• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 grounds

"Tis the season" for grounds that is, with onset of cold weather, and glows putting bigger draws on batteries, and batteries needing effective charging, and "dirty grounds" working to defeat tron flows I thought I'd bump this back to the top.

forgot to bolt down one ground today before starting truck up. lift pump would not run, all the lights in the dash were illumintaed, all outside lights were on. wierd things do happen when the grounds are dirty or not connected

I too am working on my grounds as the truck started acting up a couple days ago when it got down to about 10 degrees outside. So far I have cleaned the battery grounds and the ones on the passenger rear head/intake and the dash/glow lights are slow to come on when you turn the key on. Sometimes you can see them real dim for about 3 or 4 seconds and then they will pop on. I guess tomorrow I am going to pull the passenger inner fender well and get the ones that are on the firewall and frame. By looking at the chart I was hoping that when I did the one designated G104 that it would be fixed but it wasn't, of course so far I have only done one end of that one so maybe tomorrow when I do the other end that will take care of it.

I too am working on my grounds as the truck started acting up a couple days ago when it got down to about 10 degrees outside. So far I have cleaned the battery grounds and the ones on the passenger rear head/intake and the dash/glow lights are slow to come on when you turn the key on. Sometimes you can see them real dim for about 3 or 4 seconds and then they will pop on. I guess tomorrow I am going to pull the passenger inner fender well and get the ones that are on the firewall and frame. By looking at the chart I was hoping that when I did the one designated G104 that it would be fixed but it wasn't, of course so far I have only done one end of that one so maybe tomorrow when I do the other end that will take care of it.

Just take a few hours and do them all. Then do every large amp fuses underhood fuse box... This will prevent further issue, and hopefully correct your problem too.

Would have been a nice summer project... :)

Any update Bob?

Sorry, I just found your ignition switch thread.

Glad you found your sketchy GP problem.

Replacing thwe ignition switch fixed the problem, I still suggest doing the grounds before spending $130. That way your grounds are done too.

All the links above to a Conductive, corrosion preventing grease aren't active it seems.

I am in need of my yearly ground cleaning ritual, but want to do it this time with such grease. Thanks guys! A friendly remember to all to do this yearly ritual before we find ourselves with cold fingers doing it in the winter time! Seasonal changes REEK HAVOC on grounds and other electrical connections!

I can't see the pics from the manual well enough to make heads or tails of them.

Are there any better pics or links to pics or diagrams of G200, G201 or G202 ?

About G200 ground.

"Behind Left side of instrument panel, below fuse block on tie bar"

Does one have to remove the instrument panel to access this? or is the tie bar the round bar that is easy to see if you just look up under the steering column?

Any pictures of a factory tie in?

I can't see the pics from the manual well enough to make heads or tails of them.

If it's the one below the fuse box, I believe it to be the one accessable from just laying on your back on the wet mat(after rain or snow) looking into the dang curtousy(sp) light(blinding and burning piece of crap(note to self, remove bulb prior to work)) while trying to get to it. This one seems to be the cleanest of all of them most of the time. :)

These from the manual shot thru the camera, not the best but I will try to scan them later (I hope you guys will appreciate me cuttin/removing pages from my manuals binding to scan them) but for now these will work in a pinch

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?14596-6.5-grounds&p=180090&viewfull=1#post180090

X2.....

Tim, don't mean to sound pushy or anything:), but are you gonna get those camera shots of the ground pages in the manual scanned?......Is that the Helms sevice manual? I know they are very expensive........something like a $150 for the set.

http://www.google.com/search?source...nUS370US371&q=Kopr-Shield+by+Thomas+and+Betts

All the links above to a Conductive, corrosion preventing grease aren't active it seems.

I am in need of my yearly ground cleaning ritual, but want to do it this time with such grease. Thanks guys! A friendly remember to all to do this yearly ritual before we find ourselves with cold fingers doing it in the winter time! Seasonal changes REEK HAVOC on grounds and other electrical connections!

Would these pages be in the 2 book 1996 GM service manuals I have someplace?

These from the manual shot thru the camera, not the best but I will try to scan them later (I hope you guys will appreciate me cuttin/removing pages from my manuals binding to scan them) but for now these will work in a pinch

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?14596-6.5-grounds&p=180090&viewfull=1#post180090
X2.....

Tim, don't mean to sound pushy or anything:), but are you gonna get those camera shots of the ground pages in the manual scanned?......Is that the Helms sevice manual? I know they are very expensive........something like a $150 for the set.

Where are all the grounds?
By Michaeljp86 in forum GM 6.5 Diesel Engines Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-11-2009, 04:12 PM .

grounds on my 96
By ak diesel driver in forum GM 6.5 Diesel Engines Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-20-2009, 12:09 AM .

Burb no start... Grounds interior?
By Pillow in forum GM 6.5 Diesel Engines Replies:

Grounds
By Brooklyn Tow in forum GM 6.5 Diesel Engines

Last edited:

Been up to my eyeballs fighting TDI alligators folks, I haven't had but a moment here & there to post, believe it or not I do have another life other than TTS :) here are some camera shots for the G200 & G201 that was asked for clearer info, I haven't had opportunity to do a scan of all of the gnds.

Yes these are from the 98 GM service manual set 1999 edition that I purchased from www.helminc.com new in 2000 when I got the truck.

Helm prints OEM manuals for most US vehicle mfrs, these came from volume 1 of 4 possibly out of print since vehicle no longer in production, ebay or other used book seller the best source for them now.

Item 5 is G200 location, Item 6 is G201 location

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

Should be in the 96 manual, look in the Wiring systems Body & Accessories group that is where it is in the 98 book in my 94 manual it is in the manual marked driveability, emissions, electrical diagnostics manual in subsection titled of all things; ground distribution (section 8A-14-1) , go figure :)

Ya know if those books had a little better index, I might actually be able to find something in them without doing a page by page search.

I gotta thank my wife for doing a lot of the searching for me while I try to muddle through things. She'll say "Is this what you're looking for?"

Anybody know off the top of their head what the bolt size is for the side posts on our batteries? I believe I have one of the ground posts that the screw is slightly loose. I tightened it as much as possible for now and the truck starts quicker now like my old baby. 1/4 turn for a second on the key and she's running.

Back