• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Diesel Injector Rebuild

Yes getting the 25 psi is a pain in the... fingers. 3000 grit wet sand paper —wet so no airborn particles. I actually had a 2” deep pan with glass sheet in it. Spray glued the sandpaper to the glass and had 1” water over the sandpaper. Figure 8 sanding for getting the sealing surfaces and the spring. I did all the sealing surfaces first, got the shimming as close as possible. Then comes fine tuning by sanding the spring.

It is a monotonous, pain. I relate it to porting heads. We cheated in the shop by attaching a sheet of glass to an orbital sander with silicone. Stick on the sandpaper that was something like 800 grit if I remember right. That was done outside the clean room.
A simple note in a divider tray how much each one was over and had a chart on the wall. The d.a. sander was mounted upside down. Permanent and had a foot pedal air switch. Each pound over was like a couple seconds in the sander. Then they went back in the room after rinsing of them and your hands for the fine sanding.

I don’t remember any of the thickness= pressure stuff. That was over 20 years ago.
Everything was in metric, not sae.

I fully understand why mass production never got them close. doing the final run on an open gauge- almost impossible. Having the gauge stay on peak pressure is crucial.

Understand when I say that 25 psi- it makes a nice difference. But it is like getting all the pistons/pin/rod to weigh the same and removing the weight so the rod has same weight on top identical and bottoms identical. None of this is easy. But I don’t remember having to do that to all of them. I could swear shimming got 75-80% of them in that range. Maybe it was higher amount we did that made it easier? Maybe we had better shim selection? Maybe our springs were more consistent?

@ak diesel driver - if you test the SAME injector 40 times, are you getting exact reading every time?

Pretty close but I do need to get a better gauge
The gauge on the OTC tester at the state, it had a needle that could be dialed back to 0. When we pop tested or chatter tested, the needle would stay at the highest reading. That was mighty handy.
The state also had a huge shim and seal collection. When a shim or seal was needed, us mechs would not buy one or two, we’d buy a whole package.
I’ll have to check with the new shop super, see if they still have all those shims and seals. I’m sure there would not be much in there that would be usable in this new stuff that they now have.
Be worth a try and see if I could get a small selection.

Years ago I lucked out, Bought an old Bacharach? tester at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Was a WWII 'Navy Stores' unit, needed the filter & the plastic cup (where fluid goes). What a score!

As for the disks, well, there used to be a local 'Ecology' auto salvage yard nearby. This one had LOTS of ooold Mercedes diesel junkers. I would dis-assemble the nozzles & keep the shims, (typically the actual nozzles were junk). I now have 100+ shims, 6.2 - 6.5 - Bosch & bosch nozzles from MB diesels use the same dimension shims. Shims are the same even tho nozzles/complete nozzle assy's are different. I have a 6.2 Blazer, 300CD Merz, & have had 240MB diesels, shims all the same!. Actually the shims have slightly different holes in the center, this does not affect their usage. Home-made shims will not last for long, if you can cut the metal, its not hard enough. I have found that shims of the "same" measured thickness (with calipers) will give slightly different (pop off) pressures if you wanna get super close pressures. When I got within 15-25 psi's, Hallelujah!

-c-

(diesel fuel works but calibrating fluid is better for long term storage of nozzles)

Most of the shim kits ive seen offer thicknesses from 0.80 to 1.95 mm - each size increasing by 0.05 mm (.002"). That way you can make fine adjustments. So if you got a few .002" shims you could use them to adjust your injectors to balance the pop pressure on all 8. If your increasing pop by a few hundred PSI then using the correct thicker shim would be a better idea.

I bought 3 packages of shims from a eBay seller diesel-parts9000 a few days ago based in Germany.There’s 18 in a package ranging from 1.0mm to 1.89mm.I’m using stanadyne injectors in one of my trucks and Bosch India in the other but I picked up another set of injectors that I plan to fine tune with Bosch nozzles coming from Latvia.The shims are $11 US per package.Just passing this along in case someone needs them.They are also 11.5mm diameter.

I bought 3 packages of shims from a eBay seller diesel-parts9000 a few days ago based in Germany.There’s 18 in a package ranging from 1.0mm to 1.89mm.I’m using stanadyne injectors in one of my trucks and Bosch India in the other but I picked up another set of injectors that I plan to fine tune with Bosch nozzles coming from Latvia.The shims are $11 US per package.Just passing this along in case someone needs them.They are also 11.5mm diameter.
Thanks for the info, I will look them up. I haven't perused any further on this project but plan to get going on it soon after the new year begins :)

That’s weird.When I found the link the first time around it stated $28 to have the shims sent to Canada so I can’t see why he won’t ship to the US.I’d probably send him a message and see what he says.

This looks to be the same thing. I did some searching on ebay and found this. different listing but same seller!

Back