• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Diesel Injector Rebuild

Basically. The pop off pressure helps to determine the volume of fuel delivered and the timing and duration of that delivery event. The output volume and timing of the IP also affects the parameters of the injection event's pop off pressure setting and its resultant injection volume, timing and duration.

The way I see it.
Set the pop pressure to 1900 PSI.
The duration and volume is then set by the injection pump.
At the time the injector begins its injection cycle is when the pump comes into position to pop that injector. The volume and duration is determined by the pump, a larger pump piston means more fuel and the injector will not stop chattering until that amount of fuel is dispersed through the nozzle. The length of the stroke of the injection pump also comes into play too. And that would also increase the amount of fuel and the length of the duration of the injection cycle.
Now that is all taken from assumations in my head. I hope it dont turn me into the ass portion of that remark. 😹😹😹😹

I also believe that whichever pump is installed on the truck will determine how much fuel passes through the injector at a given cycle.
I do not believe that the injector goes pop once and done. I do believe that the injector probably POPPOPPOP three or four times until the pressure in that cycle is relieved.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're wrong as far as mechanical injector and mechanical/electronically regulated IP function is concerned.

Your multiple injections per combustion event description is more akin to the function of piezoelectric injectors in a high pressure, common rail system such as is found on D-Max, Cummins and Scorpion diesel engines.

You're wrong as far as mechanical injector and mechanical/electronically regulated IP function is concerned.

Your multiple injections per combustion event description is more akin to the function of piezoelectric injectors in a high pressure, common rail system such as is found on D-Max, Cummins and Scorpion diesel engines.
So then each compression stroke of the piston would be just one single POP of the injector ?

No you don’t rebuild the injectors if switching ds4 to db2.

The pop pressure- think of this: if you set it at 2000, the moment fuel pressure is at 2000 the “valve” in the injector opens and it sprays out all the fluid it can until the pressure falls to 1999 psi, then it closes.

How much fuel goes through the injector has 2 factors.
1. How big the hole and pintle is- because bigger hole lets more fuel go through per millisecond.
2. The ip. You can have ip set up to push 65cm3 or 125cm3 (not min max, just saying different amounts you may desire.

Low vs high pop pressure. Higher pressure means when fuel sprays out the hole, it will atomize more. The more atomized the fuel, the faster it can light and better it will burn.

If the ip volume is set, having lower pop pressure means the injector will be open longer. It will open up sooner and close later. So when things are basically stock, lower pop pressure will feel like more power, but you won’t burn all the fuel as good.
When you are burning better percentages of fuel, your efficiency is improved which gives between mpg and power at the same time.

So raising the pop pressure means a hair less fuel as the injector opens and closes. But the entire time it is spraying you get more power per cc of fuel.

Which is better? All the newer diesels go for insane pressure and atomization, but they also get to choose to the millisecond how long it sprays.

The higher pop pressure is not harder on the ip, as the ip is trying to make 4,000 ish psi every stroke already and gets limited.

I always felt factory was too low- used to drop turbo injectors into na engines and they had better power and better mpg with no other changes

Why is too high bad thing? NoX.

And so if rebuilding our own injectors, about 2,000 PSI would be a good pop pressure ?
I believe I have read that there was some sort of a slight problem when pop pressures was set to go off about 2,200 PSI but I dont remember what problems were encountered.
Longer cranking time to fire up or some such. 🤷‍♂️😹

Well, remember that the Italians did build the Fix It Again Tony X1/9 corrosion mobile, and now own and build Chrysler and Ram, @MrMarty51!
I have an Italian made 54-70 Hi Wall rifle. Very precision and accurate. I love shooting that firearm. Flip up the sight, 2,000 yards. Maybe now with my fixed eyes I can see fhat phar. 😹😹😹

I been running FREE new reman BWD injectors since 3 of 2017.
I found my parts receipt, Oriellys had gave me credit back for the new injectors plus the core charge. Guess I cant try to collect warranty on that. 🤓😹😹😹
And so, it comes down to the question to reman my injectors or buy the balanced units from QuadStar Tuning.
Leroy does have sets of injectors, I emailed him, his website says out of stock, so I emailed him back to see if his injectors are balanced.
Waiting on a reply from Rockabillyrat too.
those are the exact injectors I have currently in my truck. reman BWD's I had thought at one time (right after I installed them) the truck was knocking. thinking maybe the injectors were making the noise. but I have since swapped around (traded lefts for rights) and there wasn't any change. truck is running fine now but again I think I am at less than 20k miles on them.

I want to learn to rebuild my own but just haven't had the time to attempt anything.

I just looked further into my records. I replaced mine in two steps. did the drivers side around Feb 2021 and the passengers side later in the spring/summer of the same year. about 15k on them now. I had 277k on the ticker in March, today it's 291 almost 292k. so I just might be in the same boat soon as @MrMarty51

Back