• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

bobb

Reaction score
I need a chevy 6.0 truck engine. i would like a new one but Chevy says they arent available. The last 3 remans I put in this thing didnt last more than 500 miles combined. Who does a good reman job? I dont want to have to do this myself, I dont have the time.

What year truck is it? And what is failing in them? The lq4 in stock form is well known to run 400k+ miles. It's just a tough engine and stock tuning is very conservative. If you're having that much trouble, I would be looking for something to be causing it as the 6.0l is a pretty tough engine. There's literally hundreds of them that have been pulled out of the junkyard with 200k miles on them, had nothing done to them but open the ring gap on the top ring, slap on some different heads to up the compression ratio, cam swap, put a turbo on it, and taken out and beat to piss and back racing at 650hp+.

09 Original owner replaced the engine with a gm reman. When I came across it it had a rod knock. Installed a reman and found that the starter would not bolt up due to the starter bolt hole being messed up. That whole block looked as if it came from the bottom of the ocean. The inside was probly just as bad. Installed another reman and it instantly had a rod knock worse than the rod knocked engine that was in it. Yanked that out and installed another reman. That lasted less than 500 miles. It is now locked up can rotate maybe 2 or 3 degrees either way. Pulled a plug and it was destroyed.

Wow, feel bad for ya. Your truck killed more 6.0 engines than any non-racing vehicle I ever heard of. Thinking some dishonest folks sold junkyard unknowns ad rebuilt engines. Most of the time they would get away with it.

The way you describe the ocean engine supports it. Anyone that rebuilds an engine even half way proper would address that.

Who is the rebuilder?

I know that Jasper can get some negative comments, and at the same time the shop I use loves them as the service and warranty support is excellent.

A T K Worse yet the warranty dept says the rod knocker dosent have a rod knock. So that means they wont want to pay me for the preliminary diagnostics they asked me to do. Also seems like they are going to blame the driver for the locked up engine. This sucks, I put alot of my own time into this cause its for a church.

I know that the, I think it was the 6.0 gasser, they had some piston slap noise that the warranty could not get rid of. Seemed those engines run a very long time with that slap.

I know that the, I think it was the 6.0 gasser, they had some piston slap noise that the warranty could not get rid of. Seemed those engines run a very long time with that slap.
That was primarily the 4.8l & 5.3l built before 04. GM used a very short piston skirt that was uncoated, and they slapped when cold.

Ive owned a couple rigs with the LS 6.0. Probably the best gas engine I’ve ever driven. Simple changes for great mpg, great power, or a happy middle ground. Have a friend that put a 6.0 into a cj5. He daily drives with 33” tires getting 28 mpg. Then changes setting on tuner and rips rooster tails a mile high in the dunes. Unless one is pushed for full out racing, Ive never heard of one going terminal in less than 200,000.
If I had realized how much I like the 6.0 LS, I would have bought a gasser 95 hummer and dropped in a charged 6.0 instead of getting the 6.5 hummer.

Back