_rofl:

so many ideas..so little resources:icon_cheers:

Yeah but still, the 599 can make the same power as a GEP and he could get it set up then swap out the engines IF/WHEN the 599 block goes south.

I'm definately not saying the swap isn't cool though. But I personally would have went with a N/A 6.9 or 7.3 with an aftermarket tubo. I don't like to mix and match brands that often.

Agreed, but technically 6.9/ 7.3 is International not Ford, same with Dodge and Cummins, and GM with the Detroit 6.2/ 5..

The 6.5 was made by chevrolet. Detroit diesel was a division of general motors untill it was sold off in 92 aprox.

they did own it then in early 2000's they sold it to am general. all detroit did, im pretty sure is help design the first 6.2 and thats it.

they did own it then in early 2000's they sold it to am general. all detroit did, im pretty sure is help design the first 6.2 and thats it.

Detriot diesel was a division of GM untill it was sold to chrysler. Then it was sold to a german co.
Detroit diesel built the 6.2s. When detroit diesel was sold off chevy switched them to 6.5s. The rights to the 6.5 were sold to American General around 2000-2001

Interesting.

But by the looks of the rattletrap (IE: rusted piece of crap) he swaped that NA 6.5 into, I wouldn't waste my money on dropping a $10,000 P400 or $6,000 optimizer in it.

Now, swap the body out over that SAS and it'd be a different story.....

That was my thoughts, Reminded me of this...

91 - 94 Ford Explorer
P400 swap/
center mount ATT/ DS4 swap
NV4500 with ranger torque splitter
205 Tcase
2" dropped engine cross member
villian motor sports D44 TTB convertion brackets
full width D44/ chrome molly shafts
corp 10 bolt 8 lug outers
FF 10.5" 14 bolt/ rear disk conversion
Early Bronco coils
63" 3/4 ton Suburban rear springs
bell tech drop shackles (they drop a chevy, lift a Ranger)
325/75/16 Mud Terrains
4.10 gears
double beadlocked wheels
hydro assist brake conversion
6" fiberglass flared fenders

there is more, but thats a start

well.....what a surprise...looking for some parts and tripped into this old cobweb in the dark.....damn...a decade has past too

if any of you still exist...know this....that old rattle trap is still getting it done....and still breaking np 208 t cases as well.....and radiators...and transmissions...and axles...and...and and. and still a rattle trap pos.

28 years and over a million three hundred k miles of road has passed under my ass in this thing...

and it is still going...and my main transportation...
likely for years to come....well...at least till i get myself a new bronco.

lil bob last year....only video i have ever seen of it with the diesel....

Way Cool. Hope ya share some pics and stuff here. We like all things 6.5 and yours is great!
I never saw this thread, glad you came across it.

I noticed early on you damaged the harmonic balancer and had to swap it out. As soon as I saw that- I went “He doesn’t know how lucky he is to have done that”. Several poets later aguy named Will on your thread asked how did it last so long by then without snapping crank- Thats how. Sad about the shop rag killing the 6.5 But it happens.

PLEASE POST US SOME PICTURES. I couldn’t find any in your TRS thread.
My Dad had an 86 ranger- man that thing did great off road. Nice truck to drive. But yours hits the fun button really hard!

I would also like to know how your cooling system is set up and what you did with your injectors and more info on the fuel mixing you did. I’ve played with them a bit and enjoy hearing what else works.

That thing is awesome!! I really want to stuff a 6.5 in a 2wd s10 myself.

Ford made a v6 4.5l diesel that was basically a 6.0 with two less cylinders. Put it in their lcf cab overs. I thought it would be a cool swap for a ranger.

i am not real good with pictures or brain phones.. i have a brain phone at a repair facility with another old drive i may be able to harvest pictures from when i get back to detroit, i am preparing to leave for work right directly.......

..trs is pretty much my home on the web along with irate 4x4...formerly pbb and i dont get on any of the boards much.

i dont have facebullshit or the tweeters either...

thats how i ended up back in here...my old login from 2009 worked thankfully....

was not being able to contact the face page for a vendor here....twisted steel performance....

judging by what they are doing i may not need to do a duramax next... they got some cool stuff.

the diesel place has...or may have some pictures worth sharing...especially when it comes to injector mods for blends...we had a gigantasaurus rex thread over there at one point. see what kind of time i can scratch up....

lil bob 2015

attachment.php

lil bob from previous posted video event

fetch

Back