• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 carnage

Spun bearing(s) mean line boring and if one or more main yournal is worn in it means welding it/them up before one can line bore.
Not a cheap process by any means.

I have a 3450 cat with one bad main. they quoted me $1300 + for spray welding it up and line bore

Spray welding is a unique process. Used to repair glass bottle moulds in my previous life as a professional welder. An oxy-acetelyne torch connected to an air supply with a pot of cast iron dust attached upstream. And a keen eye.

Not quite related to this thread, but a funny story anyway. Many years back, in the military, I was one of a few drivers who were tasked with maintaining equipment while the main battle group went back to home base for R and R. (we didn't get to go, but that is another story)

One memorable day, we had to take 3 unimog diesels from one camp to another, we did a "cross check" with each other, "coolant checked? Yes, Oil checked? Yes etc."

About 2 miles down the road, the vehicle in front of me let out an almight bang, spewed smoke out the tailpipe and from the engine bay and came to a grinding (literally) halt.

A quick inspection revealed the problem, a huge hole in the side of the engine block, a further quick inspection revealed the root cause, the engine oi dipstick was rusty !!! Numb Nuts hadn't bothered to check the oil at all (maybe something to do with his level of weed consumption). One very expensibve Mercedes diesel engine now a useless lump of iron.

A quick action plan was put into place, I returned from whence we had come and "borrowed" a small drum of oil. Returned to the scene of the carnage and refilled the oil. THEN we radioedfor the recovery mechanics. They (the mechanics) were mystified as to how the engine could have done that to itself, the oil of course was at the correct level. Needles to say it remained a secret between us.

Spray welding is a unique process. Used to repair glass bottle moulds in my previous life as a professional welder. An oxy-acetelyne torch connected to an air supply with a pot of cast iron dust attached upstream. And a keen eye.
I didn't know you were a welder in a previous life 3500GMC, sounds like your experiences were different than mine.

Worked in a machine shop/ maintenance machine shop some years back. They also had a weld shop. Wide and varying stuff to tinker with.

You know. Someone who is getting ready to buy a 6.5 should NOT come to this thread.... Just sayin

End of life on some things like engines is interesting to see. Drop a valve in a gas engine or stretch rod bolts till they spin a bearing or let go. Imagine what I would have posted running a gas engine? The short time, 1 week, I did a gas transmission was toast. The AC compressor belt departed the gas engine. :nonod:

So in context of a light duty diesel in a heavy duty application it isn't bad.

Best use of this thread is to get the price of your 6.5 purchase down. Best use of this site is to see how to get the 'cheap' 6.5/6.2 to live...

:welcome2:

I think more of a week spot causing fatigue in that piston,. or maybe a bad casting.
Well with 415k kms, or 260k miles for our southern neighbors, and Les. That ain't too bad, it would be in the 8000 hr range.

Back