• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5.7 swap to 6.5 turbo diesel

DeckerZ71

Reaction score
Hey everyone i'm new to the site and i wanted to get some peoples advice. I have a 5.7 liter gas engine for my 1995 Chevy K1500 truck and I wanted peoples advice about maybe swapping the 5.7 out for the 6.5 turbo diesel and wheather or not i can use my automatic that i have in there now which is a 4L60E and anything else that you might be able to give me advice on. Thanks Zach.

Well, put the word diesel in the search box under cars and trucks in any craiglist area you want to travel to, and a 1500 6.5L auto 4x4 ECSB will likely pop up.

The time, money, and labor of converting it will be alot, so I think just buy another.

Very questionable if a 4l60 could hold up to a 6.5 turbo. All 6.5 turbos[that I know of] came with a 4l80e tranny. You would need a whole donor truck to get all of the diesel equipment from. Not impossible but not cost effective. All wiring harness' and instrament cluster are different. A huge project and marginal tranny. Personally I wouldn't do it but to each his own. What's your time worth?

i would say with that style truck it wouldnt be worth it unless youv resently redon the body and interior and it lifted to the sky. but on the other hand i may end up doing this with a cclb SRW if i cannot find one with a 6.5, they are rather hard to come buy.

I would like to do this to a tahoe,but I wouldn't use a 4l60e,although you can build them with hummer planetaries now , stock they don't even hold up to the vortec 350, I would probably use a 5spd and mechanical pump for myself,or manual valvebody 4l80e.

It would be cheaper to just purchase a half ton 6.5TD and a lot less work! ):h

Alaska is by far the most beautiful place I have ever lived our visited. I was lucky enough to live their for almost 5 years. The Army forced me to leave! :thumbsup:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1616727800.html

if you dont mind going to denver,

The way I see it, you are gonna buy a truck. either one to part out to convert yours, or a good one to use.

And In my opinion, I would rather own two awesome trucks, rather than one. That away, if one breaks down, you have the other running one.

Always help to have redundancy. Although that means double insurance, etc.

You can get the 4L60E to work, since it was offered on some 6.5 trucks, but not a tranny I would ever use again after dealing with it in my Z28. I'm sure I could easily make a tune from a N/A truck that had 4L60E work in a turbo truck.

Hey everyone i'm new to the site and i wanted to get some peoples advice. I have a 5.7 liter gas engine for my 1995 Chevy K1500 truck and I wanted peoples advice about maybe swapping the 5.7 out for the 6.5 turbo diesel and wheather or not i can use my automatic that i have in there now which is a 4L60E and anything else that you might be able to give me advice on. Thanks Zach.

It can be done but I would sugest useing a manual injection pump from a 6.2L as the electronic pump on the 6.5L is computer controled with a electronic accelerator sensor setup and would require all of the wireing harnnes frlm a 6.5 with the manual 6.2L injection pump the engine is not controled by the computer. Fyi th e 6.2 and 6.5 are almost identical exept for bore and injection pumps and a oil port for the turbo

I pretty much had a 6.5 given to me I don't want to start a new thread what all would I need to do the swap in a 350 truck I have everything to make the motor run in the Hydro Boost brake system what else and my transmission is an nv4500

More Engine weight= more suspension.
Diesel tank requires return line submerged to height of pickup.
2 batteries (still 12 volt net) for starter.
If you need obd1 or2 for smog or emmisions- its a can of worms.
Required engine oil cooler
Do power steering/booster cooler also.

This engine should never be over 210, best at 195 ect. Big happy radiator. Even the factory bumper had the holes for more air. Install what you have, and be careful. Expect to upgrade ($$).

I would ditch factory dash and do all aftermarket gauges if you don’t understand how to bypass and rig factory gauges
Coolant temp
Oil pressure
Voltage
Fuel pressure
Tach
Boost
Egt
This engine has it’s good and bad things. If you have not spent hours reading and learning, I suggest you do.
Don’t hesitate to start your own thread to hit all the details you may need to learn.

Back